Roscommon v Galway - Connacht SFC Final 2017 [Wind Tunnel, 9/7/17]

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2017, 05:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Well done to all the Rossies, led by superior management team from the best club in the country.

Syf takes a lot of abuse on here, so well done to him/her in particular. Can you stop with the posting of photos though? No one gives a shite what photos you took

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 09, 2017, 08:17:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 07:53:53 PM
Quote from: Ryano on July 09, 2017, 07:51:10 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 04:51:47 PMI wouldn't even say we underestimated Roscommon.....

No, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a Rossie living in Galway and everybody from work colleagues down to the local (and national) media where signing Galways praises. It was just a matter of turning up and collecting their cup. The winning score line was going to be a cricket score. Confidence is all good and well but there was no humitily or even the usual GAA attempt at talking up the opposition, Ala Jim Gavin and Carlow/Westmeath for example. It was just smug condescending arrogance by and large from Galway and they got their answer today. Read the Tuam Hearld's piece for example....

That HAD to feed down to the players and it showed in their attitude today. That's not to take away from Roscommon's efforts, they were immence and fully deserving of their win. But Galway could have been, and are, a lot better than today's efforts.

Galway are the most over-rated team in the country.

What have they achieved to date?

Very very little when you examine the evidence. Galway have achieved absolutely nothing in the last decade to consider themselves a foregone conclusion against anything other then a Div 3/4 side.

Still living off the back of Padraig Joyce, Donnellan , Mannion and the great players they once had

That's a bit harsh! Galway have been looking to get back to some level of competitiveness for the last 10 years. Once you fall out of the loop it's hard to get back in again. You say what have they achieved. Well they have beaten a still decent Mayo team in Championship the last two years. They have got into Division One and they have won a Connacht title. They are not the real deal. But they have made progress and have put themselves to be in the position to make progress. I know this may be hard for a person from Dublin to appreciate with all the advantages that go with the Dublin County and Club scene.
Indiana is a parody. Tomás Mannion played on teams that lost to the likes of Leitrim, a long way frôm the radar of Dub bandwagoners. The abuse they got. Nobody rated Galway in 1995 either.
Football goes in cycles. Galway need a few more iterations.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on July 10, 2017, 07:24:27 AM
Quote from: DJGaliv on July 09, 2017, 04:51:47 PMI wouldn't even say we underestimated Roscommon.....

No, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I'm a Rossie living in Galway and everybody from work colleagues down to the local (and national) media where signing Galways praises. It was just a matter of turning up and collecting their cup. The winning score line was going to be a cricket score. Confidence is all good and well but there was no humitily or even the usual GAA attempt at talking up the opposition, Ala Jim Gavin and Carlow/Westmeath for example. It was just smug condescending arrogance by and large from Galway and they got their answer today. Read the Tuam Hearld's piece for example....

That HAD to feed down to the players and it showed in their attitude today. That's not to take away from Roscommon's efforts, they were immence and fully deserving of their win. But Galway could have been, and are, a lot better than today's efforts.

Very very little when you examine the evidence. Galway have achieved absolutely nothing in the last decade to consider themselves a foregone conclusion against anything other then a Div 3/4 side.

Still living off the back of Padraig Joyce, Donnellan , Mannion and the great players they once had

That's a bit harsh! Galway have been looking to get back to some level of competitiveness for the last 10 years. Once you fall out of the loop it's hard to get back in again. You say what have they achieved. Well they have beaten a still decent Mayo team in Championship the last two years. They have got into Division One and they have won a Connacht title. They are not the real deal. But they have made progress and have put themselves to be in the position to make progress. I know this may be hard for a person from Dublin to appreciate with all the advantages that go with the Dublin County and Club scene.
Indiana is a parody. Tomás Mannion played on teams that lost to the likes of Leitrim, a long way frôm the radar of Dub bandwagoners. The abuse they got. Nobody rated Galway in 1995 either.

Nah you need a few footballers. When you find some let the rest of us know. I reckon Galway Football has had more false dawns then the Green party at this point.
Until then you've no right to think you can walk all over the Roscommon's of this world.

magpie seanie

Galway need to get a proper manager and they'll improve. KW will get the freedom of Roscommon now!

FermGael

Delighted for Roscommon and their supporters on here.
Have always found them a very knowledgeable and fair set of supporters.

McStay played a blnder.

Roscommon are one of the bottom 6 when it comes to playing numbers.
They showed that the lack of numbers argument is rubbish.
Great to see.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: FermGael on July 10, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
Delighted for Roscommon and their supporters on here.
Have always found them a very knowledgeable and fair set of supporters.

McStay played a blnder.

Roscommon are one of the bottom 6 when it comes to playing numbers.
They showed that the lack of numbers argument is rubbish.
Great to see.

Well done to them but I think you're overegging the pudding a bit there.

Roscommon would probably have the third highest playing numbers in Connacht and all they had to was beat a Division 4 side to get to the final in the first place. Great result for them yesterday but it probably said as much about where Galway are at than Roscommon are.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2017, 09:45:14 PM
It's all coming together.
Galway beware!!

Now for ye!!
What a great day in Salthill yesterday :D
A flying start set us up nicely and despite losing our way in the second quarter we weathered the Galway 3rd quarter storm and won pulling up.
Mental and physical freshness, workrate, lack of pressure by being written off, lack of pressure by lack of expectations among the followers, lack of a bandwagon all contributed to our success.
However the players still had to perform on the day and by God they did.
Well done to management* for having them so well prepared.
I didn't agree with some of their selection calls but we'll have to credit them for getting it right.
16 year sinice we bet Galway or the Rhubarbs in Championship. Hopefully we can now make it a more regular occurrence.

To the players and panel congrats and  well done.
Now enjoy today but then put away the cup as that competition is over and prepare for the Quarter Final of the next competition.

* I have one quibble - the 3 year plan only had us reaching the CF not actually winning it. Time to tear it up McS/McH if ye won't keep to it. :-*

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: INDIANA on July 09, 2017, 11:16:44 PM
Galway is one of the premier GAA counties with stacks of cash behind them.

Problem is they don't deliver on the big day anymore a we saw against Tipperary last year.

It's got nothing to do with appreciating anything. Its'called delivery of performance

No Galway supporter has a leg to stand on in terms of making a defence of the team against any criticism after yesterday's non-performance, but with respect to the "stacks of cash" notion you are completely incorrect and misinformed on that point.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2017, 07:52:32 AM

Nah you need a few footballers. When you find some let the rest of us know. I reckon Galway Football has had more false dawns then the Green party at this point.
Until then you've no right to think you can walk all over the Roscommon's of this world.
Indy - you don't know enough about other counties or how success is built  You remind me of a cartoon character.
Kevin Walsh the player had to go through a lot of learning moments before he became a star. So did Ja Fallon. Ivan Lendl said one time that there are 2 kinds of losses. The ones you learn from and the ones you don't. 
The Galway players have that choice.

galwayman

What can you say after a game like that but congratulations to Roscommon.
Worth every one of the 9 points and probably could have won by more.
There was only team that showed any type of championship passion or intensity.

I don't know where we go from here to be honest. There's just no excuse for not bringing any sort of intensity to your play in a Connacht final.
It was nearly a replica of the timid display against Tipp last year.
Anyhow it's for another day.
Congrats to Ros and I hope ye win the quarter final whoever ye play.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 10, 2017, 08:11:44 AM
Galway need to get a proper manager and they'll improve. KW will get the freedom of Roscommon now!
Had he not already got it from 2010?

Owenmoresider

Congrats to Roscommon on a deserving win yesterday, thought they'd rue those first half wides when having the wind with them, and when Galway were making inroads (bar the Ros goal) into that lead in the third quarter but they held their nerve and it was a very composed second half display, never looked in doubt from a long way out. Well done and try to kick on in the quarters now.

On a side note to yesterday the Gardai in Salthill done a load of cars about pending parking fines for parking on the road where I'd parked out towards the Clybaun, despite there being no indication that parking wasn't going to be allowed there, bastards.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 10, 2017, 07:52:32 AM

Re false dawns how about Dubs 90-94, the arse boxing years or 2002-09? 

Maroon Manc

Well done to Roscommon, miles the better team and its reward for for all that hard work put in with those very good underage team. Hopefully that injury to Murtagh isn't serious, the lad deserves a break.

What a dreadful performance, a disgraceful opening 15 minutes devoid of any sort of intensity and were lucky not to be 12 points down. I thought after the opening 5 minutes of the second half they had a great chance but to concede a goal like that is nothing short of comical. Then they got themselves back in the match again only for to completely fall away again in the last 15 minutes but you have to give Roscommon credit for that, they managed to retain their own kickouts and went down the other end and kicked some great scores.

Its hard to believe a team could fall apart like that 2 years in a row especially after beating Mayo in consecutive years, its just not good enough. We're all aware of the issues with the defence and knew ultimately it would prevent from Galway kicking on but that performance yesterday and last year against Tipp was a team just not turning up, once you can understand but twice isn't acceptable. Kevin Walsh has done a decent job but another performance like that against Donegal would surely leave him under pressure. Its hard to look at individuals when everyone apart from Walsh & Kerin were atrocious but we're desperate for a fullback and someone who can actually defend in the half back line.

At least the players get the opportunity to bounce straight back unlike last year, if and its a big if they can win against Donegal it won't have been such a bad year but as we seen with Roscommon last year against Clare you just couldn't fancy Galway at all.