Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Is that not sprinting though skull? I wouldn't be sure you could apply that theory to longer distances...

RedandGreenSniper

Jaysus Moysider those times put me to shame! Me in my 20s and trying to break 50mins for a 10k and you breaking it with ease! Must be something in the water on the Moy!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on October 26, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 26, 2009, 04:18:33 PM
It'a practise to a point.

Basically train your cardio system first and then worry about the speed from there once it's trained.

You need to learn to run slow before you can run fast...

Not according to this article tommy

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/building-speed-and-endurance

Wrong article sorry

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0004.htm
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 26, 2009, 09:35:22 PM
Jaysus Moysider those times put me to shame! Me in my 20s and trying to break 50mins for a 10k and you breaking it with ease! Must be something in the water on the Moy!

I have to improve Sniper. The missus did the marathon comfortably in under 4 hours today and a neighbour who is 68 did it in 3.53.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2009, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 25, 2009, 09:46:38 PM
What's everyone favourite distance and their personal best time?
0.5mm
14.32 secs.

That your erection or penetration time?

imtommygunn

Tempo and intervals are both forms of speedwork though Skull.

I'd say you'd likely cover as much, possibly more, ground in the intervals.

I find intervals only get you so far, well me anyway, without the long runs.

Eastern_Pride

A friend of mine found that doing a session of sprints builds up your endurance faster than long distance ever would:

Find a pitch or 100m track.
Sprint 100, jog back, sprint 150, jog back and repeat as much as you can. He then ends up in doing a slow run for about 1k and resting. I knoiw this works for him because he won himself a 10k race by near 8 minutes the other week.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

theskull1

You'd need to post up his age and time before that would impress anybody EP. Winning a 10K by eight minutes suggests a very ropey field

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2009, 05:04:59 PM
You'd need to post up his age and time before that would impress anybody EP. Winning a 10K by eight minutes suggests a very ropey field
Indeed but himself isn't a full time runner either.

theskull1

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on October 27, 2009, 05:10:10 PM

Aye...but I'm just suggesting that to those that want to train properly for these type of things wouldn't be following that anecdotal advice until they knew what he ran it in (taking age and general fitness levels prior to that training regime into consideration)

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2009, 05:19:47 PM

Aye...but I'm just suggesting that to those that want to train properly for these type of things wouldn't be following that anecdotal advice until they knew what he ran it in (taking age and general fitness levels prior to that training regime into consideration)
Ah I suppose yeah well he was 20/21 in training and did it in about 35minutes. I think I may be setting too hard a training but I've heard it done before.

muppet

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2009, 05:19:47 PM

Skull this guy has form.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Can I be as bold as to ask for some running advice from some of the board's learned road runners?

I'm planning on running a 10k on Sunday next and have been training for it for about a month. My starting point would have been my fitness levels at the end of an injury ravaged season so I started off doing 3km in 15mins and building myself up gradually twice a week and then twice a week I would run 15mins at a higher pace (13.1km/hr up to 13.5 etc).

My target for the 10k is to do it in 50 minutes. I don't know if I want to do it if I can't break 50 minutes. Anyway I thought I was well on course until I hit the road for the first time in this training spell last Friday (stupid I know). I did a 5km run and did it in 23mins 20secs. Not a bad time but I really struggled at the end. The slopes in the run and the cold air was a big change from the treadmill. So too was having to control your speed yourself!

Anyway I tried an 8km run the following day but cramped up and had to turn back after 2km. So I was unsure of whether I'd be able to do the 10km. I did 10km in 50mins tonight on the treadmill but did find it very tough (the furthest I'd run on the treadmill was 40mins and 8kms the Tues before) and was thinking that if I was on the road I would stop!

So my question - can I realistically hope to do 10km in 50 mins on Sunday? Is it a mental thing with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

thewobbler

It'll be no bother to you sniper. The two easiest road runs I've ever done in my life were legs of the Belfast Marathon. You've always got something to aim at, whether it be a distance marker, a landmark, or a person in the distance.

haranguerer

I wont pretend to know much about running, but i've did 2 10ks in the last while, one in just over 42 m, and that bastard of a westlink run in 43 and 1/2.

I didnt do that much specific training for them, was playing football, but did a few 5m road runs. I also did a few runs on the treadmill, and I found that I was generally a good bit slower on the treadmill - I think because whereas on the road you can pace yourself better, you're gonna hold yourself back a bit on the treadmill because you want to stay at the same pace for the duration, and dont want to have to stop.

The thinking for my training was just to do the distance, or close to it from the start, and then worry about bringing the time down.

I wouldnt worry too much about the treadmill run. I reckon that you should be well able to do the actual 10k in under 50 min, especially with the adrenalin of the day, and also running beside people. Just dont go off too fast!