The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Tomás is starting to annoy me now to be honest.
He's opted for the archetypal Kerry man schtick with a Brolly-esque slouch thrown in for good measure.
"Lookit Des, I suppose..."
Plus he's dressing like an utter gimp every week.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Itchy

RTE should be asking themselves why are sky so far ahead of them in only 1 season.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Itchy on June 30, 2015, 12:55:43 PM
RTE should be asking themselves why are sky so far ahead of them in only 1 season.

I'd imagine that RTE will be trotting out stuff about the huge numbers that watch GAA on RTE and thinking this means they are doing a decent job.

However when you look at the numbers TG4 get for their GAA coverage (despite not having any rights for the championship which is the primary competition) and despite it being in a language only a tiny number in the country actually use, it really doesn't paint the numbers watching on RTE in such a glowing light, especially when you have to actually go out and make a choice and pay money to watch championship on the other channel.

The GAA sports department seem to have the notion that people watch GAA on RTE because of them, when for a serious number it's a case of putting up with them in order to see GAA action.

Sooner the GAA have their own television station the better.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2015, 11:17:23 AM
He's opted for the archetypal Kerry man schtick with a Brolly-esque slouch thrown in for good measure.

If you are looking for cliche city, he is your man. In my mind, a great footballer, but hopeless as a pundit and worse as a guest writer or what ever you call him. I just zone out when he talks.
The apparent smugness is also bothering me.
The overall quality of the show and presenters is poor. The comment on Sky and how they run their show is very accurate. Way ahead of The sunday game. It would be great if they could do a similar show on a sunday evening.

For post match analysis, McStay (who sometime can be crap as a commentator) and Whealan are miles ahead of the rest.
McHugh used to annoy the sh*t out of me, but his recent appearances have been decent. I did not see this sunday yet. But he did make a lot of sense regarding provincial honchos having a complete grip on GAA or something to that effect a few weeks ago.

Pub Bore

Quote from: joemamas on June 30, 2015, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2015, 11:17:23 AM

If you are looking for cliche city, he is your man. In my mind, a great footballer, but hopeless as a pundit and worse as a guest writer or what ever you call him. I just zone out when he talks.
The apparent smugness is also bothering me.
The overall quality of the show and presenters is poor. The comment on Sky and how they run their show is very accurate. Way ahead of The sunday game. It would be great if they could do a similar show on a sunday evening.

For post match analysis, McStay (who sometime can be crap as a commentator) and Whealan are miles ahead of the rest.
McHugh used to annoy the sh*t out of me, but his recent appearances have been decent. I did not see this sunday yet. But he did make a lot of sense regarding provincial honchos having a complete grip on GAA or something to that effect a few weeks ago.

Quick summary:  He didn't really finish a sentence, made a joke about Kerry women/Monaghan men that was embarrassing, told the weaker counties buck themselves up a bit to get closer to the big counties and then came out with the most bizarre piece of "analysis" I've ever heard linking the end of the Troubles to the poor performance of the six counties in the championship.

Dangleberrys

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 29, 2015, 12:02:20 PM
Quote from: StephenC on June 29, 2015, 11:57:26 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 28, 2015, 11:54:17 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 28, 2015, 11:40:44 PM
And apparently the 6 Northern counties need the troubles back to be successful again!

I thought that's what he said!

McHug's drink must've been spiked tonight. He's not usually this mad.

I beg to differ. He's a poor pundit IMO and while I didn't see the SG, it sounds like he's put his foot in his mouth again. He's rightly a legend in Donegal but punditry isn't his thing.
His writing in the papers is complete rubbish as well
I've no idea how McHugh gets all the gigs he's managed but fair play to him, or more-so his PR team.
Once I see his lips move I presume he's talking about some other sport altogether, he really doesn't have a clue. 
He is clinging to the 'Brolly' cliche of been controversial for the sake of it(also been embarrassingly tried by O'Hara/Cake/etc).

Tomas is suffering from what all new pundits suffer from - after 1 or 2 shows, all has been said. Everything else is a cliche.  But he's in a small group of football pundits over the past few decades - as in he was a defender.  These positions are usually held for Midfield/Forward 'heroes', so I'll give him some more time for this.

