Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Stretch your back(obviously) and hamstrings out. A lot of lower back problems stem from the hamstrings.

Make sure your trainers have appropriate support for your GAIT too... (check if you pronate or not and get the right shoes accordingly).

Mayo4Sam

@Mario, I have similar probs, for me it's my core muscles not being strong enough & hammers over compensate. A good physio will give u simple exercises for the core & it should sort it out.

@ moysider, I only ask cause the cycle route was put on map my cycle by "moysider".
I did it alright, enjoyed the rain on the bike. Imploded on the run, bad shin splints, had to walk it, disaster
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 15, 2010, 12:43:07 AM
@Mario, I have similar probs, for me it's my core muscles not being strong enough & hammers over compensate. A good physio will give u simple exercises for the core & it should sort it out.

@ moysider, I only ask cause the cycle route was put on map my cycle by "moysider".
I did it alright, enjoyed the rain on the bike. Imploded on the run, bad shin splints, had to walk it, disaster

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Used my garmin to plot out the run route about 6 weeks ago for them. Didn't do anything for the cycle though. Running off the bike is a bastard though. A lot struggled on the run. I find that a lot of the triathletes dont like running much and would much prefer the bike and swimming. Some did great training for the run. Repeats of cycling to Killala road and back to the track and running 800 metres on the track. Only way to get used to the wobbly legs. First time I tried running off a bike I almost ran into a tree in the woods :D

lurganblue

I get an awful sore sole on my right foot only after long runs of say 10 miles. The pain is terrible for the rest of the day but then gone the next morning. I own a good pair of running shoes but I take it my foot is wonkey :)

Aerlik

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2010, 08:03:18 PM
Stretch your back(obviously) and hamstrings out. A lot of lower back problems stem from the hamstrings.

Make sure your trainers have appropriate support for your GAIT too... (check if you pronate or not and get the right shoes accordingly).

For the past four years I've been bothered with lower back pain.  It only goes after a bit of cycling to initially warm up the hammys, gluts and lower back.  This week I started running again and have done two 5km runs so far and the back is great.  Also agree that shoes are vital. I use Mizuno Alchemy.  They were expensive but definitely worth it.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Mayo4Sam

I find it worse after the swim, I'd be falling down with dizziness!

lurganblue

anyone have a running belt to hold a little water and gels etc? any good recommendations of which ones are best.  for the last few months i've been carrying a bottle of water around with me but it starts to wear on you a bit when doing longer distances

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lurganblue on August 17, 2010, 05:04:50 PM
anyone have a running belt to hold a little water and gels etc? any good recommendations of which ones are best.  for the last few months i've been carrying a bottle of water around with me but it starts to wear on you a bit when doing longer distances
You need one of these chaps...

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=5319

lurganblue

No way am I wearing one of them things Tony  :D

Mayo4Sam

Anyone doing gaelforce this weekend?

take_yer_points

Does anyone use one of those Nike+ sensors with the iPod or iPhone? I play indoor and would like to find out how far I'm running each time. Can the sensor record the distance I've ran without being in close proximity to the iPhone?

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

I'm going to start running...now, considering I haven't ran anywhere in years how would you boys suggest starting off...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?