The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2013, 04:49:13 AM
There is one sport I can't stand the sight of. UFC. Nothing but a glorified street brawl with hugging on the floor. Give me Queensberry rules any day.

Agreed. UFC is not a sport in my view. I'd put that in with BMX jumping, roller skating, skateboarding etc - not sports.

Billys Boots

Are all contests of physical endeavour not sports?  Where do you draw the line?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 08, 2013, 09:43:51 AM

You can't. Doesn't stop people trying though.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 09:40:38 AM
There is one sport I can't stand the sight of. UFC. Nothing but a glorified street brawl with hugging on the floor. Give me Queensberry rules any day.

Agreed. UFC is not a sport in my view. I'd put that in with BMX jumping, roller skating, skateboarding etc - not sports.
UFC is every bit a sport as boxing is. Definite set of rules which determin the outcome. I think the fact people find it hard to relate to is because its mixed martial arts..combination of all types of unarmed combat. The condition UFC fighters are in and the training they do is incredible IMO.

imtommygunn

I remember reading the rules of UFC and they were pretty much you can't gouge open wounds and you can't kick people in the nuts. That aside there weren't too many rules. There are rounds and an outcome was about the only other structure to it.

I've actually been to it but didn't enjoy it. I can see why people do but it seems to be a case of ground people and then pound into submission. Granted there is a fair amount of skill in the grounding aspect of it.

J OGorman

Quote from: ballinaman on November 08, 2013, 09:55:10 AM

UFC is every bit a sport as boxing is. Definite set of rules which determin the outcome. I think the fact people find it hard to relate to is because its mixed martial arts..combination of all types of unarmed combat. The condition UFC fighters are in and the training they do is incredible IMO.

UFC isn't much craic. a couple of punches then 2 mins of hugging til the ref ends the round. If there was a 10 sec hug rule, then fighters were split, would be more watchable. Would it be the fighting version of Nascar?

ballinaman

Quote from: J OGorman on November 08, 2013, 10:50:19 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 08, 2013, 09:55:10 AM

UFC isn't much craic. a couple of punches then 2 mins of hugging til the ref ends the round. If there was a 10 sec hug rule, then fighters were split, would be more watchable. Would it be the fighting version of Nascar?
I'm not a UFC fanboy at all just to be clear but the skill in some of the submissions and kicks are quality IMO. I'm not sure the 10 second split rule would make it that more enjoyable, it's like a game of chess sometimes with the ground stuff, makes a change from just going toe to toe...also any sport that has a lad like this guy is good craic to watch...Roy Nelson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amP40qyy2K4

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 09:51:21 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 08, 2013, 09:43:51 AM

You can't. Doesn't stop people trying though.

Is shagging a sport?

Jeepers Creepers

Irish Dancing? Rules, dont fall over.  Don't know if it is a sport but keep it in anyway please. Awful.

deiseach

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on November 08, 2013, 01:04:25 PM
Irish Dancing? Rules, dont fall over.  Don't know if it is a sport but keep it in anyway please. Awful.

That was . . . random.

magpie seanie

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 12:56:07 PM
Is shagging a sport?

No. There are no rules.

I think there are. Unwritten and vary from match to match but they exist I think.

There has to be a line somewhere. For me it's well before "beating the crap out of someone" or MMA as many people call it.

deiseach

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 01:08:30 PM
Is shagging a sport?

No. There are no rules.

I think there are. Unwritten and vary from match to match but they exist I think.

There has to be a line somewhere. For me it's well before "beating the crap out of someone" or MMA as many people call it.

You're entitled to your own opinion on what constitutes a sport. Doesn't mean you are right though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 08, 2013, 01:08:30 PM
Is shagging a sport?

No. There are no rules.

It's called the perineum.