A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Ironically by opposing a UI at every turn round and indeed opposing everything they now appear to have pushed the issue front and centre.
I was talking to a friend today. We'd both be of a similar political persuasion. We both would aspire to a UI but never really seen it as achievable certainly not in the near future. That's changed. We both see a unification vote being winnable in the next 5-10 years.

Therealdonald

Quote from: trailer on December 11, 2018, 08:31:54 PM
Ironically by opposing a UI at every turn round and indeed opposing everything they now appear to have pushed the issue front and centre.
I was talking to a friend today. We'd both be of a similar political persuasion. We both would aspire to a UI but never really seen it as achievable certainly not in the near future. That's changed. We both see a unification vote being winnable in the next 5-10 years.

All thanks in no small part to SF and the IRA. You can send your thanks to Slab and the boys anytime you want Trailer.

trailer

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 11, 2018, 08:50:03 PM

All thanks in no small part to SF and the IRA. You can send your thanks to Slab and the boys anytime you want Trailer.

Slab the big Republican lol. You have to hand it to him, he played SF & IRA supporters like a fiddle.

Therealdonald

Quote from: trailer on December 11, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on December 11, 2018, 08:50:03 PM

Slab the big Republican lol. You have to hand it to him, he played SF & IRA supporters like a fiddle.

''He played the establishment like a fiddle''

naka

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 07:40:11 PM
Hamilton has been a naughty boy behind the scenes and is in the doghouse. It may be that.
i heard he was a remainer and didn't think Brexit was a good idea
That's why he is sidelined on this

armaghniac

Quote from: naka on December 11, 2018, 11:20:49 PM
Hamilton has been a naughty boy behind the scenes and is in the doghouse. It may be that.

He should stay well out of the way, the Brexit thing isn't exactly working out for the rest of them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Heard someone on the radio earlier saying that anyone talking about a border poll should learn the lessons of the Brexit poll - make a decent plan before asking people to vote!

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 11, 2018, 11:27:57 PM
Heard someone on the radio earlier saying that anyone talking about a border poll should learn the lessons of the Brexit poll - make a decent plan before asking people to vote!

This is key and why it isn't desirable to get parachuted into a border poll by British chaos.
If things settle the get the planning going. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Harold Disgracey

He has definitely been a naughty boy.

naka

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 11, 2018, 11:50:34 PM

Spill the beans Harold 🤔

haranguerer

Being a naughty boy doesn't preclude you from being front and centre for the DUP - being a remainer does.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on December 11, 2018, 11:50:34 PM

Do tell as I thought Simon was about  the only normal one with no scandal

Applesisapples

Correct, I have not seen any plan from either SF or SDLP that would get me to vote for a UI, and I consider myself a republican, small r. I'd abstain.

Harold Disgracey

Alleged extracurricular activity with an assistant to another assembly member, not a unionist MLA by the way. Heard this from several different sources.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 12, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
Correct, I have not seen any plan from either SF or SDLP that would get me to vote for a UI, and I consider myself a republican, small r. I'd abstain.

In the past a UI was going to upset the status quo and take a big plunge into the dark. Brexit kind of reverses things. A UI will be a lot closer to the status quo and brexit is now the plunge into the dark. A UI poll needs a lot of prep and planning but at the same time it offers an escape route from the brexit chaos