Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Yeah – myself and the girlfriend got a beagle back in August – he's 4 and a half months old now. We've had no real problems with him at all – bar the usual puppy problems i.e chewing furniture, electrical cords etc.. We did take him to puppy school for a good few weeks as well.

He hasn't started howling too much yet. He has howled but that's because he's playing with other dogs. He's an excellent dog though – doesn't need a great deal of exercise – and when you do go out for walks he sniffs everything – although that's kind of expected.

Here's Smeagol

Main Street

That's an impressive looking ear flap.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 19, 2012, 04:08:22 PM
Yeah – myself and the girlfriend got a beagle back in August – he's 4 and a half months old now. We've had no real problems with him at all – bar the usual puppy problems i.e chewing furniture, electrical cords etc.. We did take him to puppy school for a good few weeks as well.

He hasn't started howling too much yet. He has howled but that's because he's playing with other dogs. He's an excellent dog though – doesn't need a great deal of exercise – and when you do go out for walks he sniffs everything – although that's kind of expected.

Here's Smeagol

Is he pedigree? how much would you expect to pay for a pup? i can tell you there will be no chewing furniture or cables coz he will be outside

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Puckoon

I think you'll do well to keep a beagle outside - unless you have a well prepared run for it. They are very energetic - and known for their love of exploring (see "taking off"). Maybe I've just been around some very spoiled ones, but if it wants to be near you and you have the poor thing outside - you'll hear some noise.

Gabriel_Hurl

We, sorry I paid $400 for him. We still had to pay for all his shots and stuff after that – which was about another $500.
He's a pure bred alright. We went to meet his parents and everything before we decided on which of the puppies we wanted.

We have ours inside because we live in a condo building - but he gets a good 90 minutes to two hours walk every day.

The Iceman

a beagle is a hunting dog, are you going to use him to hunt? or whats the purpose of having him outside or at all?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Onion Bag

An outside family pet, not going to use him to hunt

was thinking because they are primarily a working dog they would be obedient

The Iceman

I bred and kept Harrier Hounds for the best part of my life. The beagle is in the same family and is a good dog but they are made to hunt.
If you want an obedient dog I would be looking at other breeds. No dog will be obedient unless you train it and some dogs are made to be trained more than others, Beagles would not top that list I think. They are made to run forever and need exercise. They are also naturally loud and howl.
If you want a small obedient dog go for a terrier or terrier mix or female boxer.
If you want an obedient medium sized dog go for a boxer or female Rotty or dobe.
If you want a larger obedient breed go for a shepherd, rotty or dobe....

but I'll stress again they will only be as obedient as much as you are at training them....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Do people who keep their dogs indoors teach them to use toilet paper?

armaghniac

QuoteDo people who keep their dogs indoors teach them to use toilet paper?

That's a crap joke.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gabriel_Hurl

Serious answer - he does have a pee pad that he goes on during the day when we aren't at home. Sure there's the odd accident here and there - but he's still a puppy.

Her'es what we use - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13193272&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInCA%2FNo

With regards to his #2's he's good at not doing it in the house.

Thank god for wooden floors.

Main Street

I think our puppy/young dog has a second bladder for the overspill.
In the morning time when she's let out, she'll do a full pee, followed 2 or 3 minute later by a second full pee.

Onion Bag

Quote from: The Iceman on November 19, 2012, 05:28:31 PM
I bred and kept Harrier Hounds for the best part of my life. The beagle is in the same family and is a good dog but they are made to hunt.
If you want an obedient dog I would be looking at other breeds. No dog will be obedient unless you train it and some dogs are made to be trained more than others, Beagles would not top that list I think. They are made to run forever and need exercise. They are also naturally loud and howl.
If you want a small obedient dog go for a terrier or terrier mix or female boxer.
If you want an obedient medium sized dog go for a boxer or female Rotty or dobe.
If you want a larger obedient breed go for a shepherd, rotty or dobe....

but I'll stress again they will only be as obedient as much as you are at training them....

you serious iceman? im looking for a dog for the child, wouldnt feel comfortable at all with one of these running round the house

The Iceman

if any dog is brought into a family as a pup and trained right you will have no bother but any right trained dog will have no bother accepting a new baby into the pack

tyssam5

Quote from: The Iceman on November 19, 2012, 10:24:46 PM
if any dog is brought into a family as a pup and trained right you will have no bother but any right trained dog will have no bother accepting a new baby into the pack

My mate has a right big dog and two small kids, the only thing you have to watch out for the amount of abuse the kids will give the poor dog, they torture it!