Rossies v Tyrone Hyde Park 13th July 5pm.

Started by giveballaghback, July 06, 2019, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 15, 2019, 06:36:53 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2019, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 14, 2019, 11:12:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2019, 10:37:04 PM
Imagine for a second if that was McCann who did what Smith did there. Imagine the social media outrage.

It's the exact same as the cavan player who punched meyler in the jaw, it's all forgotten about as it wasn't a Tyrone player doing it. Best just to keep these clips until some stupid person questions a potential foul by a Tyrone player then post it.

Any natural can clearly see what has been going on the last 2 weeks against Tyrone. Its clear that there will be more "missed"incidents against tyrone players in the next few weeks

The Sunday game did a piece on Roscommons persistent fouling and all Brolly could really say was "these Tyrone boys are looking for it".
The Sunday game pointed out that tyrone got a free every time a finger was laid on them unlike ros who could not buy a free from coldrick.
Or, Tyrone are better at not giving away soft frees in scorable positions

Angelo

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 15, 2019, 06:36:53 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2019, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 14, 2019, 11:12:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 14, 2019, 10:37:04 PM
Imagine for a second if that was McCann who did what Smith did there. Imagine the social media outrage.

It's the exact same as the cavan player who punched meyler in the jaw, it's all forgotten about as it wasn't a Tyrone player doing it. Best just to keep these clips until some stupid person questions a potential foul by a Tyrone player then post it.

Any natural can clearly see what has been going on the last 2 weeks against Tyrone. Its clear that there will be more "missed"incidents against tyrone players in the next few weeks

The Sunday game did a piece on Roscommons persistent fouling and all Brolly could really say was "these Tyrone boys are looking for it".
The Sunday game pointed out that tyrone got a free every time a finger was laid on them unlike ros who could not buy a free from coldrick.

They pointed out that Roscommon gave away a number of needless, idiotic frees due to their shocking indiscipline. Brolly just got the number wrong, he claimed Tyrone got 5 frees in the first half when I think it was actually only 2 or 3.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trileacman

Some scandalously uninformed horseshite being passed off on this thread and in the media in general as regards this game.

Coldrick ballsed up some yellow card decisions but on the balance of play got most things right the last day, it was far from the worst refereeing display I've ever seen and to be fair to those yellow cards it was exceptionally physical and hard-hitting with a fair degree of off the ball stuff from both sides. It was far from a easy game to ref and I fully expected a player from one of the sides to see a second yellow during the game, to be fair to Coldrick he just about managed to keep a lid on things without having to send anyone off.

I was very impressed by Tyrone and by default Roscommon on Saturday. As regards Ros they're a completely different animal to the side McStay had last year, he's just wasn't at the cut of top level management. Had the necessary level of cynicism needed to match the big boys and were clever in breaking down our blanket defence in the first half. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and couldn't help but think Cunningham is styling a fair bit of Roscommon's game on Tyrone's. The first half was like one team playing against a mirror. Both used zonal marking on kickouts and were prepared to concede one to the corner back before retreating in defensive formation at the halfway line. Both relied on a patient running game with an occasional longer kick pass into physically big but mobile inside forwards. Both had detailed man-markers to key men and both sides were pulling and dragging to impede players off the ball. Peter Harte and Enda Smith in particular were singled out for close "attention". It was no surprise really that it was blow for blow for 45 minutes before Tyrone got the upper hand.

There was a lot of pressure on Tyrone attacks which made the point scoring in the first half particularly notable. Sludden was amazing, picked his form up of the floor with 3 wonder points. Brennan and McNamee rode their luck a fair bit but all will be reasonably happy to have held their men to a point each from play. A goal would have been a really really telling score for either team and Ros looked the much more likely whilst the game was still in the melting pot. It's probably a testament to the defensive philosophies of the sides that this was the only Super 8 tie not to raise a green flag.

Harte, Donnelly and McShane really turned this tie in that period where we rattled 3-4 points in succession. I thought their contribution was really telling in that period which was a bonus because none of the 3 had really been having marque days until that point. Our handling and distribution was for the most part top class and for me that was the difference in the teams. Roscommon were guilty of spilling the ball on a few occasions especially in really dangerous positions and for me that's why we took the points. It's nothing to do with a 5 week layoff, lack of conditioning or "over emotion" (for fucks sake).

As regards the downsides; Harte, Morgan and McShane all missing frees really pissed me off. McShane's last miss was the worst because he should have put it down for Morgan but took on one outside his range and put it to waste despite being well within Morgans capability. Burns, once again, is a real curates egg. He appears incredibly slack in defence and at times one dimensional and greedy when attacking. Ballooned a ball wide from 50m in the opening minutes, on a day marked by clever and patient attacking by both sides it stood out as particularly brainless. However he has an engine to cover ground surpassed only by Meyler and Matty Donnelly and Harte has alot of faith in him, regularly giving him the 70 minutes so he's definitely seeing something important in him. He's definitely filling an important role for this side but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Meyler and Brennan have solidified this team two fold since their inclusion. I can't think of a singe game were Rory Brennan has put a foot wrong in a Tyrone shirt and it's mind-blowing that for so long and for so many people (including management) he has been seen as a dispensable option in the side. The anti-Harte brigade love to pillar him for dropping or overlooking Lee Brennan, Bradley, Ronan O'Neill and Coney but leaving R Brennan out of the side for so long is probably a much more worthy criticism that any of those. Morgan had a good day on kickouts and shot-stopping but there'll be days when were pressed much much harder than this and that defence can't get complacent and believe that they now have the restart mastered.

I've a lot of hope going forward and Ros should have too. Far too little credit is given in the mainstream media for any of our victories and this isn't a "world against Tyrone" tirade. We knocked out Cork, Donegal, Meath, Cavan and Roscommon (more or less) in last years championship and all 5 have showed in games since to actually be top footballing sides who can mix it with the best and beat the best. In every instance last year those victories were dismissed with the analysis "ah sure they're shite/they're on the downslope/they don't know what they're at". Taking on a in-form Rossie side away from home in front of a partisan crowd and coming away with a disciplined victory is a huge achievement and Ros should be far from disappointed by their performance. Tyrone's performance and result at the weekend was every bit as noteworthy as Kerry tanking an ageing, injured Mayo at home.

One last thing, HP McGeary was assigned to mark Geariod McKiernan the last day v Cavan and completely nullified one of Cavan's main performers. He stuck to him, hounded and harassed him around the park and completely put McKiernan off his game. It was no suprise to see him pick up Smith on Sunday given he had just a week previously nullified a players who's game is almost a carbon copy of Smiths. He strayed over the lines of the rule book whilst trying to mark Smith and was correctly given a yellow card. That doesn't excuse what Smith done. I was in the crowd and clearly seen that he struck Hugh Pat in the head whilst he was on the ground. How the ref but particularly the linesman standing in front of the incidence missed it is baffling. I could mitigate it by saying it mightn't have been a punch/I'm sure Smith regrets being so reckless/he doesn't seem to be a dirty player etc but all the same it was an unsporting action and should have been a red card at the time. There's none of the usual twitteratti / TSG hysteria accompanying this that would have been the case were it a player like Neil McGee/ Tiernan McCann/ Eoin Kerins which to me reaffirms my belief certain players/teams are held to different standards than the rest.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jayop

What did HP actually do to Smith to get his yellow? Wasn't shown on TV and it seemed like either they couldn't find video of it or they forgot to look.

Smith's punch was a fairly dirty act, McCann was rightly called out by everyone for his dirty actions against Donegal and what Smith did was every bit as bad but in all the analysis I've read or heard since the game apart from on here there's not been a single mention of it.

As for the ref, I said thoughout the game I thought he was reffing the game well in terms of calling fouls, didn't miss much and I don't think either side should complain about that but the Rossies will because they know they haven't a leg to stand on with the card count so have to come up with some nonsense to deflect.

Smtih should have had a red, another black should have been handed out late in the game for the throw of McShane to the ground. Probably the most blatent black I've ever seen and after seeing some of the cards we've had in the last few weeks it was terrible it was missed. Some of the other yellows we got were beyond a joke.

It's not just this game that has us boiling over this. It's constant these days and coming on the heels of the Cavan match where the card count was again farcical then you have to wonder is it more than just simple reffing errors.

Rudi

trileacman

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2019, 10:00:46 PM
What did HP actually do to Smith to get his yellow? Wasn't shown on TV and it seemed like either they couldn't find video of it or they forgot to look.

Smith's punch was a fairly dirty act, McCann was rightly called out by everyone for his dirty actions against Donegal and what Smith did was every bit as bad but in all the analysis I've read or heard since the game apart from on here there's not been a single mention of it.

As for the ref, I said thoughout the game I thought he was reffing the game well in terms of calling fouls, didn't miss much and I don't think either side should complain about that but the Rossies will because they know they haven't a leg to stand on with the card count so have to come up with some nonsense to deflect.

Smtih should have had a red, another black should have been handed out late in the game for the throw of McShane to the ground. Probably the most blatent black I've ever seen and after seeing some of the cards we've had in the last few weeks it was terrible it was missed. Some of the other yellows we got were beyond a joke.

It's not just this game that has us boiling over this. It's constant these days and coming on the heels of the Cavan match where the card count was again farcical then you have to wonder is it more than just simple reffing errors.

You obviously watched the match at home on tv. It's alot easier to call a yellow card fair/unfair having watched a succession of slow motion replays from your sofa. David Coldrick got one look at it happening at full pelt through a sea of bodies. They aren't easy calls to make. Add in the fact that players are going down clutching their head and faces for any contact of note and the difficulty in discerning the "truth" in a tackle is very difficult for anyone. To be fair to Coldrick he held back all day on issuing reds and blacks probably because he didn't see an instance where he could be 100% sure that it was definitely a black or definitely a red. It's a much greater injustice to have a player incorrectly sent off than to have a opposition player dealt with leniently.

I haven't seen the highlights yet barring Smiths strike on McGeary. For the record from the one look at the yellows I got on Saturday I couldn't definitively say that any of the cards dealt out were harsh with the exception of Ben McDonnells. Colly threw himself about recklessly all day and my heart was in my mouth watching him tackle because so many of them appeared rash and mistimed.

I'd completely disagree with what you said about McCann being rightly called out. I think there was a lot of hysteria around that incident that was unfair on an amateur player and I've seen it many times before in the GAA sadly. He deserved his ban but not the holier than thou condemnation from the "fur coat/no knickers" brigade. Conor Gormley, Diarmurd Connolly, Noel O'Leary, Francy Bellew, Neil McGee, Paul Galvin to name but a few have all been on the end of the "he's a disgrace/tr**p/coward/should be banned for life/never set foot on a pitch again" hand wringing. It's fuelled by two things; the sensationalism of certain Sunday Game analysts and old-fashioned Irish begrudgery. First it happens to a player from your country and old foes cry bloody murder so you bide your time until it's some other poor bstard's turn and then stick the boot into him.

Not sure the specific incident Patsy was carded for but he was hanging out of Smith for the early part of the game. It was certainly not a particularly unjust yellow. My only qualm with it was that Petey Harte is consistently targeted for special treatment of the ball, mainly because it's so effective, but I've yet to see a ref try to stamp it out. Matty Donnelly and McShane are physically powerful enough to counter such attention and the likes of Sludden have the yard of pace that make jersey pulling and holding so much more obvious to referees. Peter Harte doesn't have the size or pace to counter "off the ball" tactics but because he's such a vital cog in the Tyrone machine it's now a traditional tactic of nullifying Tyrone and it's very cynical. John Small does give him a horrid time off the ball when Tyrone play Dublin.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyrone08

Quote from: trileacman on July 16, 2019, 12:15:43 AM

You obviously watched the match at home on tv. It's alot easier to call a yellow card fair/unfair having watched a succession of slow motion replays from your sofa. David Coldrick got one look at it happening at full pelt through a sea of bodies. They aren't easy calls to make. Add in the fact that players are going down clutching their head and faces for any contact of note and the difficulty in discerning the "truth" in a tackle is very difficult for anyone. To be fair to Coldrick he held back all day on issuing reds and blacks probably because he didn't see an instance where he could be 100% sure that it was definitely a black or definitely a red. It's a much greater injustice to have a player incorrectly sent off than to have a opposition player dealt with leniently.

