Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHandTom

Quote from: ose 14 on February 14, 2017, 11:12:35 PM
mark bradley has a lot to do yet to convince he played two big games last week for uuj and tyrone and scored nowt. hardly the stuff of legend. however he may improve. big sean looks leggy but thats hardly surprising. not convinced that either of those 2 have what it takes in a ff line. mcshane might be an option in 2020. lee brennan for me all day with mattie donnelly, but that would be a leap too far for an ultra conservative sideline.

+1
Why on earth is Lee Brennan not getting a look in? He's as good if not better than anything we have

Club boi

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 14, 2017, 10:07:10 PM
Quote from: Club boi on February 14, 2017, 05:11:21 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 14, 2017, 11:11:39 AM
I can't picture Paul O'Neill at all. Did he only play during the league?

Interesting that half forward line that was mentioned above of Sludden, Mattie and Harte. It certainly has a lot of scoring potential which our FF line has been lacking lately. With the way teams set up nowadays and it becoming so hard for inside forwards to get time and space to shoot then maybe we should have most of our score takers out on the 40. Sludden seems to have really pushed on and is the new Peter Harte. He's very good and breaking the tackle and running direct and kicking points.

Half back line you have a lot of players fighting for a place there as well. McNabb, Justy, Brennan, McCann and probably Munroe
McClure seems to have settled in well and is a big lad to partner Colm with McNulty another option who likes to attack.

The full forward line will be the problem area again but you would imagine Sean and Bradley will be first choice if fit so it depends on who gets the other corner. I would play McShane there just for his ball winning qualities alone and also he can drop back and act as a third midfielder. Sean needs to start hitting our left sided frees again and I really wish he would stay in around the square as he showed a few years back he's still very strong under the high ball into him and with Bradley zipping around him they could be a great partnership. Of course then you've got McCurry, Lee Brennan, Meyler, Richie Donnelly and Ronan O'Neill as options from the bench. My own best 15 would be
Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McCarron
Brennan
Justy or McNabb
McCann
Colm
McClure
Harte
Mattie
Sludden
McShane
Sean
Bradley

I wonder how would Richie Donnelly do in at FF? Does he always play MF for Trillick?

I have yet to see Mc Shane win many balls. Looked terribly out of position, slow and laboured in FF last Saturday night, or perhaps the tv done him no favours

If your going to pick your best team, pick 15. Not 16 as above

Count again, its only 15!

Good team by the way. IMO McShane is a future midfielder. He's there for St Marys in Sigerson and doing well. I'd see Richie Donnelly as being an excellent full forward. He played there for Jordanstown about 5 or 6 years ago and was very good.

Looks like 16 Names/Players to Me

What are people basing their Lee Brennan is better than Bradley theory on?? Both great players but still young and inexperienced

If it's Club performance Bradley wins hands down. The last 2 games Bradley played was against the Reigning All Ireland and Reigning Sigerson Holders, and you's are judging him heavily on that. Would Brennan of done any better??

Redhand Santa

Lee Brennan is another example of why its better to be on the bench than the team in terms of people's perception of you. He's been talked up as someone who should be an automatic starter based on very little. In reality he's a young lad still developing and not ready to be starting at senior county level yet. Hopefully over the next year or two he will develop into a player capable of starting and has plenty of ability but the disbelief that he's not starting is just stupid.

The same boys who were shouting for Ronan O'Neill to be given a run of games a year or two ago and building him up similar to Brennan are now the same boys giving out that he's on the team.

vallankumous

mark bradley has a lot to do yet to convince he played two big games last week for uuj and tyrone and scored nowt. hardly the stuff of legend. however he may improve. big sean looks leggy but thats hardly surprising. not convinced that either of those 2 have what it takes in a ff line. mcshane might be an option in 2020. lee brennan for me all day with mattie donnelly, but that would be a leap too far for an ultra conservative sideline.

It's exacxtly the stuff of legend. It's wasn't be accident this happened. He destroyed all in front of him in the club Championship and so it was time for upcoming opponents to take note.
In his hay day Gooch was held scoreless from play an number of times including against Tyrone.
I'm a big fan of Bradley and if he can demand the full attention of J Cooper it's an oppotunity for others to step up.

youhavenofans

Lee Breenan ahead of Mark Bradley? What are you smoking?

nrico2006

Richie Donnelly is another who really doesn't deserve a spot yet either.  He has done nothing in the county jersey at senior level yet.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Legoman5

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2017, 09:25:31 AM
Richie Donnelly is another who really doesn't deserve a spot yet either.  He has done nothing in the county jersey at senior level yet.

He had a right game against Derry in the national League last year jump to mind named MOTM and again in the championship when he hit in the long ball for Rony O'Neils goal,, there the only 2 games I went to last year, If your guna say boys dont deserve a spot based on the fact they've done nothin then your guna have very few players to pick from up front.
Name the current forwards who you consider "has done something at senior level to deserve there spot then"?

nrico2006

Quote from: Legoman5 on February 15, 2017, 09:40:05 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2017, 09:25:31 AM

He had a right game against Derry in the national League last year jump to mind named MOTM and again in the championship when he hit in the long ball for Rony O'Neils goal,, there the only 2 games I went to last year, If your guna say boys dont deserve a spot based on the fact they've done nothin then your guna have very few players to pick from up front.
Name the current forwards who you consider "has done something at senior level to deserve there spot then"?

I think your answer confirms what I was saying.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

It's hard to judge Richie Donnelly at county level just yet as he's had a lot of injuries but when he has played I thought he did well. A good fielder, strong runner and well able to shoot. I'd be comparing him to McShane and Meyler who have both got plenty of games for the team.

I think the main issues we have are in the FF line and it's probably because it has become such a tough position to play these days with so many teams having lots of defenders back in there. Most times McShane got the ball last Sat (and the week before) he was surrounded within seconds. That's why I think it's tough on players even like Sean to play in that claustrophobic environment as you need to be fast to get the ball away before you're swarmed on. I think this is why Sean doesn't stay in there that much that he much prefers getting the ball out around MF or the 40 and shooting from further out. Mark Bradley is the ideal corner forward I think as he's fast, has good off the ball movement and can get his shot away quickly. McCurry is similar but tends to miss a lot of chances.
I am not looking for Brennan to start games just yet but I'd like to see him come on as a sub a bit more. It's not like he's only 18 or 19.

Il Bomber Destro

Mark Bradley has a lot yet to convince but Lee Brennan doesn't? That's some contradiction in rapid succession.

Mattie Donnelly is too important to Tyrone at the minute to chance having him in as a peripheral figure on the edge of the square.

Our four most important players at the minute are Donnelly, Sludden, Harte and Colm Cavanagh. The plan should be to allow the former three the freedom to dictate our play. Cavanagh is vital for the work rate, his protection of the back line and his reading of the game.

McCurry, O'Neill, Bradley and Brennan are the four inside men we've got at the minute. There's not one of them who has set themselves apart from each other yet so the continued championing of the guy on the bench as the saviour has got to stop.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 15, 2017, 10:25:16 AM

Mark Bradley has a lot yet to convince but Lee Brennan doesn't? That's some contradiction in rapid succession.

Mattie Donnelly is too important to Tyrone at the minute to chance having him in as a peripheral figure on the edge of the square.

Our four most important players at the minute are Donnelly, Sludden, Harte and Colm Cavanagh. The plan should be to allow the former three the freedom to dictate our play. Cavanagh is vital for the work rate, his protection of the back line and his reading of the game.

McCurry, O'Neill, Bradley and Brennan are the four inside men we've got at the minute. There's not one of them who has set themselves apart from each other yet so the continued championing of the guy on the bench as the saviour has got to stop.

Well said. If Brennan was showing up every night at training and standing head and shoulders above the other guys mentioned, and roasting the likes of McCarron and Hampsey then it's madness to think he wouldn't be getting more game time than he currently is. He's clearly a class act but I think it's foolish to think that management would be holding him back if he was consistently outperforming McCurry, O'Neill and Bradley in training.

WT4E

Tyrone Minor Panel 2017

February 14th, 2017
Ronan Cassidy  Ardboe
Conall Devlin Ardboe
Oran McKee Carrickmore
Paddy McElduff Carrickmore
Lorcan Quinn Donaghmore
Cahir Goodwin Dromore
Oran Rafferty Dromore
Oran Sludden Dromore
Oran Mallon  Dungannon
Brian McNulty  Dungannon
James Morgan  Dungannon
Ethan Jordan Eglish
Peter Og McCartan Errigal Ciaran
Darragh Canavan Errigal Ciaran
Conor Quinn Galbally
Cormac Donnelly Galbally
Matthew McGuigan  Kildress
Adam Connolly  Kildress
Daniel Millar Killeeshil
PT Cunningham Killyclogher
Arnoldac Macidulskas Loughmacrory
Conall Grimes  Loughmacrory
Aodhan Donaghy Loughmacrory
Cathaoir Gallagher  Loughmacrory
Antoin Fox Loughmacrory
Rian McLernon Moortown
Ciaran Breen  Omagh
Damien McGuigan  Omagh
Jude Campbell  Pomeroy
Ruari Gormley  Strabane
Peader Mullin  Tattyreagh
Darragh McQuade Trillick
James Garrity Trillick

Whats our chances in minors this year - good to have two of our lads on it - it has been a few years now.

Loughmacrory well represented - must have good minors and No one from Cookstown/Coalisland/Clonoe - they use to always have players involved.

Ty4Sam

There's a bit of hope and expectation with this years minors, they won the Ulster U17 equivalent last year. From what I hear the best two Ulster minor teams are Tyrone/Derry and they meet first game.

TabClear

Only 2 players from junior clubs from what I can see? Seems a bit light.  Don't know enough about the talent in div 3 to comment on individual players but you wonder was enough effort put into looking at the lower leagues. Clubs potentially less willing to loose young players in lower leagues than senior clubs who have the strength in depth to cope.

Rois

Quote from: WT4E on February 15, 2017, 11:47:29 AM
Tyrone Minor Panel 2017

Darragh Canavan Errigal Ciaran

This lad must feel the pressure the odd time...