Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superstar_

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 13, 2017, 12:13:25 PM
Quote from: GaelTheGael on February 13, 2017, 12:01:01 PM
The way things are going it's looking like McClure is nailed down for a midfield slot this year. Has been hugely impressive so far this year. Hope this is the case and allows Mattie to move to a more advanced position. Would be dissapointed if Mattie is at 6, takes too much away from his attacking game.
Would love too see Mattie Sludden Harte lined out at 10,11,12. Be a fearsome proposition for anyone.

Agreed. Having a couple more options around the middle could let Mattie spend some time in Full Forward. The way we play he'll never spend a full game in there (and it would be a waste if he did) but if he could do a couple of ten minute rotations in there during a game i think it would give us a great outlet and allow us to mix it up a bit more.

I can't see  Mattie playing at 6 when we get everybody back fit. We have plenty of options for the half back like with the likes of Justy, McNabb, Brennan, the two McGearys, Munroe and even McCrory and Frank Burns probably competing for 2 spots alongside Tiernan McCann (assuming Petey Harte lines out at 10).
Also agree with this, think Midfield is now set as is the full back line. Would love to see that Half Forward line in place come the championship, they could make up for a lot of short comings of the inside line. The half back line could be anything alongside McCann but i think it will be Justy (Harte likes experience against the bigger teams) and Rory Brennan (my personal pick of the rest). Gives a lot of options of the bench for freshening things up during the game with the players mentioned all waiting in the wings. The full forward line situation is a mess in my opinion, McShane doesn't look comfortable in their at all, Sean Cavanagh prefers to be out the field and O'Neill Bradley and McCurry are a much of a muchness and all present the same inconsistent problems regarding ball winning but I think Bradley and McCurry are probably the way Harte will go.

Fuzzman

In today's Irish News it names a Tyrone team to play Cork back in 1997.
They name P.O'Neill at full back. Who was that?

Club Rossa

RedHandTom

What's the story on Richie Donnelly?

Beantown

Quote from: Club Rossa on February 13, 2017, 02:13:54 PM
Paul O'Neill from Donaghmore.

Was he not the Moy?, decent player, stylish but maybe not tough enough for FB at that time

BennyHarp

Quote from: Beantown on February 14, 2017, 08:57:27 AM

Was he not the Moy?, decent player, stylish but maybe not tough enough for FB at that time

Definitely a Donaghmore man. I think you may be thinking of Peter O'Neill from the Moy who knocked around the panel for a few years previous.
That was never a square ball!!

laceer

Peter O'Neill would have been mid 80's.  Terence O'Neill from the Moy would have played early 90's I think.

LeoMc

Aye Terence (Moy) and Paul (Donaghmore) were both in and around the team at that time.

BennyHarp

Quote from: laceer on February 14, 2017, 09:37:46 AM
Peter O'Neill would have been mid 80's.  Terence O'Neill from the Moy would have played early 90's I think.

Yes, that's right, I seem to remember Peter on the 1986 panel.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

I can't picture Paul O'Neill at all. Did he only play during the league?

Interesting that half forward line that was mentioned above of Sludden, Mattie and Harte. It certainly has a lot of scoring potential which our FF line has been lacking lately. With the way teams set up nowadays and it becoming so hard for inside forwards to get time and space to shoot then maybe we should have most of our score takers out on the 40. Sludden seems to have really pushed on and is the new Peter Harte. He's very good and breaking the tackle and running direct and kicking points.

Half back line you have a lot of players fighting for a place there as well. McNabb, Justy, Brennan, McCann and probably Munroe
McClure seems to have settled in well and is a big lad to partner Colm with McNulty another option who likes to attack.

The full forward line will be the problem area again but you would imagine Sean and Bradley will be first choice if fit so it depends on who gets the other corner. I would play McShane there just for his ball winning qualities alone and also he can drop back and act as a third midfielder. Sean needs to start hitting our left sided frees again and I really wish he would stay in around the square as he showed a few years back he's still very strong under the high ball into him and with Bradley zipping around him they could be a great partnership. Of course then you've got McCurry, Lee Brennan, Meyler, Richie Donnelly and Ronan O'Neill as options from the bench. My own best 15 would be
Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McCarron
Brennan
Justy or McNabb
McCann
Colm
McClure
Harte
Mattie
Sludden
McShane
Sean
Bradley

I wonder how would Richie Donnelly do in at FF? Does he always play MF for Trillick?

The Trap

Paul O'Neill played full back on Queens team that won Sigerson. You may not remember him Fuzzman but those who played against him do!

Mikhailov

Quote from: Beantown on February 14, 2017, 08:57:27 AM

You obviously thinking of someone else. The Paul O Neill from Donaghmore that I played against would have took your life but in a very honest hard fashion, no dirty or treacherous stuff with him. He could definitely handle himself in the physical stakes but a very nice fella off the pitch.

Club boi

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 14, 2017, 11:11:39 AM

Interesting that half forward line that was mentioned above of Sludden, Mattie and Harte. It certainly has a lot of scoring potential which our FF line has been lacking lately. With the way teams set up nowadays and it becoming so hard for inside forwards to get time and space to shoot then maybe we should have most of our score takers out on the 40. Sludden seems to have really pushed on and is the new Peter Harte. He's very good and breaking the tackle and running direct and kicking points.

Half back line you have a lot of players fighting for a place there as well. McNabb, Justy, Brennan, McCann and probably Munroe
McClure seems to have settled in well and is a big lad to partner Colm with McNulty another option who likes to attack.

The full forward line will be the problem area again but you would imagine Sean and Bradley will be first choice if fit so it depends on who gets the other corner. I would play McShane there just for his ball winning qualities alone and also he can drop back and act as a third midfielder. Sean needs to start hitting our left sided frees again and I really wish he would stay in around the square as he showed a few years back he's still very strong under the high ball into him and with Bradley zipping around him they could be a great partnership. Of course then you've got McCurry, Lee Brennan, Meyler, Richie Donnelly and Ronan O'Neill as options from the bench. My own best 15 would be
Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McCarron
Brennan
Justy or McNabb
McCann
Colm
McClure
Harte
Mattie
Sludden
McShane
Sean
Bradley

I wonder how would Richie Donnelly do in at FF? Does he always play MF for Trillick?

I have yet to see Mc Shane win many balls. Looked terribly out of position, slow and laboured in FF last Saturday night, or perhaps the tv done him no favours

If your going to pick your best team, pick 15. Not 16 as above

RedHandTom

Quote from: Club boi on February 14, 2017, 05:11:21 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 14, 2017, 11:11:39 AM

Morgan
Hampsey
McNamee
McCarron
Brennan
Justy or McNabb
McCann
Colm
McClure
Harte
Mattie
Sludden
McShane
Sean
Bradley

I have yet to see Mc Shane win many balls. Looked terribly out of position, slow and laboured in FF last Saturday night, or perhaps the tv done him no favours

If your going to pick your best team, pick 15. Not 16 as above

Count again, its only 15!

Good team by the way. IMO McShane is a future midfielder. He's there for St Marys in Sigerson and doing well. I'd see Richie Donnelly as being an excellent full forward. He played there for Jordanstown about 5 or 6 years ago and was very good.

ose 14

mark bradley has a lot to do yet to convince he played two big games last week for uuj and tyrone and scored nowt. hardly the stuff of legend. however he may improve. big sean looks leggy but thats hardly surprising. not convinced that either of those 2 have what it takes in a ff line. mcshane might be an option in 2020. lee brennan for me all day with mattie donnelly, but that would be a leap too far for an ultra conservative sideline.