Gaelic Football RIP

Started by High Fielder, July 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2018, 06:51:01 PM
Tyrone and Galway now proven to be nowhere near the Dubs. Hopes lie with Monaghan who where beaten by Fermanagh this year.

People need to wake up from the dreamworld that Dublin are regressing and football will turn a corner soon. The game we love is dying, being turned into a corporate procession. A famous quote by one of the Dublin supporters on here was that Flynn, Connolly, Brogan and MDMA were the golden generation and when they aged Dublin would drop into the chasing pack. That's not happening, with the flair of previous Dublin teams being transmuted into the workmanlike efforts of Scully, Howard, Small, Kilkenny and Mannion.

Of their starting forwards today only Dean Rock was over 25.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2018, 06:51:01 PM
Tyrone and Galway now proven to be nowhere near the Dubs. Hopes lie with Monaghan who where beaten by Fermanagh this year.

People need to wake up from the dreamworld that Dublin are regressing and football will turn a corner soon. The game we love is dying, being turned into a corporate procession. A famous quote by one of the Dublin supporters on here was that Flynn, Connolly, Brogan and MDMA were the golden generation and when they aged Dublin would drop into the chasing pack. That's not happening, with the flair of previous Dublin teams being transmuted into the workmanlike efforts of Scully, Howard, Small, Kilkenny and Mannion.

This and the mundane celebration after winning Sam.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

So what are we (the GAA) going to do about it?
Let the predictability continue - 13 of the last 14 Leinsters
5 of the last 6 Leagues
5 of the last 7 AIs,  soon to be 6 out of 8.
Who's going to be brave enough to set the ball rolling by tabling a Motion to require Dublin to field 2 teams in Football ( either North and South or City and County)?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

That was like watching a Leinster Championship game today, which is the worst possible indictment I can think of.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2018, 08:43:22 PM
That was like watching a Leinster Championship game today, which is the worst possible indictment I can think of.

My feelings exactly. That coupled with the non-event against Tyrone last year and the AI championship is morphing into the Leinster championship as Dublin's shadow looms large over the game.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Itchy

Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2018, 08:52:52 PM

My feelings exactly. That coupled with the non-event against Tyrone last year and the AI championship is morphing into the Leinster championship as Dublin's shadow looms large over the game.

In fairness though it's notvthat the dubs are better this year than last. It's that the chasing pack this year are gone backwards with the demise of Mayo. Dublin weren't even near their best today.

trileacman

Quote from: Itchy on August 11, 2018, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 11, 2018, 08:52:52 PM

In fairness though it's notvthat the dubs are better this year than last. It's that the chasing pack this year are gone backwards with the demise of Mayo. Dublin weren't even near their best today.

I agree with you there but that's even worse. Dublin playing attractive, attacking football and walking matches isn't great for providing interest in the game but Dublin playing poorly and without characteristic flair and still winning pulling up is even worse for the game.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Rossfan on August 11, 2018, 08:40:50 PM
5 of the last 6 Leagues
Who's going to be brave enough to set the ball rolling by tabling a Motion to require Dublin to field 2 teams in Football ( either North and South or City and County)?

So then we can have Dublin v Dublin in the all Ireland?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

RedHand88

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 11, 2018, 10:00:04 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 11, 2018, 08:40:50 PM
5 of the last 6 Leagues

So then we can have Dublin v Dublin in the all Ireland?

People who advocate splitting Dublin need to realise this is a real possibility!

Rossfan

Well then the only thing for it is 4 Provincial teams and have a 5 Team All Ireland Championship.
Let the Counties play Provincials without Dublin.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on August 11, 2018, 11:36:15 PM
Well then the only thing for it is 4 Provincial teams and have a 5 Team All Ireland Championship.
Let the Counties play Provincials without Dublin.

I had a similar proposal here a few months back. Make Dublin a province with it's 4 established counties. Revive the Railway cup (5 team round robin, no final, games played in Winter when county championships are over so most players available) so the Dubs can still have their traditional team to get behind for 4 games.

I'd let them get their 6 or 7 in a row first but it should be done by the early to mid 2020's.

Rossfan

When they do the 8 in a row with 30k at their Semi final and about 10k at the other one........then the 2023 Congress might be interesting

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Rossfan on August 11, 2018, 11:53:35 PM
When they do the 8 in a row with 30k at their Semi final and about 10k at the other one........then the 2023 Congress might be interesting
Monaghan have beaten them already this year. They will have no fear.

Jayop

Or, and hear me out here... People could stop pissing their panties about Dublin and realise that this won't last forever. Sure they have inbuilt advantages and will probably win the majority of all Irelands but other strong teams will come that will break the monopoly. Splitting Dublin in two means you'll just have two Dublin teams to dominate the game.