Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie d

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2012, 10:32:03 AM
Have my big 10k on Saturday now. I had done 2 5k runs at the beginning of August but the knee was at me (I've had 2 cruciate operations in the last 3 years) so had to take a break for a couple of weeks. The physio has told me I shouldn't be running on the roads but the 10k is in memory of a lad from here and I said I would do it this time so I feel I have to. Anyway I did the course the other night and broke the hour mark.

I had only meant to toodle around it to get an idea of the course but after taking 32 mins for the first 5k (with a lot of hills) I decided to push on and did the 2nd in 25.

I would like to break the 50 minute mark but is there any kind of strategy I should be using? Like I said I haven't done much training but would 5 mins hard and then 2 minutes slow get me a decent time or what kind of strategies do others use for 10ks?

wanted to get to this run but cant, good luck with it, i hope you get a good crowd out for the cause

thewobbler

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2012, 06:16:12 PM
Wobbler if you stick at it you'd be very surprised with limits. That's the one thing I've noticed in the running - you don't know your limits and it's a good 3 or 4 years till you reach them.

Running races are one of the worst places in the world to be when you blow up so best to avoid if you can... Stubbornness will get you through it but it's not fun!

I'm not sure Tommy. Even when I was flying fit, I was the slowest player on just about any team I played for.

I was in the States when I was 21 and played soccer for my college. Part of the coach's training regime was you had to pass a basic fitness test of 1.5m in 10 mins, a 10 min break, then 1.5 miles in 9 mins. You did it every day until you passed.

Most of the team passed on day one, and the rest got there after a couple of weeks. At week 5 he gave me an exemption! I got the 10 okay, but couldn't get 9.

A few years later I did 9 on a running machine, after serious months of building up... and it took me about an hour to recover.

So I'd think that I'm distance running my absolute peak is about 6.15 a mile. I just don't got the basics to go any quicker!

Rois

Missing the parkrun for the next few weeks as I'm away but really liking it. Started at 28 mins but got down to 26.15 by week 3.

I use Nike GPS app (not the one linked to your shoe) on iPhone as I listen to music while I run. Do my best times to Meatloaf - Dead Ringer For Love - who knew??

ONeill

Anyone doing interval running? I find it more enjoyable than standard straight running.

I tailor my own - 6mph-3mph-7mph-3mph-8mph-3mph-9mph-3mph-10mph-3mph (one minute each) x 3 (30 mins)

For the likes of 10k I found myself around 5-6 thinking I'm not enjoying this. The above doesn't allow those thoughts.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on September 08, 2012, 12:29:31 AM
Anyone doing interval running? I find it more enjoyable than standard straight running.

I tailor my own - 6mph-3mph-7mph-3mph-8mph-3mph-9mph-3mph-10mph-3mph (one minute each) x 3 (30 mins)

For the likes of 10k I found myself around 5-6 thinking I'm not enjoying this. The above doesn't allow those thoughts.
You're a f**king eejit.

All of a Sludden

I've been running the same route on and off for just over three years, its just short of eight miles (7.98), seven of those being cross country. I'm not what you would call a natural runner, but have stuck at it. My initial aim was to get my time down to under an hour, which I did last year, but today I smashed my PB and did it in 56 mins dead.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 08, 2012, 12:41:07 AM

You're a f**king eejit.

Try it listening to Brian Kennedy.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: ONeill on September 08, 2012, 12:46:19 AM

You're a f**king eejit.

He is on TV atm
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Tony Baloney

You're a f**king eejit.

Just seen the hoor on BBC 4.

Milltown Row2

Interval training is (for me anyways) far better than the normal running, I run on the treadmill for 21 minutes, 6mph for a minute then up it to 10 for a minute, carry that through for the 21 minutes. It's a fair old slog but I've noticed the benefits when running.

Played a few games at the club and the difference I've notice has been great, quicker to the ball, breathing better, concentration better.

Get out and try the 5k Park Run at the the Waterworks, great for that initial 'competitive' run, you'll find that you'll run a lot quicker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

eddie d

You're a f**king eejit.

u must have Q106, dats all they play

imtommygunn

Quote from: thewobbler on September 07, 2012, 09:06:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2012, 06:16:12 PM
Wobbler if you stick at it you'd be very surprised with limits. That's the one thing I've noticed in the running - you don't know your limits and it's a good 3 or 4 years till you reach them.

Running races are one of the worst places in the world to be when you blow up so best to avoid if you can... Stubbornness will get you through it but it's not fun!

I'm not sure Tommy. Even when I was flying fit, I was the slowest player on just about any team I played for.

I was in the States when I was 21 and played soccer for my college. Part of the coach's training regime was you had to pass a basic fitness test of 1.5m in 10 mins, a 10 min break, then 1.5 miles in 9 mins. You did it every day until you passed.

Most of the team passed on day one, and the rest got there after a couple of weeks. At week 5 he gave me an exemption! I got the 10 okay, but couldn't get 9.

A few years later I did 9 on a running machine, after serious months of building up... and it took me about an hour to recover.

So I'd think that I'm distance running my absolute peak is about 6.15 a mile. I just don't got the basics to go any quicker!

That's nearly a 38 10k though...

I help out a good bit with training new runners and the improvements are remarkable in some of them. Everyone has their limits but I'd say you've a bit to go. I'm about 6 minutes quicker than first 10k and hopefully have a few in me yet.

screenexile

Did the 10k yesterday and managed to get in under the 50 minute mark. 49.03 to be exact. Jesus it was brutal stuff at times there was a lot of heart and a headwind on the 2 big climbs. I had to stop 4 times but kept walking and only did it for 5 seconds then straight back at it.

Really happy to have done it but serious pain all day yesterday and today. One thing I liked was the sense of community around the whole thing although it was organized by a mental health group from our area so that maybe doesn't happen a lot. Can't see me doing one again any time soon but if these knees ever settle down I'd love to get into it a bit more seriously.

Oak Leafer

Took part in the same 10k Screenexile done at the weekend.....54min 1 sec.....delighted....3 months ago i couldn't run 5km!

Now...having got the taste...i want to improve.

I had been running every other day, doing 4/5miles.

Any advice on how i should approach things now?

Bingo

Quote from: Oak Leafer on September 11, 2012, 01:51:42 PM
Took part in the same 10k Screenexile done at the weekend.....54min 1 sec.....delighted....3 months ago i couldn't run 5km!

Now...having got the taste...i want to improve.

I had been running every other day, doing 4/5miles.

Any advice on how i should approach things now?

You probably need to decide what your target is:

Marathon/Half Marathon
or stay at 10k and do faster times at that distance and/or shorter distances.

For either of these there is a whole range of options. If looking to go faster its a case of continuing to cover the distances but to add in some form of structure ie Interval running, Tempo running, hill running etc in which to build up speed, stamina.

Interval running is setting a distance say 400m and going hard for that distance, slowing right down again for same distance ot set time for recovery and then going hard again for the 400m. Repeat this as possible, abviously it has a warm up run and cool down run.

Tempo running would be doing a 10km run and building up speed to run at a required race pace eg 2km slow run to warm up, next km at 5min per km pace, next km at 4.30min per km, next km at 4min per km pace and then back up. Lots of variation on it.

Huge scope for training out there but setting a target is the first step.