But, when these guys enter the environs of the RTE studio, its either Funeral/Formal/Fancy Dress attire, which dictates the stuffiness/stiffness of the current program.
There is no space for banter or real personality, it looks and feels like every minute is scripted.  Its almost frowned upon to smile or laugh or joke - old school programming at its best.
So, brighten up the studio, lose the feckin suits, throw in a few couches, add a few touch screens, have at least one new face on the screen every few weeks for variety and away  you go....

Syferus

If anything there's too much joking going on..

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dangleberrys on June 30, 2015, 02:59:15 PM
Tomas is suffering from what all new pundits suffer from - after 1 or 2 shows, all has been said. Everything else is a cliche.  But he's in a small group of football pundits over the past few decades - as in he was a defender.  These positions are usually held for Midfield/Forward 'heroes', so I'll give him some more time for this.

Hadn't thought about that on the new pundits thing.

Interesting point about him being a defender - figures crossed he could do more to highlight good defending.

squire_in_navy_slacks

In fairness to KMcStay hes very good to be fair, he has every detail of the game covered .................... him Whelan and ORourke would make a nice panel, Id love to see David Brady get at least one gig, Id imagine he'd be good as a roving reporter for rte ala  wooly for newstalk, just keep pitch side for the whooping and schelping 

oakleaflad

There was feck all wrong with Anthony Tohill. 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 30, 2015, 04:12:31 PM
In fairness to KMcStay hes very good to be fair, he has every detail of the game covered .................... him Whelan and ORourke would make a nice panel, Id love to see David Brady get at least one gig, Id imagine he'd be good as a roving reporter for rte ala  wooly for newstalk, just keep pitch side for the whooping and schelping

I have to say I think Newstalk's GAA coverage is miles ahead of RTE Radio and it's  even better than when Second Captains use to run it, Molloy and Gilroy just let the analysts get on with it. Great interview with Tom Cribben last night and top analysis from Wooly (knows more than his Jack the lad persona sometimes lets on) and James Horan. Horan actually claimed Dublin are playing football at a level that no team has ever played at but unlike Parkinson thinks they might be caught at AI semi stage. It was just positive stuff miles away from Brolly et al.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 30, 2015, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 30, 2015, 04:12:31 PM

I have to say I think Newstalk's GAA coverage is miles ahead of RTE Radio and it's  even better than when Second Captains use to run it, Molloy and Gilroy just let the analysts get on with it. Great interview with Tom Cribben last night and top analysis from Wooly (knows more than his Jack the lad persona sometimes lets on) and James Horan. Horan actually claimed Dublin are playing football at a level that no team has ever played at but unlike Parkinson thinks they might be caught at AI semi stage. It was just positive stuff miles away from Brolly et al.

I agree with that, Dinny. I heard that show last night and when I thought about it I realised it's the first bit of media football talk I've listened to for years. I don't listen at all to the TV punditry on RTE. But if that's bad, the shite on the radio is even worse. Brian Carty and players from the teams playing this week "I-supposing" each other for half an hour and talking in utter banalities. Or worse, Marty Morrissey. I'm totally serious when I say I get far better football conversation in my local. And some of them are rugby heads. And they're all from Cork!

But the talk last night was utterly absorbing and informative. I was surprised Woolly made sense. Who knew? But Horan was very interesting and knowledgeable.

AZOffaly

As Clough said about Roy Keane, Woolie is 'more deceptive than he looks'. Newstalks chat is just miles ahead. It's positive and you sense they actually like the game.

The RTE boys act like they are on a permanent pilgrimage to Lough Derg.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 30, 2015, 04:57:28 PM
As Clough said about Roy Keane, Woolie is 'more deceptive than he looks'. Newstalks chat is just miles ahead. It's positive and you sense they actually like the game.

The RTE boys act like they are on a permanent pilgrimage to Lough Derg.

In fairness who couldn't love watching Brolly stropping around the place like Kevin the Teenager from Harry Enfield and Spillane coming out with guff that a Healy-Rae would be embarrassed by.

Jinxy

I like Woolly, he knows his stuff but doesn't take himself at all seriously.
Not mad about Gilroy, I think Joe Molloy is much easier to listen to.
They have a good laugh without going OTT on 'the banter' as well.
If you were any use you'd be playing.