Donegal Fans attacked in Kesh

Started by FermGael, August 29, 2012, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Taken from the Fermanagh Herald

http://fermanaghherald.com/2012/08/29/gaa-fans-attacked-in-kesh/

QuoteGAA fans attacked in Kesh
August 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

CARS bringing jubilant Donegal GAA supporters back home last Sunday following their victory over Cork, were pelted with eggs hurled by youths in the main street of Kesh.
One young mother from Pettigo contacted the Herald to express her annoyance at an attack on two cars carrying her friends.
She herself was at the game and had travelled without incident through Kesh in a minibus at about 10.15 on Sunday night, shortly before her friends' cars were pelted with eggs thrown by 'a group of yobs in main street.
"They were in a string of cars going through. There were 44,000 from Donegal at the match, so you can imagine the queue going through. This is the main thoroughfare for people from Donegal town, the Rosses, Killybegs and, nearer home, Laghey and Pettigo.
"It was extremely upsetting for children to witness such an unwarranted show of abuse, especially as we all thought times had changed.
"I along with most people from Pettigo frequent Kesh on a regular basis, be it for shopping or eating. Thankfully, it is only a sad minority, and I know the majority of Kesh dwellers would frown at such a thing; but can someone please explain why this venom is still expressed to this day, 'cause I can't understand it.
"It is very intimidating, especially for the children, and their parents then have to explain to them why this is happening. I just think it's very sad."
She said she would not be opting for an alternative route home come 23rd September when Donegal play in the All-Ireland final.
"I will still go back through Kesh. We are only five miles away. We are all for peace and this is what you're up against. It is awful that people can't go on, un-noticed. OK, there could be another way home, but why should I let yobs deter me?"

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Tubberman

This needs some form a GAA Supporters Commission to be established.
Their primary function will be to reroute supporters away from contentious areas to avoid conflict.
The excuse of "this is the route Donegal supporters have take for generations" simply is not good enough!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LeoMc

Quote from: Tubberman on August 29, 2012, 12:54:48 PM
Their primary function will be to reroute supporters away from contentious areas to avoid conflict.
The excuse of "this is the route Donegal supporters have take for generations" simply is not good enough!
;D
Offensive coat trailing in areas where they are not wanted!! >:(
Apparently they detoured to the St Josephs grounds playing the Jimmy song which has a line about bringing Sam back again which is offensive to a County which has never won it.

BennyCake

No surprise here.

Derry fans regularly get attacked in the black hole that is New Buildings. And Armagh fans have been attacked on numerous occasions on the train in Portadown, the biggest black hole of them all.

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on August 29, 2012, 12:54:48 PM

Unionists are no doubt suspicious at how Cavan used to be the only Ulster team who ever had to go anywhere near Dublin yet now GAA cavalcades to the foreign capital invariably have to cross the border. Devious Taigs.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: BennyCake on August 29, 2012, 01:19:53 PM
No surprise here.

Derry fans regularly get attacked in the black hole that is New Buildings. And Armagh fans have been attacked on numerous occasions on the train in Portadown, the biggest black hole of them all.

They still prefer stones in New Buildings though.

nrico2006

Going through Newbuildings a few weeks before the 2005 final and just as my da was driving through the junction a brick went through our back window, the only give away was red and white cord around the rear view mirror in the car.  I live up near Portadown now, yet still would say that Newbuildings and Donemana are far worse, two black holes.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Should have returned fire, aiming at the ludicrous King Billy arch they stick up there every summer.

At least it was just eggs.

Where were the police? Station is on the main street too.

deiseach

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 29, 2012, 02:25:49 PM
Going through Newbuildings a few weeks before the 2005 final and just as my da was driving through the junction a brick went through our back window, the only give away was red and white cord around the rear view mirror in the car.

A lack of resemblance to Neanderthal man probably made you stick out as well

seafoid

No surprise here.

what happened to the Protestant work ethic?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: deiseach on August 29, 2012, 03:07:49 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 29, 2012, 02:25:49 PM
Going through Newbuildings a few weeks before the 2005 final and just as my da was driving through the junction a brick went through our back window, the only give away was red and white cord around the rear view mirror in the car.

A lack of resemblance to Neanderthal man probably made you stick out as well
If the windows are down the smell of soap usually gives you away in Newbuildings too

stew

No surprise here.

I dont believe there is a black hole called Portadown, I think that is pure conspiracy and has as much validity as the moon landing. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

RMDrive

I believe the people giving out leaflets on the Lifford bridge caused way more trouble than the lads throwing the few large free-ranges. They added an hour to people's journeys from what I heard.

endk17

Yep, heard that there was a fair delay across Lifford bridge. The North-West News Group are out for only one thing.