Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I can only speak for myself, but even from most of the boys I played with, they didn't need a manager to motivate them, whether that was acutely via battering tables/shouting etc. or more long term. When they were there, be that at training or matches, they all gave 100%. I saw it as near a given that the players who make it through to senior level all have one trait in common, in that they are extremely competitive which constantly fuels motivation. Soccer is a different story altogether and the riches involved seem to be the differentiator in that it's probably the main reason why motivation for players goes lowers.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trueblue1234

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 20, 2022, 06:35:07 PM
I can only speak for myself, but even from most of the boys I played with, they didn't need a manager to motivate them, whether that was acutely via battering tables/shouting etc. or more long term. When they were there, be that at training or matches, they all gave 100%. I saw it as near a given that the players who make it through to senior level all have one trait in common, in that they are extremely competitive which constantly fuels motivation. Soccer is a different story altogether and the riches involved seem to be the differentiator in that it's probably the main reason why motivation for players goes lowers.

Wouldn't be my experience at all. I've seen boys got at it like warriors for a good manager. But muddle along under lesser managers who were unable to motivate.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

Motivation is more than just banging a table getting Lads psyched for a game. It is convincing them to commit for a season, to buy into the team or the vision or the style of football. It is convincing the fringe player to keep plugging away.

trueblue1234

Quote from: LeoMc on August 20, 2022, 10:22:17 PM
Motivation is more than just banging a table getting Lads psyched for a game. It is convincing them to commit for a season, to buy into the team or the vision or the style of football. It is convincing the fringe player to keep plugging away.
Absolutely. There's many a manager good at the table thumping, do or die, let's get at them, speeches but lack the longer game.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

nrico2006

There's a difference between motivation and commitment.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

LeoMc

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 21, 2022, 12:40:04 AM

There's a difference between motivation and commitment.
Motivating them to commit!

Stan

IMHO anyone playing at elite level sport doesn't necessarily need motivated...at that level they need good leadership, organisation and a solid sense of team.
And the occasional solid boot up the hole.

lenny

Quote from: Stan on August 21, 2022, 01:33:24 PM
IMHO anyone playing at elite level sport doesn't necessarily need motivated...at that level they need good leadership, organisation and a solid sense of team.
And the occasional solid boot up the hole.

Yeah, good leadership, organisation and a solid sense of team can be very motivational and inspiring. The bottom line is that really good managers can get an extra few percent out of most players in a group.

toby47

tyrone08

Quote from: toby47 on August 28, 2022, 10:03:57 PM
McKenna back to Oz.

Seems like he hasnt a clue what he wants. Spent years in afl complaining about being home sick now he wants to go back. He never was committed to tyrone so better off in the long run without him

Under Lights

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 28, 2022, 10:09:37 PM
McKenna back to Oz.

Seems like he hasnt a clue what he wants. Spent years in afl complaining about being home sick now he wants to go back. He never was committed to tyrone so better off in the long run without him

Harsh, he was only a child when he first went to oz. Probably always felt like he was missing out back home, now that he has had 2 years he has realised that he enjoyed oz better and the opportunity is still there for him so why not.

tyrone08

Quote from: Under Lights on August 28, 2022, 10:14:14 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 28, 2022, 10:09:37 PM
McKenna back to Oz.

Harsh, he was only a child when he first went to oz. Probably always felt like he was missing out back home, now that he has had 2 years he has realised that he enjoyed oz better and the opportunity is still there for him so why not.

Wouldn't say its harsh at all. Always talking in the media about how he didn't like oz while still under contract. Came home then started talking about how horses is his passion and gaelic football isn't.

He must be about 26-27now, time to pick something and stick with it.

Would bet on it after a few years back in oz he will be in the media again saying he doesn't like it.

WT4E

Would agree. Seems like wanting to be different Is his thing and doesn't know what he wants. I hope he is happy back in Australia. Would be a dream for alot of lads to have done what he's done so enjoy it and less complaining.

Jim Bob

Scoring Zone

Quote from: WT4E on August 28, 2022, 10:33:40 PM
Would agree. Seems like wanting to be different Is his thing and doesn't know what he wants. I hope he is happy back in Australia. Would be a dream for alot of lads to have done what he's done so enjoy it and less complaining.

He seems a fairly carefree/easy going  sort of personality which would suggest this flitting about with what he wants, but in the cold reality, he achieved what he said he wanted come back and win the AI with Tyrone, but equally, bar the league games in 20 where he looked that he would properly be a headline talent, much of the 21 AI championship and 22 he was pretty inconsistent at best (albeit with huge game defining moments, without them no AI) and his club performances where dirt - he will leave abit of a gap in the squad not not a big one