1916 Commemoration Debate.

Started by Farrandeelin, March 30, 2015, 11:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

The Govt are announcing this tomorrow. Should ALL soldiers be remembered? Should the cause be celebrated? Lively debate on Claire Byrne show.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

theticklemister

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 30, 2015, 11:18:01 PM
The Govt are announcing this tomorrow. Should ALL soldiers be remembered? Should the cause be celebrated? Lively debate on Claire Byrne show.

What you mean , the British soldiers? Why would they be remembered for?

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: theticklemister on March 30, 2015, 11:44:26 PM

Of course they should be remembered. 1916 was battle after all. If you belittle those that you defeat then you take away from your own achievement.

Oraisteach

In the US, July 4th commemorates the American victory over the British.  Nowhere have  I heard of  people commemorating the defeated imperialists on that day.

balladmaker

It's not April Fool's Day yet, this thread has to be a wind up.

theticklemister

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 31, 2015, 12:04:14 AM

Of course they should be remembered. 1916 was battle after all. If you belittle those that you defeat then you take away from your own achievement.

It must be the Ireland that we live in today so.......

What the government does to commemorate 1916 won't matter a fcuk to me.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: theticklemister on March 31, 2015, 12:35:52 AM

It must be the Ireland that we live in today so.......

What the government does to commemorate 1916 won't matter a fcuk to me.

why should we care what you think ?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: balladmaker on March 31, 2015, 12:22:02 AM
I only started it because it was on the Claire Byrne show. I know exactly what I want to see commemorated, and want to see other people's point of view. It set off a massive part in our island's history.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Subbie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 31, 2015, 08:12:26 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 31, 2015, 12:22:02 AM
I only started it because it was on the Claire Byrne show. I know exactly what I want to see commemorated, and want to see other people's point of view. It set off a massive part in our island's history.

Ah yes, the Claire Byrne show.

The aural equivalent of the spindo.

I can only imagine what the guests were proposing, a reenactment of the executions with John Bruton as the officer in charge.

magpie seanie

I fully expect the government to make a dogs dinner of this.

AZOffaly

We didn't defeat them in 1916 though.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 09:17:44 AM

They were never really defeated, if they wanted to they could have levelled the whole place. They walked away on their own terms creating a mess that still exists today.

Jeepers Creepers

Definitely merits a 'Savage eye' one off special.

deiseach

Quote from: The Subbie on March 31, 2015, 08:17:05 AM
I can only imagine what the guests were proposing, a reenactment of the executions with John Bruton as the officer in charge.

It's funny because it's true.

foxcommander

Quote from: OakleafCounty on March 31, 2015, 10:58:12 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 09:17:44 AM

They were never really defeated, if they wanted to they could have levelled the whole place. They walked away on their own terms creating a mess that still exists today.

There's still a lot of West Brits and Free Staters who are sad they ever left (and want them back).

The successive governments have some neck celebrating 1916 after what they've done to the place.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie