Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 17, 2018, 08:30:21 PM
SF were elected on a policy of abstention, anyone who voted for them knew what they were getting.

Yeah that bit is true but the other argument they have made of no importance happening at Westminster is clearly not the case
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Therealdonald

Quote from: Minder on July 17, 2018, 08:37:36 PM
SF were elected on a policy of abstention, anyone who voted for them knew what they were getting.

Yeah that bit is true but the other argument they have made of no importance happening at Westminster is clearly not the case

The power still lies in Brussels on this issue. They take their seats there. As said above the electorate know that when they vote for SF, they won't be taking their seats so they take the good with the bad.

haranguerer

In the event if there being likely to be a close vote I doubt very much sf's support would be welcomed by either side

Dougal Maguire

I can't understand what the fuss is about. Bring it on I say. I mean if gentlemen like Sir Christopher Chope, Peter Bone and Jacob Rees-Mogg support leave then it must be good news for us.  These guys understand what life is like for those who don't have privilege and will, I'm convinced, given their track record, fight to maintain human rights and workers rights post Brexit. Therefore it's a win win for us ordinary five eighths as far as I can see.
Careful now

armaghniac

Poll tonight
Westminster voting intention: LAB: 41% (+2) CON: 36% (-1) LDEM: 9% (-1) UKIP: 7% (+1)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

red hander

Quote from: trailer on July 09, 2018, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: red hander on July 09, 2018, 05:06:53 PM
DUP seeing their wee power strip disappearing into the ether ... slap it up the b**tards (like Jnr slaps it up ELP)

I'm pretty sure this is libellous.  :-X

I believe young Jnr has some serious shit coming down the line from the mother of all parliaments. 10 day suspension looming, apparently. Surely his position is untenable if true. The DUP really are a corrupt shower of f**kers, but as long as they play the sectarian card, their sc**bag supporters continue to vote for this parcel of utter wankers

bogball88

Quote from: red hander on July 18, 2018, 01:47:42 AM
DUP seeing their wee power strip disappearing into the ether ... slap it up the b**tards (like Jnr slaps it up ELP)

I believe young Jnr has some serious shit coming down the line from the mother of all parliaments. 10 day suspension looming, apparently. Surely his position is untenable if true. The DUP really are a corrupt shower of f**kers, but as long as they play the sectarian card, their sc**bag supporters continue to vote for this parcel of utter w**kers
I would imagine that is the least of his worries these days

trailer

Well that's fine. Same with the DUP who were elected on no Irish Language act, and No to SSM. People should just shut up about those as well. Oh wait...

AQMP

Quote from: red hander on July 18, 2018, 01:47:42 AM

I believe young Jnr has some serious shit coming down the line from the mother of all parliaments. 10 day suspension looming, apparently. Surely his position is untenable if true. The DUP really are a corrupt shower of f**kers, but as long as they play the sectarian card, their sc**bag supporters continue to vote for this parcel of utter w**kers

30 day suspension for "serious misconduct"

Shamrock Shore

I think voters can now petition for a by-election, which would be a waste of time, I spose.

Not been a good few weeks for the Jnr.

screenexile

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 18, 2018, 11:34:11 AM
I think voters can now petition for a by-election, which would be a waste of time, I spose.

Means the government are down a vote for the next month though which is a plus!!

On the abstention thing well Sinn Fein have made that many concessions in the last 20 years surely this should be the next. With the current Government and Brexit they have a chance to make a real difference for North and South with regard to Brexit and they're not.

Blah blah they were voted in on abstention but that doesn't really cut the mustard anymore. Things are getting heated and they need to be seen to be doing something. I actually think it would win them more votes to say right we're going into Westminster to make a difference rather than the shite going on with the assembly.

I know one thing I'll not be voting for them in a GE again!

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2018, 12:00:52 PM

Means the government are down a vote for the next month though which is a plus!!

On the abstention thing well Sinn Fein have made that many concessions in the last 20 years surely this should be the next. With the current Government and Brexit they have a chance to make a real difference for North and South with regard to Brexit and they're not.

Blah blah they were voted in on abstention but that doesn't really cut the mustard anymore. Things are getting heated and they need to be seen to be doing something. I actually think it would win them more votes to say right we're going into Westminster to make a difference rather than the shite going on with the assembly.

Problem being I guess in the short term they might have an impact and a say, on a very important issue for this part of the world. But what would rule out a GE being called soon after they went in and it wiped out any influence that they would have hoped to have. Then they are still on the outside of the decision making process that they would have sold their souls to be involved in.

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on July 18, 2018, 12:09:30 PM

Problem being I guess in the short term they might have an impact and a say, on a very important issue for this part of the world. But what would rule out a GE being called soon after they went in and it wiped out any influence that they would have hoped to have. Then they are still on the outside of the decision making process that they would have sold their souls to be involved in.

"Sold their souls" is a bit dramatic!!

As I've said they've made a number of concessions over the years and this is another . . .

Who would have believed McGuinness shaking the Queen's hand or supporting the PSNI, sharing power with the DUP.

At every turn these things were seen as selling their souls but they haven't dropped support. Taking their seat at Westminster to try and preserve jobs for the North and trade for the Southcan easily be spun and should be!!

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2018, 12:22:41 PM

As I've said they've made a number of concessions over the years and this is another . . .

Who would have believed McGuinness shaking the Queen's hand or supporting the PSNI, sharing power with the DUP.

At every turn these things were seen as selling their souls but they haven't dropped support. Taking their seat at Westminster to try and preserve jobs for the North and trade for the Southcan easily be spun and should be!!

I agree. These are not normal times. Brexit will affect the lives of people right across these islands for the next 100 years and possibly more. They should be counted. And if they did take their seats, just like many fine Irish men and women before them, I believe history would be kind.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on July 18, 2018, 12:22:41 PM

But it's not a concession to start taking their seats!

If it was a concession it would have been part of the GFA, when the abstention should have ended. SF should ended it then. But no other politician in north, south or in Britain wants them to go, so not a hope in hell they'd ask for that "concession" by SF!

They only people losing out by them not taking their seats are the people they are supposed to represent.