Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

QuoteAye it would, bit of a difference seeing the boss day in and day out over every now and again don't ya think?

He cannot relate well to the players, he is an egomaniac and he is full of shite!

It's hard to argue since, in that regard, you have lifetime of experience to call upon.

stew

Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 04, 2015, 06:44:35 PM
QuoteAye it would, bit of a difference seeing the boss day in and day out over every now and again don't ya think?

He cannot relate well to the players, he is an egomaniac and he is full of shite!

It's hard to argue since, in that regard, you have lifetime of experience to call upon.

Aye and you dont you w**kstain!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gawa316

So Rooney equals Sir Bobby's record, am I alone in this just not feeling right?? Nothing to do with utd and England but Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney are not on the same level right??

Boycey

Quote from: gawa316 on September 05, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
So Rooney equals Sir Bobby's record, am I alone in this just not feeling right?? Nothing to do with utd and England but Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney are not on the same level right??

Fair to say he'll probably not be remembered with the same fondness but records are there to be broken does it really matter who breaks em???  Robbie Keane is in the top 5 European goalscorers ever is at that level??

Walter Cronc

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 06:05:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 05:47:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 05:37:14 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 04:06:43 PM
Listening to Football Weekly yesterday, Philippe Auclair mentioned that there's a suggestion in France that some of the add ons for the Martial deal are 10m after 25 United appearances, 10m after 10 France caps and another 10m of he finishes in the top 20 of the Ballon d'Or voting.

The whole thing could get even more expensive pretty quickly.
I don't know where he got that from. It's been pretty widely reported that it's €5m each time he is league top scorer up to 3 times, €5m if he wins Golden Boy, €10m if he wins Balon D'or. Heard this on BBC 5 live radio too.

Sure he could have the 25 appearances and 10 France caps in a year or so.

That's my point.
Yeah my point was more that what Philippe Auclair said is probably a load of nonsense.

Based on what? Auclair is a highly respected French journalist. Why would be what he says nonsense but what you heard on Five Live reputable?
I've read it elsewhere along with hearing it on radio and the fact that the Add-ons Auclair mentions make poor business sense. They are the type of add-ons you would see signing a youngster from a lower league club for 100k or so, not spending tens of millions on.
What he has suggested could see United could fork out another 20m within the next year or so. I don't think that's realistic given the fee that has already been paid. The add-ons I heard would only see this type of money being forked out if he became one of the best players in the premiership at least. I think they are more realistic given the values attached to the Add-ons.
Note: I did say probably, this is only my opinion.

If what he said is in fact correct, then serious questions would have to be asked of Ed Woodward and co.

Lol catch yourself on!!! Auclair knows a hell of a lot more about the game and French football in particular than you my friend. Comical.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 06, 2015, 09:34:59 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 06:05:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 05:47:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 05:37:14 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 04, 2015, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 04, 2015, 04:06:43 PM
Listening to Football Weekly yesterday, Philippe Auclair mentioned that there's a suggestion in France that some of the add ons for the Martial deal are 10m after 25 United appearances, 10m after 10 France caps and another 10m of he finishes in the top 20 of the Ballon d'Or voting.

The whole thing could get even more expensive pretty quickly.
I don't know where he got that from. It's been pretty widely reported that it's €5m each time he is league top scorer up to 3 times, €5m if he wins Golden Boy, €10m if he wins Balon D'or. Heard this on BBC 5 live radio too.

Sure he could have the 25 appearances and 10 France caps in a year or so.

That's my point.
Yeah my point was more that what Philippe Auclair said is probably a load of nonsense.

Based on what? Auclair is a highly respected French journalist. Why would be what he says nonsense but what you heard on Five Live reputable?
I've read it elsewhere along with hearing it on radio and the fact that the Add-ons Auclair mentions make poor business sense. They are the type of add-ons you would see signing a youngster from a lower league club for 100k or so, not spending tens of millions on.
What he has suggested could see United could fork out another 20m within the next year or so. I don't think that's realistic given the fee that has already been paid. The add-ons I heard would only see this type of money being forked out if he became one of the best players in the premiership at least. I think they are more realistic given the values attached to the Add-ons.
Note: I did say probably, this is only my opinion.

If what he said is in fact correct, then serious questions would have to be asked of Ed Woodward and co.

Lol catch yourself on!!! Auclair knows a hell of a lot more about the game and French football in particular than you my friend. Comical.
I never said he didn't. If you don't agree with my point then that's fair enough.

David McKeown

Quote from: Boycey on September 06, 2015, 08:56:41 AM

Fair to say he'll probably not be remembered with the same fondness but records are there to be broken does it really matter who breaks em???  Robbie Keane is in the top 5 European goalscorers ever is at that level??

He did it in the same number of games too.

Also I thought Keane was the highest ever goal scorer in qualifying matches and the top scoring player in international football still to be playing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

StGallsGAA

QuoteSo Rooney equals Sir Bobby's record, am I alone in this just not feeling right?? Nothing to do with utd and England but Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney are not on the same level right??

Too right.  Rooney would run rings round that geriatric!!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 06, 2015, 05:49:04 PM
QuoteSo Rooney equals Sir Bobby's record, am I alone in this just not feeling right?? Nothing to do with utd and England but Bobby Charlton and Wayne Rooney are not on the same level right??

Too right.  Rooney would run rings round that geriatric!!

Same hair do's just..........

magpie seanie

You're not alone. I want United to do well this season (and always) but would prefer Rooney not to break Bobby Charlton's United record. Sell him in January!!!!

Not bothered about the England record.

stew

Just because he will break Charlton's record does not mean he is the better player.

If Charlton got to use the equipment that Rooney does and play against the players he does on the pitches he does he might have scored seventy or eighty goals.

Bobby Charlton to me is probably a top 20 player of all time, Rooney would not make the top hundred!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GJL

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2015, 02:55:27 PM
Just because he will break Charlton's record does not mean he is the better player.

If Charlton got to use the equipment that Rooney does and play against the players he does on the pitches he does he might have scored seventy or eighty goals.

Bobby Charlton to me is probably a top 20 player of all time, Rooney would not make the top hundred!

Out of interest how many times did you watch him play? (Charlton)

thewobbler

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2015, 02:55:27 PM

Or he might have struggled against modern defenders who aren't plucked from one country, but from everywhere in the world, and therefore must be better (imagine if only players from the 5 "home" nations were allowed to play defence in the EPL now).

Anyone aged under 60 has no real business comparing Rooney to Charlton. For anyone younger, they'll have been able to see every minute of Rooney's career, including the mediocre and poor spells that every player endures. For Charlton they'd be lucky to get their hands on videos of 10 full matches he played; therefore for most of us, Charlton's career is a highlights reel, not a reality.

deiseach

I was directed today to an interesting piece about Rooney's place in the pecking order versus Charlton and Greaves. TL;DR: back in Charlton's day there were no substitutions and goals were generally easier to come by at international level.

magpie seanie

Lies, damned lies and statistics. What's an "Elo rating"???

Lineker is the best goalscorer I have seen for England and no-one I've seen comes close. Fowler at one stage could have been (he was more naturally talented) but never seemed to get a run in the national team and get the goals he was capable of.