Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpitin

From the outside looks like dooher and logan dont have a clue....

While up the road in Louth mickey is working absolute wonders with lets be real, a poor louth team

Should have held onto him

southtyronegael

Quote from: lumpitin on March 01, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

While up the road in Louth mickey is working absolute wonders with lets be real, a poor louth team

good  job we didn't or we wouldn't have won our fourth all Ireland.

tyrone08

Quote from: lumpitin on March 01, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Naw it was time to let mickey go. Tyrone wouldnt have won the all ireland with him as he was too cautious. Mickey turned great at bit getting hammered but was always too cautious to win the big prize.

Tyrone need a mixed approach with a more direct style of football. Get another manager in who has a clear plan and give them a few years to implement it

tyroneman

The biggest problem with L&D is that there is no discernable style of football evident.

The AI was won off the back of Harte's defensive approach, with a little bit more freedom given to forwards and a quicker transition.

Last year and this year..... no idea what the style the team is trying to implement - it's neither this fabled 'front foot' attacking play, nor park the bus, nor any coherent mix of the 2.

If it's a case of building a team that can adapt and switch styles to suit games, or even within games, that's fine...but you have to be proficient at one thing as a default baseline and then develop the other options over a year or 2.....

Tyrone seem to be 5/10 at everything currently

square_ball

Quote from: tyroneman on March 01, 2023, 01:16:13 PM
The biggest problem with L&D is that there is no discernable style of football evident.

The AI was won off the back of Harte's defensive approach, with a little bit more freedom given to forwards and a quicker transition.

Last year and this year..... no idea what the style the team is trying to implement - it's neither this fabled 'front foot' attacking play, nor park the bus, nor any coherent mix of the 2.

If it's a case of building a team that can adapt and switch styles to suit games, or even within games, that's fine...but you have to either be proficient at one thing as a default baseline and then develop the other options at least over a year or 2.....

Tyrone seem to be 5/10 at everything currently

I think that's a fair summary. I can see us trying to go fairly defensive this week against Kerry. If we are shipping 3 goals to Roscommon and 4 goals to Mayo with our current approach (whatever that is) then its probably the sensible option.

We've beaten Kerry is our last 3 games - going to stick my neck on the line and go for a Tyrone win by 2 points on Sunday. . . and then probably beat by Monaghan and Armagh!

Under Lights

Fully agree, L&D won it with MH team but the lads had a lift with new management in. Now that they have been in charge for some time its clear they haven't really got a clue.

sam03/05

Yeah - Dooher x3 AI as a player / x2 as captain (how many others in GAA have done this?)
X 1 AI u21 as manager - x1 AI senior as manager

But doesn't have a clue (according to some idiot who posts on a message board)

tyrone08

Quote from: sam03/05 on March 01, 2023, 07:05:37 PM
Yeah - Dooher x3 AI as a player / x2 as captain (how many others in GAA have done this?)
X 1 AI u21 as manager - x1 AI senior as manager

But doesn't have a clue (according to some idiot who posts on a message board)

So you are happy with the team for the last 2 out 3 years they have been in charge?

sam03/05

Delighted with their first year yes as they won an All Ireland, it could be another 10-15 years before one comes along again, no matter who's in charge. So we will be forever indebted to them for that.
Obviously not happy with recent performances, but it's out of order to say they have no clue, given what they have won at senior and u21 and that Dooher has had a hand in every AI title the county has ever won as a leader of the team on and off the field. I think the comment 'not a clue' is out of order, in that respect.

I would say they got the best out of a group of players that peaked from 2018 AI final to 2021 and that a rebuilding process will have to take place. Unfortunately for them there is not really a group of 24 year olds ready to go. Most players seem to peak now around 28 with the lifestyle needed. Unfortunately we have quite a few 30 year olds. The talent coming through is a bit younger - around 19-21 year olds - so we may have to suffer a few barren years. But coming on a message board and having a hissy fit at newer players and management  does not help.

rrhf

Quote from: sam03/05 on March 01, 2023, 09:14:43 PM
Delighted with their first year yes as they won an All Ireland, it could be another 10-15 years before one comes along again, no matter who's in charge. So we will be forever indebted to them for that.
Obviously not happy with recent performances, but it's out of order to say they have no clue, given what they have won at senior and u21 and that Dooher has had a hand in every AI title the county has ever won as a leader of the team on and off the field. I think the comment 'not a clue' is out of order, in that respect.

I would say they got the best out of a group of players that peaked from 2018 AI final to 2021 and that a rebuilding process will have to take place. Unfortunately for them there is not really a group of 24 year olds ready to go. Most players seem to peak now around 28 with the lifestyle needed. Unfortunately we have quite a few 30 year olds. The talent coming through is a bit younger - around 19-21 year olds - so we may have to suffer a few barren years. But coming on a message board and having a hissy fit at newer players and management  does not help.
100 percent agree... I'm still basking from 2021. It was unexpected and immense. I'm worried about players performances etc but I also think they get too much flak and can understand management loyalty to guys who have been superb servants and are perhaps on the way down a little. What they have given us deserves time to work  things out .

An Watcher

Listening to mcginley and whelans podcast earlier and they both agreed that derrys strategy could catch them out yet.  Still early in the year and they're clearly going hell for leather.  Am i clutching at straws or coukd Tyrone be holding back til the business end of the championship? 

tyrone08

Think you are clutching lol. They have lost too many quality players without replacing them. Core of the team is approaching retirement and they don't seem to have a game plan.

trailer

Tyrone's downfall can all be traced back to Ronan O'Neill's whingefest in the paper. Everyone felt they should be starting rather than doing something to deserve a jersey. He was the first cancer and it just spread from there.

tyrone08

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2023, 06:50:55 PM
Tyrone's downfall can all be traced back to Ronan O'Neill's whingefest in the paper. Everyone felt they should be starting rather than doing something to deserve a jersey. He was the first cancer and it just spread from there.

Of all the players to whinge he has nothing to complain about. He was given far more chances than say Lee brennan. There does seem to be a softness to the players in tyrone these days unlike in the 2000s. Lads now are too interested in their tight tops and hair rather than knuckling down and fighting for a place.

God14

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 04, 2023, 07:24:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2023, 06:50:55 PM

Of all the players to whinge he has nothing to complain about. He was given far more chances than say Lee brennan. There does seem to be a softness to the players in tyrone these days unlike in the 2000s. Lads now are too interested in their tight tops and hair rather than knuckling down and fighting for a place.

Completely agree. We are a characterless side these days.
Bland.