The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 10:45:48 AM

What's your point with the John Daly Picture??

He is a top Golfer, no idea who the soccer dude is as I wouldn't watch a soccer match at gunpoint.

Rossfan

Love proper ( Gaelic) Football, like hurling.
Hate Rugby Union, Golf, horse racing.  American "football" has to be the worst thing the Yanks ever inflicted on the human race after hiroshima/Nagasaki.
Can't watch Soccer for more than 5 minutes. Rugby League and Aus rules is ok for a short while.
No interests in most other sports.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ballinaman

Quote from: Canalman on November 07, 2013, 11:01:40 AM
Rugby is on ok game but has an unbelievable hold in the Irish media WAY beyond its actual popularity in Ireland.The spoofology in rugby is something else.
Agreed. This really grinded my gears as Mr. Griffin would say.

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2013, 11:14:38 AMAmerican "football" has to be the worst thing the Yanks ever inflicted on the human race after hiroshima/Nagasaki.

You're forgetting Garth Brooks.

I think it's great to see people letting all this stuff out. I don't know why we never thought of it before. We shouldn't bottle these things up.

Hardy

Having said that, how can people hate tennis? What's wrong with tennis?

rosnarun

Quote from: ballinaman on November 07, 2013, 11:20:46 AM
Rugby is on ok game but has an unbelievable hold in the Irish media WAY beyond its actual popularity in Ireland.The spoofology in rugby is something else.

its this sort of thing that give me my only intrest in rugby . watching the IRFU and their patron saint BoD Lose ,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

deiseach

Quote from: rosnarun on November 07, 2013, 11:30:14 AM
Its this sort of thing that give me my only intrest in rugby . watching the IRFU and their patron saint BoD Lose ,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Irish rugby is the best kind of each-way bet. Win - yay, Ireland won! Lose - yay, D4 dicks lost!

screenexile

I don't see what the problem is with Rugby... the reason for the Media hype is because it's probably the only world sport that we are relatively competitive in. What's wrong with celebrating that?

The dislike of the Irish Rugby team is more good old fashioned begrudgery than anything else. Plenty here are happy to call them all dicks but what is that based on?!

Hardy

Eamonnca1 - it'd be fun if you stuck a poll up at the top there. I'd say there must be twenty-plus sports mentioned so far you could list, plus you could have a catch-all "Other" option. Of course, you'd have to facilitate voting for more than one sport. It would probably save a lot of people a lot of time if you had an "All" tick-box as well. 

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 11:35:49 AM
Its this sort of thing that give me my only intrest in rugby . watching the IRFU and their patron saint BoD Lose ,

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Irish rugby is the best kind of each-way bet. Win - yay, Ireland won! Lose - yay, D4 dicks lost!

Is there a sport with less competitive games ie in an actual competition. They hardly have to qualify for the World cup and play friendlies in Autumn and Summer.

J OGorman

Quote from: ballinaman on November 07, 2013, 11:20:46 AM

its this sort of thing that give me my only intrest in rugby . watching the IRFU and their patron saint BoD Lose ,

you like seeing ireland lose in the aul rugger? bit strange that surely

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 11:42:06 AM
I don't see what the problem is with Rugby... the reason for the Media hype is because it's probably the only world sport that we are relatively competitive in. What's wrong with celebrating that?

The dislike of the Irish Rugby team is more good old fashioned begrudgery than anything else. Plenty here are happy to call them all dicks but what is that based on?!

deiseach

Cos they're dicks. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with disliking a team because of the characteristics, however caricatured, of its supporters, as long as you don't too hot and heavy about it. There's an irrational core to supporting any team, what Jerry Seinfeld called 'rooting for the clothes'.

J OGorman

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 11:47:26 AM

Cos they're dicks. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with disliking a team because of the characteristics, however caricatured, of its supporters, as long as you don't too hot and heavy about it. There's an irrational core to supporting any team, what Jerry Seinfeld called 'rooting for the clothes'.

dislike yer countries team cause a few of them are dicks? 90% of professional soccer players?, now they're grade A dicks. At least the rugger buggers behave like grown men on the pitch

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on November 07, 2013, 11:42:45 AM
Is there a sport with less competitive games ie in an actual competition. They hardly have to qualify for the World cup and play friendlies in Autumn and Summer.

That's why the Six Nations is what excites me about rugby. Each game has a history (except the Italy games, but they're getting there) and it is reasonably competitive - these days four of the teams start out with hopes of victory and I can remember when the number was five.