Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alco Pup

Thanks for all the advice guys!

He knows who the boss is, but he is half lurcher! Ever seen a lurcher race a car up a country lane, the fecker is fast!

I had a pen for him in the cattle sheds which he would go into during the day and at night, but he's been turfed out as its needed for a cow which has just calved.

He's happy enough dandering about the farm himself, and he doesn't follow anyone else.  ::)

Am probably just going to have to make a new pen for him until I get to a dog training course.
He's a smart skitter (worked out how to open the latch on gate), so he should pick things up fairly quickly.  :)

Main Street

I take it that you have a smart Collie?
It's no big deal for a Collie to open a door/gate, the trick is to get them to close it after them.

Alco Pup

Nah, he isn't a collie.  He is a rescue dog, a cross between a Jack Russell and a lurcher.... seriously! How the feck did that ever happen??!

??? ??? ???

Main Street

Okay, I kinda presumed that a Lurcher was a Collie mixed with a speed merchant.

Hardy

Alco Pup

Main Street - truthfully have no idea! You could be absolutely right, have no idea what the lurcher mix was.  Some wee man stopped me in the park with him one day asking 20 questions.  He trains gun dogs and was very interested (either that or as nosy as hell).  He thought there might have been husky or lab in him.

Hardy - that is one hell of a device!  I wonder if it could be also used to stop any mates that try to leave the pub before closing time....

delboy

Quote from: Hardy on July 15, 2010, 11:33:52 AM
Dog Boundary

Seen those in action, two fericous german sherperds came steaming at me they weren't long in pulling up when it came to the end of there driveway where the device was, still scary though especially as at the time i didn't know it was there.

Hardy

The brother has one above in the home place (not necessarily that model - I just googled for an example). It works 100%. In practice, the dog only has to learn the boundary and the collar can be removed, though it's a good idea to put it on once in a while as a reminder.

oakleafgael

Quote from: ziggysego on July 14, 2010, 02:07:52 PM
LaoisLad is right. Takes a bit of training. Smack the dog on the nose each time s/he leaves your home. After a bit of time, depending how smart your dog is, s/he soon learn not to leave.

Anybody who resorts to that type of behavior shouldnt be allowed to have a dog.

delboy

Quote from: Hardy on July 15, 2010, 12:29:05 PM
The brother has one above in the home place (not necessarily that model - I just googled for an example). It works 100%. In practice, the dog only has to learn the boundary and the collar can be removed, though it's a good idea to put it on once in a while as a reminder.

Im glad to say that these two boyos had the collar device attached at the time.

Mike Tyson

Had a black lab pup now for just over 2 years and his coat has started to turn brown. I know the owners of the mother and he's definitely pedigree. It happened this time last year too and goes back to black in the winter, but still has a tinge of brown in it. I'm thinking it might just be the summer coat coming through. Anyone know if that's what it is or any ideas on what could be causing this?

attheraces

Quote from: Mike Tyson on June 09, 2011, 04:52:32 PM
Had a black lab pup now for just over 2 years and his coat has started to turn brown. I know the owners of the mother and he's definitely pedigree. It happened this time last year too and goes back to black in the winter, but still has a tinge of brown in it. I'm thinking it might just be the summer coat coming through. Anyone know if that's what it is or any ideas on what could be causing this?

It's when a dog spends a lot of time in direct sunlight, the coat effectively starts to bleach. Once he sheds that hair it will come back his natural colour (black) and will stay black in winter because of the lack of sunlight. Nothing to worry about, perhaps keep him out of direct sunlight during the day to reduce/stop it.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Milltown Row2

Or paint it black every summer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

Quote from: Alco Pup on July 14, 2010, 09:36:29 AM
Am thinking about getting some proper dog training classes, there's someone in Tandragee called Keith Mathews - has anyone heard of him or went to him before?
Just seen this now - did you ever go to Keith to get your Dog trained? I left my dog with him for 3 weeks and couldn't believe what he done with him. This was years ago before he started wearing that stupid red shirt but he definitely has a gift with dogs.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight