Setanta Sport on the brink of collapse.

Started by mournerambler, June 08, 2009, 05:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

From the BBC

Setanta goes into administration

The Irish broadcaster Setanta Sports has gone into administration after failing to make a number of payments to sporting organisations.

The administrator Deloitte said that it would shortly cease broadcasting to customers in Great Britain but would continue to operate elsewhere.

They said they would immediately stop collecting subscription payments.

About 200 employees involved with the British operations will be made redundant, the firm said.

Setanta had a total of 420 employees in the UK and Ireland.

"This is a sad day for all concerned," said Sir Robin Miller, chairman of Setanta.

"Unfortunately, in a difficult and highly competitive market, and despite strenuous efforts by the board and management, it has not been possible to find sufficient additional funds in the time available to ensure its survival."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8115360.stm
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

full back

Teleperformance in Newry done a lot of work for Setanta & I hear a lot of them are losing their jobs now. Not good for anyone

bingobus

Did Setanta Ireland have an EPL package for the Irish market? The Saturday 3pm kick-off that big Dolan presented.

RTE had this for a season or so. Will this continue on Setanta Ireland.

Archie Mitchell

What will viewers in the North be expected to get then if they still keep their Setanta subscription?

glens73

Bummer really, as I don't know if any GAA will be shown in the uk apart from the Ulster SFC on BBC2NI!

Not to mention their boxing and UFC coverage.

:-[ :-[ :-[

Gaffer

Any Northern viewers cancelling their subscriptions?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

imtommygunn

Does it not say it's stopping subscriptions in the UK? Mind you I just cancelled direct debit.

I'm still getting setanta ireland through sky.

They didn't take any subscription of me last month. Any wonder they're going to administration.

under the bar

What will happen to Aisake and Seán Óg?

longrunsthefox

Tony Baloney

Quote from: full back on June 23, 2009, 04:07:31 PM
Teleperformance in Newry done a lot of work for Setanta & I hear a lot of them are losing their jobs now. Not good for anyone
Could be a hundred getting their cards in Newry according to the news tonight.

Candyman

A few mates work in teleperformance in Newry. One of them was telling me there was a Similar outfit in Gateshead got the road 2day and Newry base are just waiting to be given a date...

Clown

will setanta continute to take direct debits from my account each month?

wot happens racing uk? will we still get it?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Clown on June 24, 2009, 11:15:54 AM
wot happens racing uk? will we still get it?

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/09/06/23/manual_171325.html

Seems a bit steep - not sure if I'll renew. RUK has got all the best tracks but their presenters are far too up themselves for my liking. Round the clock replays and a sh1tty website doesn't really seem worth it. At least ATR provides a decent website with a video archive and they have other shows like Get On and Stateside instead of showing replays on a loop.

Looks like I'll be strolling down to the bookies more often when the National Hunt starts to get serious.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

BennyHarp

Not sure if someone has posted this before but for those of us in the UK the link below is excellent for watching RTE2 - its very good quality however it has jsut come back after coming off air for a while! But its better than nothing for watching the gaelic!

mms://live2.wm.rte.servecast.net/rte_wmlz_rte2-450.wmv
That was never a square ball!!

glens73

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 24, 2009, 12:17:41 PM
Not sure if someone has posted this before but for those of us in the UK the link below is excellent for watching RTE2 - its very good quality however it has jsut come back after coming off air for a while! But its better than nothing for watching the gaelic!

mms://live2.wm.rte.servecast.net/rte_wmlz_rte2-450.wmv

Cheers Benny Harp for that. I've never heard of that before.

If you hooked a laptop to your PC when watching this would the picture be ok and could you fill the whole tv screen?