Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

That's pretty much my perspective as well.
I used to go mad when I found out games were exclusively on SKY and I wouldn't be able to watch them.
Now I don't care.
Not missing anything.
You can tell people that they are misty-eyed traditionalists, who should be appreciating the intricacies of modern kick-out strategies and defensive systems, but at the end of the day people are voting with their eyeballs and feet.
If dyed-in-the-wool GAA people are not that bothered about attending or watching the games, what hope is there that the casual viewer will have any interest?
We live in the age of 'products' and at the moment gaelic football is a very poor product.
The great thing is, we can fix it.
Is there a will to grasp the nettle?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: APM on August 14, 2018, 12:48:04 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/football-crowds-at-croke-park-are-low-and-gaa-is-unsure-why-1.3595250?mode=amp

No mystery here:

• they need to read this thread
  • they need to understand:

• our game is becoming like soccer and this isn't what we signed up to
    • the style of football is killing the atmosphere at games and with no atmosphere, we might as well watch on TV
    • the kind of football that people want to watch, doesn't win All-Irelands right now
    • while the pundits may have a point, they are doing their best to undermine the product that they should be selling
    • that managers shouldn't have a say in rule changes - they should be told to f**k off because of their vested interest in the status quo
    • tickets are too expensive
An all-Ireland semi between Tyrone and Monaghan should be packed to the rafters.  People are voting with their feet and the GAA don't understand it.  It's obvious. 

Finally, this was meant to be a joke.  But its on the trajectory!!

Quote from: APM on July 27, 2018, 08:27:58 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 26, 2018, 08:12:20 PMBecause no matter what anyone tries to tell you, for those who play the game, it's all about winning and not entertainment.

Quote from: trailer on July 26, 2018, 07:06:00 PM
I really worry for some people. They want change, not sure what they exactly want, but change, even if we have to introduce some ridiculous rules. Similar to those who voted Brexit. Some very confused people around.

Who says I haven't played the game?
There's some patronising shite on here!  Come back to me lads when Tyrone win an All-Ireland in 2045 in front of 20,000 people in Portlaoise and tell me then that this win was as good as 2005, even though it no longer captures the imagination and interest of the county.

Excellent summary right there.

I'm not sure whether pundits have any obligation to sell the product though? I'd prefer that they say it as they see it whether good, bad or indifferent.

The county managers have far too much to say and have plenty of skin in the game. They are often protecting their own self interest but are ssimply in a bubble where they cannot see how the spectacle is suffering. The crowd engagement at live matches has been dramatically reduced in the last 6/7 years. It is common now to have a conversation not related to the match during the actual match. There is a reduced sense of crowd involvement and the live experience of being at a match has suffered. Many people will still go regardless of the spectacle due to the tribal nature of the GAA but plenty of die hard GAA followers that I know have been completely turned off by the spectacle in recent years. 

Zulu

Have to admit it's the same with me. I was at the game on Sunday and I thought it was decent and the atmosphere was great for the last 10 minutes but there's no real flow to games now and few games engage you if you're a neutral. I still coach Gaelic football and will continue to watch as I don't really have much interest in watching sports other than football or hurling but if football continues to go down the route it's going then I'll probably only watch bigger when it's handy for me to do. I used to make sure I was free to watch the games, now I'm too bothered if I miss most games.

It's a shame, as the sport is still the best in the world for me and when you get a great game there's nothing to match it but even modern 'great' games often have lull periods where teams pass the ball around for no real reason and you're hoping nobody ends up 3 or 4 ahead with 10 minutes to go as they'll probably just try to see it out with pass the parcel and cynical fouling of their opponents.

Jinxy

Getting back to the potential rule changes, I remember when the first thing I thought of before every game was who was going to win the midfield battle.
Each time John McDermott plucked the ball out of the sky, our spirits would soar.
It felt like a score almost.
Likewise in other counties with Whelan, Tohill, O'Sé, Walsh etc.
Midfielders had this totemic quality and as individuals they could bring massive influence to bear on the game.
It was your best guy and their best guy going toe to toe.
Now they are pretty much just link men.
There are plenty of excellent fielders playing the game now, but they rarely get the opportunity to exercise the skill.
I think we can have a happy medium between the modern midfield running role and the more traditional 'fielder' role.
And all we have to do is make the keepers go long on every kick-out.
Also, it's much harder to play 'keep-ball' and run down the clock when you have contested possession for every restart.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Jinxy on August 14, 2018, 01:32:43 PM
Getting back to the potential rule changes, I remember when the first thing I thought of before every game was who was going to win the midfield battle.
Each time John McDermott plucked the ball out of the sky, our spirits would soar.
Midfielders had this totemic quality and as individuals they could bring massive influence to bear on the game.
There are plenty of excellent fielders playing the game now, but they rarely get the opportunity to exercise the skill.
I think we can have a happy medium between the modern midfield running role and the more traditional 'fielder' role.
Also, it's much harder to play 'keep-ball' and run down the clock when you have contested possession for every restart.

Why don't you watch Aussie Rules mate?  Piles of high fielding in it and loads of wayward hospital ball kick passing to team mates.

Knock yourself out.....literally.

RedHand88

Did you not see Colm Cavanagh on Sunday?

Zulu

You know Jinxy that isn't a bad call at all. A lot of sports (soccer, American football, rugby, Aussie rules) have a set restart after a score so there's no reason we can't restart with a kick beyond the 45. While I enjoy watching keepers hit their man even if it's short it does lead to a running game. As you say, high fetching contests in the middle are one of the great things about our game.

