The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
I don't understand how anybody can dislike cricket but at the same time claim to enjoy darts. Do people actually enjoy watching ithers play darts or is it all about the atmosphere and the pints?

I'm not a huge fan of cricket but I don't actively dislike it and can appreciate the levels of skill involved. Try naming another sport where at any one time, an individual as to outwit and outplay 11 opponents.

Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2013, 10:19:29 PM
Whats wrong with bowls? I don't mind a bit of bowls.

Just used to hate bowls as it took up a disproportionate amount of time on Grandstand and I never enjoyed it. Definitely has a younger demographic than many people would think though.

Quote from: CD on November 06, 2013, 10:04:35 PM
Tennis. I hate tennis. Spoilt, rich brats grunting at each other. I hate tennis.

Could swap that for any professional sport really!

Gaelic football at times in the past decade!!

Captain Obvious

rrhf

I don't understand how anybody can dislike cricket but at the same time claim to enjoy darts. Do people actually enjoy watching ithers play darts or is it all about the atmosphere and the pints?

I'm not a huge fan of cricket but I don't actively dislike it and can appreciate the levels of skill involved. Try naming another sport where at any one time, an individual as to outwit and outplay 11 opponents.

You don't watch kabadi then. FFs even formula one works.

haveaharp

Quote from: BennyCake on November 06, 2013, 10:19:29 PM
Whats wrong with bowls? I don't mind a bit of bowls.

Just used to hate bowls as it took up a disproportionate amount of time on Grandstand and I never enjoyed it. Definitely has a younger demographic than many people would think though.

Quote from: CD on November 06, 2013, 10:04:35 PM
Tennis. I hate tennis. Spoilt, rich brats grunting at each other. I hate tennis.

Could swap that for any professional sport really!

Ask Peter Canavan or Ciaran McDonald

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: theticklemister on November 06, 2013, 11:45:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 06, 2013, 11:32:04 PM
How can anyone dislike a sport that's brought us McEnroe, Becker, Federer, Agassi, Nadal and Djokovic?? It's an awesome sport.

Tennis reminds me of Mayo. They are both only good in two weeks in June.
Hilarious, as usual

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

I don't like rugby, never 'got it' and strongly suspect that there's nothing to 'get'.

I don't like American football or basketball - I do like baseball.  I like cricket too.

I don't like motorsports.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ballinaman

Quote from: theticklemister on November 06, 2013, 11:45:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 06, 2013, 11:32:04 PM
How can anyone dislike a sport that's brought us McEnroe, Becker, Federer, Agassi, Nadal and Djokovic?? It's an awesome sport.

Tennis reminds me of Mayo. They are both only good in two weeks in June.
Ah come on now...we're decent in late August/early September too....

I'd watch any sport personally and admire the different sets of skills required. Found the few weeks after the Olympics very tough for example.

What I do dislike would be the clientele associated with certain sports....show jumping....auld lads with diamond pattern sleeveless jumpers playing Golf ect....gobshites basically.

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 09:01:34 AM
Horse racing.
Just talking about that this morning watching Sky Sports News. I think we should start a petition to get it removed from early in the morning on SSN. Do they not realise that their target audience would generally still be in bed until noon at the earliest.

Cold tea

Quote from: gallsman on November 06, 2013, 09:47:32 PM
Rugby League, live golf - can only watch highlights, bowls, darts and most horsey sports.

Surprised by all the hated for tennis. Great sport.

Darts, golf and snooker - these should not be mentioned on a thread about sport.

Cold tea

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 06, 2013, 06:50:37 PM
Soccer. More than any sport on God's green earth. Soccer. I'm convinced that people will one day suddenly wake up to just how SHITE it is in absolutely every possible way. I agree that it's a bit much for people to talk about all the sports they "hate". There are plenty of sports that I'd have no interest in (american football, tennis etc) and others that I properly dislike for reasons like haveaharp describes (cricket/curling etc), but my lack of interest in them prohibits me from getting excited enough to properly "hate" them. But but I really do HATE soccer and all the incessant shitetalk that surrounds it.

+1 - fair play to the media though for selling this dung to the masses and have people roaring about our team who are based in Manchester, Liverpool etc.

screenexile

Don't understand people not getting Golf. If you've ever played it you will know just how difficult it is to play well. The Tyder Cup was probably one of the greatest sporting comebacks of all time and the last 2 days was pure theatre.

I don't hate any sport, not a fan of Baseball as I've sat through many a Jays game and been close to falling asleep. 162 games in a season?? That's just mental!

The only sport I wouldn't watch is probably bowls, curling, dressage, showjumping. Other than that I'll pretty much watch anything if it's on and I certainly wouldn't be slagging anyone for being at the top of their sport, to be at the top of anything is a great achievement!

J OGorman

a good game of rugby union is hard to beat.

There's an indian game of 'tig' that used to be on Channel 4 back in the day, was fairly crap in fairness

+ any 'sport' were ye need to be loaded to take part. Oh, and American Football, what a load of nonsense, would watch cricket all day over it

Scynchronized swimming has been mentioned. Worked with a girl in London years back who was a synchronized swimmer for GB, what an incredible rear end, I'm all for it

Cold tea

Golf requires a lot of skill and practice, so too does dentistry, brick laying, brain surgery, chess, the list is endless - because the participants are outdoors on a green area doesn't make it a sport.