The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: ballinaman on November 07, 2013, 09:05:23 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 09:01:34 AM
Horse racing.
Just talking about that this morning watching Sky Sports News. I think we should start a petition to get it removed from early in the morning on SSN. Do they not realise that their target audience would generally still be in bed until noon at the earliest.

If you put a tenner on each one of Alex Hammond's tips, how much money would you have lost? I'm not going to entertain the possibility that you might be ahead.

gallsman

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2013, 12:54:47 AM
American sports.....designed arse about face

Short plays to meet tv advertisers demands....cant take "entertainment" products like these seriously. Just vehicles to sell product dressed up as a sport.

This hits the nail on the head. I really love the actual sporting, physical element of American football, basketball and baseball. Can't stand hockey though.

I was at a Lakers-Clippers game about a year and a half ago. The play at times was sensational - There were four starting All-Stars, Kobe was on fire and Blake Griffin had two dunks that ended up in the end of year top ten.

However, I absolutely detested the entire experience. Firing t-shirts into the crowd, "hype" men on the floor, the DJ. Good f**king God the DJ. It was a nationally televised game too, so the breaks were longer and more frequent. This plagues all American sport and makes it bad enough to watch on TV at times, never mind being there in the arenas for the guff they fill the downtime with.

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 09:54:38 AM
Don't understand people not getting Golf. If you've ever played it you will know just how difficult it is to play well. The Tyder Cup was probably one of the greatest sporting comebacks of all time and the last 2 days was pure theatre.

Watching Golf has probably given me more sporting drama edge of the seat moments than any other sport I'm interested in.
It's a wonderful sport both to play and watch. The thing Golf has that most other sports don't is a respect for the rules and keeping within those rules to such an extent that players will even call fouls on themselves.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: rrhf on November 07, 2013, 04:19:58 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
I don't understand how anybody can dislike cricket but at the same time claim to enjoy darts. Do people actually enjoy watching ithers play darts or is it all about the atmosphere and the pints?

I'm not a huge fan of cricket but I don't actively dislike it and can appreciate the levels of skill involved. Try naming another sport where at any one time, an individual as to outwit and outplay 11 opponents.

You don't watch kabadi then. FFs even formula one works.

I am unfortunately unfamiliar with Kabadia. Formula 1 doesn't work - Nigel Mansell driving a Red Bull would beat Vettel driving a Marussia. In cricket it's just the batter's natural talent.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 09:54:38 AM
Don't understand people not getting Golf. If you've ever played it you will know just how difficult it is to play well. The Ryder Cup was probably one of the greatest sporting comebacks of all time and the last 2 days was pure theatre.

The Ryder Cup's not really sport though, is it? It's a novelty exhibition match that some players (Poulter) take much more seriously than others.

The last one really pissed me off as nobody would f**k up about "Seve was smiling down on us" and "that had to be for Seve" etc. Let the man rest in peace. Another f**king generation of Tim Tebows.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2013, 10:23:02 AM
The last one really pissed me off as nobody would f**k up about "Seve was smiling down on us" and "that had to be for Seve" etc. Let the man rest in peace. Another f**king generation of Tim Tebows.

There's a lot of that knocking around. I winced every time someone associated with the Red Sox invoked the spirit of the victims of the Boston bombing in their winning of the World Series. I really hate that kind of talk. Are they saying that if the bomber had struck St Louis it would have made the difference for the Cardinals?

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 10:28:56 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 07, 2013, 10:23:02 AM

There's a lot of that knocking around. I winced every time someone associated with the Red Sox invoked the spirit of the victims of the Boston bombing in their winning of the World Series. I really hate that kind of talk. Are they saying that if the bomber had struck St Louis it would have made the difference for the Cardinals?

Agreed - although the Red Sox had a particular link in that David Ortiz (World Series MVP) made a bit of a rallying call at the Sox home opener which was a few days after the bombing.

Bingo

Take any sport, any sport - stand back from it and each sport is as ridiculous as the other. Lots involve balls, hard balls and balls of air, and a place where to put these balls - in nets, between posts, over a line, in a hole etc. The other factor in most of sports is getting from A to B faster than anyone else. The rules that are applied are crazy at times.

But that doesn't take anything away from any of them. Each to their own and all that. They serve our competitive nature and at the end of the day they are meant to entertain. Like video games, films, TV shows, music, sex etc etc. All serve to entertain and all to different tastes. Alot of them off the wall as well.

Hate is a very strong word and I'd wonder why anyone would be so annoyed by a form of entertainment that they'd really genuinely hate it. Ignore it by all means but why the hate.

For the record - I choose to ignore Rugby League out of the main sports that would be on the telly. Most other sports that don't interest me I'd have to go out of my game to ignore them.

Orior

On Hector and Nolan last night an Orangeman said that Marching is their equivalent to GAA sports.

I still like Orange Marches.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on November 07, 2013, 10:32:50 AM
Hate is a very strong word and I'd wonder why anyone would be so annoyed by a form of entertainment that they'd really genuinely hate it. Ignore it by all means but why the hate.

Hate is not too strong a word for what I would feel back in the 80's when RTÉ would cut away from a soccer match (usually involving Liverpool) to one of what seemed like a thousand 'Group 1' races in England that they were showing on the BBC anyway. Yep, hate works for me.

AQMP

Quote from: Orior on November 07, 2013, 10:37:22 AM
On Hector and Nolan last night an Orangeman said that Marching is their equivalent to GAA sports.

Is there an OMPA to represent the interests of ordinary Orange Marchers (who, let's face it, bring the crowds in) and negotiate the supply of polo shirts from the Grand Lodge??  I believe the Orange Order loves a draw in a big march.

screenexile

Quote from: Cold tea on November 07, 2013, 10:05:17 AM
Golf requires a lot of skill and practice, so too does dentistry, brick laying, brain surgery, chess, the list is endless - because the participants are outdoors on a green area doesn't make it a sport.

What's your point with the John Daly Picture??

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on November 07, 2013, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: Orior on November 07, 2013, 10:37:22 AM

Is there an OMPA to represent the interests of ordinary Orange Marchers (who, let's face it, bring the crowds in) and negotiate the supply of polo shirts from the Grand Lodge??  I believe the Orange Order loves a draw in a big march.

I've come around to the idea of comparing the Orange Order with the GAA. If they think the OO is the other side of this particular coin, their whole 'culture' is rotten rotten rotten.

Canalman

Despise Horse Racing as a so called "Sport".

Can see merit in most sports but imo the unwatchable / boring sports on TV are Tennis, Squash and handball (Irish version).

Rugby is on ok game but has an unbelievable hold in the Irish media WAY beyond its actual popularity in Ireland.The spoofology in rugby is something else.