USFC SF: Monaghan v Fermanagh - Sunday 3rd June at 2pm - Healy Park Omagh

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 29, 2018, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

I really don't want this to descend into a "our province is less shite that yours". We all know it was a shite game as regards quality but could you deny the tension and emotion inherent in the last 20 minutes? I find it hard to believe people really want to begrudge Fermanagh the victory today because they won it ugly. If they'd have given free licence to mc manus, Mc Carron and Mc Carthy they have got their arse on a plate the same way Clare and Sligo.

I see so many willing to stick the boot in Fermanagh's tactics but not one of the tens of posters or radio analysts I've seen/heard are singing Clare or Sligo's praises for playing with 6 defenders and kicking the ball long and into the oppositions welcoming arms.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

MayoBuck

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2018, 05:34:56 PM
Connacht SFC (Semi-Final): Galway 4-24 Sligo 1-12 (FT)Munster SFC (Semi-Final): Kerry 0-32 Clare 0-10 (FT)

Case rested, your honour, what a Munster & Connacht shambles!

There have been plenty of one sided Ulster games in recent years in case you've forgotten. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 03, 2018, 05:50:33 PM
Connacht SFC (Semi-Final): Galway 4-24 Sligo 1-12 (FT)Munster SFC (Semi-Final): Kerry 0-32 Clare 0-10 (FT)

There have been plenty of one sided Ulster games in recent years in case you've forgotten.

Let's keep it to the present eh? Some of the sanctimonious shite on this very thread about TODAY's Ulster fare needs a little contemporary perspective, truly. ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Throw ball

To some degree I understand why teams play blanket defence and is up to better footballers to find ways to beat it. It is so prevalent now that rule changes may well be needed to promote a more expensive game. In the case of Fermanagh it is not the blanket defence I hate as much as the niggle, verbals, diving, gamesmanship and activities of their runners, water boys etc. that grinds me. All teams have their narky players it just seems Fermanagh have found more than their fair share at minute. Still their supporters won't worry if they win Ulster.

FermGael

Quote from: Throw ball on June 03, 2018, 05:56:26 PM
To some degree I understand why teams play blanket defence and is up to better footballers to find ways to beat it. It is so prevalent now that rule changes may well be needed to promote a more expensive game. In the case of Fermanagh it is not the blanket defence I hate as much as the niggle, verbals, diving, gamesmanship and activities of their runners, water boys etc. that grinds me. All teams have their narky players it just seems Fermanagh have found more than their fair share at minute. Still their supporters won't worry if they win Ulster.

Seems to me that those same things happened when we were getting beat but for some reason that didn't seem to annoy as much then.
Amazing what happens when you win a game or two.
Fermanagh always had too many nice footballers.
Good to see lads doing what ever other winning team does. Whatever it takes

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Throw ball

Quote from: FermGael on June 03, 2018, 06:14:25 PM

Seems to me that those same things happened when we were getting beat but for some reason that didn't seem to annoy as much then.

Personally I always thought GAA was sport. 'Whatever it takes destroys the game in my opinion. I know I am very much in the minority. Get Respect Give Respect is non existent

seafoid

Quote from: FermGael on June 03, 2018, 06:14:25 PM

Won't get a better year to win Ulster
And Arlene needs a bit of good news.
https://youtu.be/gOsM-DYAEhY

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

As I suggested, Fermanagh were right to concede the kick outs as Beggan is able to pick a man with ease. It made more sense to conserve stamina and block their attack's in the scoring zone. They actually played much deeper in defence than I expected them to as I thought they'd press high.

Hopefully the win gives them confidence to play more confidently on attack. They've a top quality midfield platform but a poor running game. Monaghan's running game was actually much more proficient today than Fermanaghs despite the score.

Monaghan's weaknesses were obvious against us and told again today. D Hughes is a shadow of himself. Ward's sole purpose seems to be to run into Cul de sacs. K Hughes isn't scoring. Corey's legs are gone and despite an Indian summer today I think Drew Wylies are gone too. McManus is far too easy to subdue, the plautitudes for 5 minutes football the last day were laughable and peddled heavily by RTE spoof brigade. Much easier to tell the punter "McManus won it for them" than actually analyse the game.

I enjoyed seeing Monaghan's weakness exposed again except for Fermanaghs dominance at the breaking ball. They wiped Monaghan out on the breaking ball after Monaghan wiped us out in that regard. We've a huge workload to do to develop a breaking ball strategy and I think it's to late in the season to develop one and it will hamper Tyrone going forward
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2018, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on June 03, 2018, 05:50:33 PM

Let's keep it to the present eh? Some of the sanctimonious shite on this very thread about TODAY's Ulster fare needs a little contemporary perspective, truly. ;)
It would be interesting to compare the ratio of effective forwards to multidirectional handpassers /gym bunnies by county.

inthrough

Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2018, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: inthrough on June 03, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
There is no such thing as a "defensive" basketball game or American football game.One team has the ball & is trying to score, the other team hasn't got the ball & is trying to stop them just like evey other field sport in the world Gaelic football included.

Did you type this with a straight face? Ever seen a Baltimore Ravens-Pittsburgh Steelers game?
How the hell can a team who is in possesion & trying to score be"defensive"? Cautious maybe, methodical fair enough, but not defensive. That is a contradiction in terms.

Orior

Well done Fermanagh.

Monaghan, watch out for.....

Whoops - too late.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 07:03:28 PM
It would be interesting to compare the ratio of effective forwards to multidirectional handpassers /gym bunnies by county.

Less of the oul pseudo-scientific crap, who were the happier neutrals, or indeed partisans today -- those on tenterhooks to the last second of added time, or those where the games were a foregone conclusion after 10 minutes!

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2018, 07:45:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 07:03:28 PM

Less of the oul pseudo-scientific crap, who were the happier neutrals, or indeed partisans today -- those on tenterhooks to the last second of added time, or those where the games were a foregone conclusion after 10 minutes!
Not pseudo
Ulster fuball isn't designed for forwards.it''s hard to name many top class forwards in the province.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 07:52:35 PM
Ulster fuball isn't designed for forwards.it''s hard to name many top class forwards in the province.

Yeah, and Connacht's fecking blessed!

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2018, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: inthrough on June 03, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
There is no such thing as a "defensive" basketball game or American football game.One team has the ball & is trying to score, the other team hasn't got the ball & is trying to stop them just like evey other field sport in the world Gaelic football included.

Did you type this with a straight face? Ever seen a Baltimore Ravens-Pittsburgh Steelers game?

think  you shoukd stick to the American gridiron....... I've no doubt you know more about it than hurling or football