I haven't seen the highlights yet barring Smiths strike on McGeary. For the record from the one look at the yellows I got on Saturday I couldn't definitively say that any of the cards dealt out were harsh with the exception of Ben McDonnells. Colly threw himself about recklessly all day and my heart was in my mouth watching him tackle because so many of them appeared rash and mistimed.

I'd completely disagree with what you said about McCann being rightly called out. I think there was a lot of hysteria around that incident that was unfair on an amateur player and I've seen it many times before in the GAA sadly. He deserved his ban but not the holier than thou condemnation from the "fur coat/no knickers" brigade. Conor Gormley, Diarmurd Connolly, Noel O'Leary, Francy Bellew, Neil McGee, Paul Galvin to name but a few have all been on the end of the "he's a disgrace/tr**p/coward/should be banned for life/never set foot on a pitch again" hand wringing. It's fuelled by two things; the sensationalism of certain Sunday Game analysts and old-fashioned Irish begrudgery. First it happens to a player from your country and old foes cry bloody murder so you bide your time until it's some other poor bstard's turn and then stick the boot into him.

Not sure the specific incident Patsy was carded for but he was hanging out of Smith for the early part of the game. It was certainly not a particularly unjust yellow. My only qualm with it was that Petey Harte is consistently targeted for special treatment of the ball, mainly because it's so effective, but I've yet to see a ref try to stamp it out. Matty Donnelly and McShane are physically powerful enough to counter such attention and the likes of Sludden have the yard of pace that make jersey pulling and holding so much more obvious to referees. Peter Harte doesn't have the size or pace to counter "off the ball" tactics but because he's such a vital cog in the Tyrone machine it's now a traditional tactic of nullifying Tyrone and it's very cynical. John Small does give him a horrid time off the ball when Tyrone play Dublin.

Below is the link to the punch on the head. You only need 1 viewing to know it was a clear strike. The linesman and ref had the perfect view of it. But as ot happened early in the game the ref ignored it

https://twitter.com/captainbullshi6/status/1150101239658455040?s=21

nrico2006

I always thought Peter Harte had good speed.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 16, 2019, 07:04:48 AM

Below is the link to the punch on the head. You only need 1 viewing to know it was a clear strike. The linesman and ref had the perfect view of it. But as ot happened early in the game the ref ignored it

Surprised that there's no media outrage over this.
That was never a square ball!!

gander

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 16, 2019, 10:22:00 AM

Surprised that there's no media outrage over this.

prob cause it wasnt an ulster player doing it.  every bit as bad as McCanns

BennyHarp

Surely Enda Smith must be facing a ban. In fact, Ciaran Whelan should take him by the scruff of the neck and make him apologise to the nation.

Edit. I forgot that punching someone in the face is manly, therefore is ok in the GAA.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

And Enda didn't get a box in the face in the first minute.
And Killoran didn't get a box in the head.
And the whole Tyrone team are innocent choir boys led by St Mickey.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2019, 11:05:09 AM
And Enda didn't get a box in the face in the first minute.
And Killoran didn't get a box in the head.
And the whole Tyrone team are innocent choir boys led by St Mickey.

With a ref enforcing the rules of the game Tyrone would have finished with about 12 players. Roscommon had two stone wall penos not given either. Smith was foulded for his goal chance and Murtagh was nearly raped off the ball when a shot was dropping short,Its was  right in front of coldrick who chose to ignore it as he did when Glennon was fouled before the ball arrived later in the game, Was atrocious reffereeing and laughably one sided in favor of Tyrone.

Rossfan

Whatever about the regular "small" decisions going mainly against us he refused to make the big calls against a big team.
He'll most likely get the AI Final so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fearsiuil

Smith a lucky lucky boy that not seen. Dirty act and he knew it when sidestepped the Tyrone lad running past him as was probably expecting a thump.