NHL 2015

Started by seafoid, February 15, 2015, 04:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 09:13:16 AM
That Div1b crap is just lazy nonsense trotted out by the ill informed and as you say, if it doesn't suit the narrative it isn't mentioned..

Waterford won yesterday and won well because they were in winning form and probably had tougher games in the league proper. Who knows where each team is at in terms championship preparation so any victories in March or April should not be seen as some sort of guide come summer time.

There aren't too many on the Galway hurling forum who'd agree with ya there johnney.....

http://galwayhurlingforum.proboards.com/thread/76/waterford-galway-league-qf-2015?page=4

I didn't get to see the game as I'm travelling but the unanimous verdict on the Galway forum is that they're a complete shambles, Cunningham doesn't have a plan or a clue and needs the door, and we are all set for another very short summer.

It was all looking fairly positive until the Dublin game but things have gone wrong very quickly, and we'll be heading into the championship with expectations at an all-time low (or the lowest since the late 70's anyway). I didn't see enough of the league games myself to have a worthwhile opinion on it.

Waterford seem to be in good shape with some very exciting young talent, though bizarrely, themselves and Dublin are longer odds with the bookies for the All-Ireland.

deiseach

I'm the world's biggest fatalist, and even I thought we had it won midway through the second half. It's good that we're playing Tipp as that shower of vultures will feast on any weaknesses you might have.

Asal Mor

Quote from: deiseach on March 30, 2015, 02:02:14 PM
I'm the world's biggest fatalist, and even I thought we had it won midway through the second half. It's good that we're playing Tipp as that shower of vultures will feast on any weaknesses you might have.

John Mullane reckons ye've a special bunch that should go on to big things. It'd be great to see Waterford go all the way one of these years, and if they provide half the entertainment that Mullane, Kelly, Dan, Flynn, McGrath and co. did, we'll be in for some fantastic summer days.

deiseach

One thing is for sure. If Derek McGrath does bring us to the Promised Land it won't be playing the swashbuckling hurling of yore. More (Mc)Guinness, less champagne!

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on March 30, 2015, 03:09:19 PM
One thing is for sure. If Derek McGrath does bring us to the Promised Land it won't be playing the swashbuckling hurling of yore. More (Mc)Guinness, less champagne!

Wee Davy was fond of the 13 behind the ball too in his time in Waterford.

johnneycool

Why the three week gap?

SUNDAY, APRIL 19

Allianz Hurling League Division I Semi-Finals

Cork v Dublin, Nowlan Park, Kilkenny, 2pm (Live on TG4)

Tipperary v Waterford, Nowlan Park, Kilkenny, 4pm (Live on TG4)

Are there interpros squeezed in somewhere?

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 03:23:06 PM

I wouldn't have thought so. There was a lot of handpassing and short puckouts and the life, but teams usually lined out with the standard 3-3-2-3-3.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on March 30, 2015, 03:41:33 PM

I wouldn't have thought so. There was a lot of handpassing and short puckouts and the life, but teams usually lined out with the standard 3-3-2-3-3.

The night Waterford beat Cork in the Munster final, for the better half of the second half, Mullane and someone else were the only Waterford players inside their own half. IMO the retreating allowed Cork to get a foothold in that game they shouldn't really have been in as Waterford were the far better team.

Davy parked the bus that night.

deiseach

Well, that's not my memory of the game and a little bus-parking wouldn't have gone amiss the following year against Tipp.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on March 30, 2015, 05:09:01 PM
Well, that's not my memory of the game and a little bus-parking wouldn't have gone amiss the following year against Tipp.
Or just parking the bus at the right place...

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 31, 2015, 11:36:08 AM
Or just parking the Brick at the right place...

Fixed that for you.

gallsman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 04:34:58 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 30, 2015, 03:41:33 PM

The night Waterford beat Cork in the Munster final, for the better half of the second half, Mullane and someone else were the only Waterford players inside their own half. IMO the retreating allowed Cork to get a foothold in that game they shouldn't really have been in as Waterford were the far better team.

Davy parked the bus that night.

Presumably Flynn as he wouldn't have been able to jog back as far as the halfway line without gassing.

deiseach

Paul Flynn was never the most svelte of sportsmen, but in fairness I think he would have made it back to the halfway line in the two years since he had last played in Thurles...

Canalman

Quote from: deiseach on April 01, 2015, 12:27:06 PM
Paul Flynn was never the most svelte of sportsmen, but in fairness I think he would have made it back to the halfway line in the two years since he had last played in Thurles...

Flynn over his career from what I remember anyway was well able to beat any so called nippy corner and wing backs for pace on a regular basis.

Great hurler.

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on April 01, 2015, 12:27:06 PM

Sorry, I was thinking of 07, which now that I think about it was a semifinal and under Justin. Was a bit confused as that match was an utter barrage of forward play.