Zulu

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2018, 01:32:36 PM
the sport is still the best in the world for me
Ahhhh!!! You can't say that. I'm offended. What is it with these Gaelic Football snobs having to come out with ridiculous statements like this?

;D ;D

Jinxy

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 14, 2018, 01:37:22 PM

Did you not see Colm Cavanagh on Sunday?

Yes, I did see him.

APM

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2018, 01:32:36 PM
the sport is still the best in the world for me
Ahhhh!!! You can't say that. I'm offended. What is it with these Gaelic Football snobs having to come out with ridiculous statements like this?

Maybe for you it is, but I would draw a distinction between loyalty and enjoyment.  I would have a strong sense of loyalty to Gaelic Football and would defend it strongly from outside criticism. But while 20 years ago, I would have said that 80% of games were great entertainment, I would say that is now seriously diminished.  When you do get a good game, Dublin v Mayo finals - Kerry v Mayo semi replay, Monaghan v Kerry, there is no better game in the world for me. 

But there are too many bad games for all the reasons above, that give no entertainment - I have been to these games, which have been a waste of money and an even greater waste of time, which for me is a bigger issue.  Some people have a serious problem in being honest about this for some reason.  20 years ago, I watched loads of games as a neutral.  Now, I wouldn't be that pushed and as someone that is a loyal fan, interested in enough in the game to register on this board, that should be worrying for the GAA.  Because if I'm losing interest, what does that say for the fair weather fans who are voting with their feet. 

yellowcard

I don't think that too many people would disagree that the game has turned into too much of a possession based game with very limited contested possession outside of the attacking teams 45 metre line. Then you have the blight of the handpass, the backwards pass and the often pointless retention of possession. We need more contested duels in the game where there is an opportunity to turn possession over.

1) Restrict the handpass to 3/4 consecutive.
2) Ban the backwards pass inside your own half
3) All kick outs must be kicked past the 45 metre line (there was a token attempt to increase this 7 metres in the last year but nothing much has changed).

This will all lead to more duels for possession, more physical contests, more kick passing and more engagement for supporters.

There are other more technical/refereeing issues that need addressing such as a time clock and a review of the black card but fix the above and it would help the game dramatically.

From the Bunker

Hard to know if it is the standard or the lack of hope? Hope is what all counties should have at the beginning of every year. I used to get excited about Championship even when we had little hope. I used to be interested in how other counties were getting on even when my own was out or still in the Championship. I used to love the Trips to Croker. Feck I used to love going to the see the other halfs county.

The Super 8 only prolonged the agony this season. Trying to take more money from the genuine fan. It was put in place to take advantage of the biggest cash cow - Mayo. Sadly for the GAA Mayo failed to make the Super 8's and thus a huge windfall was lost.

I said this last year. The Super 8 would be a failure. The main reason is that we have a Super 1, a decent 5 and a fell across the line 2. Intensity is lost in a league format.

Quarter finals should be straight knockout!

It's been a long time since I've missed so many games that were televised, going to games involving Mayo that I never miss. I deleted my Season Ticket a/c this season before the Galway match. These days I have better things to be doing. Maybe I'm just getting older? Maybe this was just a fad?

I'm still involved in coaching. Love watching underage games involving my club.

APM

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 14, 2018, 02:10:05 PM
Hard to know if it is the standard or the lack of hope? Hope is what all counties should have at the beginning of every year. I used to get excited about Championship even when we had little hope. I used to be interested in how other counties were getting on even when my own was out or still in the Championship. I used to love the Trips to Croker. Feck I used to love going to the see the other halfs county.

The Super 8 only prolonged the agony this season. Trying to take more money from the genuine fan. It was put in place to take advantage of the biggest cash cow - Mayo. Sadly for the GAA Mayo failed to make the Super 8's and thus a huge windfall was lost.

I said this last year. The Super 8 would be a failure. The main reason is that we have a Super 1, a decent 5 and a fell across the line 2. Intensity is lost in a league format.

Quarter finals should be straight knockout!

It's been a long time since I've missed so many games that were televised, going to games involving Mayo that I never miss. I deleted my Season Ticket a/c this season before the Galway match. These days I have better things to be doing. Maybe I'm just getting older? Maybe this was just a fad?

I'm still involved in coaching. Love watching underage games involving my club.

Hope is important for the neutral too! Its why we support the underdog and why people rooted for Mayo.  But, Mayo's approach to the game, and to a slightly lesser extent, Monaghan is also attractive.  Maybe I'm biased in favour of the underdog, but they have tended to be more direct, confrontational and adventurous.  Some people might call them naive, but to me, I can really get behind these teams and I find their games much more watchable than Dublin, Tyrone or Galway. 

johnnycool

My first love is hurling and always has been but have been to a good few Down football games when I didn't have the kiddies to bring on tow and I'm not averse to sitting down to watch one, which I attempted to do on Sunday with the Tyrone/Monaghan game on TV but there was little entertainment or excitement on show barring the few periods when the scorelines were reasonably close.
Watching lads run past the man with the ball to take up defensive positions and then to watch a load of lateral handpasses outside the 45 does not make a game interesting.

Two things need to be encouraged;

• Kick Passing
  • Shooting from distance

As to how that is achieved I don't know, but I find it frustrating that the majority of intercounty footballers aren't confident enough to shoot from 40 yards out and are more inclined to take the ultra safe option of a sidewise pass.

Stats and percentages have a lot to answer for.

Ironically enough I think in hurling it's too easy to score now.

APM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888 

Maybe we don't need supporters if we follow the Sky model.   :'(