Tyrone vs Armagh - 3rd June 7pm - Healy Park, Omagh.

Started by samuel maguire, May 31, 2023, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on June 04, 2023, 09:23:54 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on June 04, 2023, 09:04:10 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 04, 2023, 07:04:17 PM
Given the nature of a lot of the debate, I rarely feel motivated to post on the GAA side of this forum anymore. However, once in a while, there is a post that makes me break the rule.

Great post Edward. Agree with an awful lot of what is said therein and in particular the piece I have quoted below, which absolutely nails my own thoughts.

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 04, 2023, 10:54:37 AM
Finally, any chat about the management is futile at this stage of the year. Sure they could probably be doing some things better, and I'm certain there will be a thorough evaluation of the situation at the end of the season. But I'd caution those in Armagh baying for replacement to be careful what you wish for...

The current group of players didn't just land into McGeeney's lap - over many, many years he has crafted a team that has now reached a level where they are consistently competitive with the best in the country (nowhere near a given for a county like Armagh). In the absence of any sort of conveyor belt of underage talent over the last decade, resources have had to maximised and intercounty players have had to be moulded from what was available. There are men putting in good shifts for Armagh at the top level who probably wouldn't be near intercounty football under any other management - it's from these efforts that the county has its modest amount of squad depth. When the current management team does depart, which may be soon enough, it will very likely precipitate the retirement of up to half a dozen playing stalwarts. Armagh will then enter a rebuilding phase, and with little to shout about recently at underage, school, or club level, it looks not at all unlikely that the only way for the county will be down (or, Down - like in languishing in Div 3 and going nowhere fast). Anyone that thinks Armagh hit the next level just by landing Oisin McConville, or Tony McEntee, or Malachy O'Rourke in on top of the current playing group isn't living in the real world.

That is so on the money. Respect.

Surely the whole point of a very well paid manager is that he changes the entire set up and not just deal with the senior player? He has had 9 years to help the set up and his most successful year was getting to a quarter final without winning anything.

His persistent hard man attitude is reflected on the team and has gotten them no where. Keep him for another 9 years I say lol

I'm not sure how a manager can have a hard man attitude! But some people will use anything to have a go at McGeeney. If I was a Tyrone fan I'd be more concerned as to why so many players don't want to play for them.

Ah now deflect all you want. You can't say there isn't an issue with armagh and their hard men attitude. Of course the manager has a massive impact on it, he can stamp it out anytime he likes. Like I said happy for it to continue as use have won hardly anything in the last 20 years and that will continue under current managment.

restorepride

Quote from: tyroneman on June 04, 2023, 10:54:43 AM
Another curates egg game from Tyrone. There was little between the teams in first half other than Armagh's shooting was off and Tyrone's eye was in (and with some great points taken as well).

Obviously sticking very rigidly to a game plan it was a case of methodically grinding out the scores, added to some good defensive work. Nothing spectacular. Keep efficient in the heat and do your job.

Sending off didn't really help that much. Imho, RoN, who is as talented a player as there is in Ireland, has had that red card coming a long time. He's at those snide fouls any game I've seen him play recently and been lucky enough to get away with them. Today he got caught and the ref had enough balls to send him off. Sin é. Hopefully someone will have a word as he has repeat All Star ability.

BBC quote Mc Geeney as saying:

"I didn't see it but Rian feels he was pulled down by the jersey on top. Iwill see it first, but if what he says is true we will definitely support him,". Getting a leg pulled does not justify putting knees on head. It will tell a lot if McGeeney sees the footage and still defends him (or not).

Would have preferred the shot off the post to have gone in instead just beforehand, as from that point on Tyrone went into game management mode rather than press on and put Armagh to the sword and boy did it nearly cost dear at the end. They seem incapable of utilising an extra man to any advantage.

Terrible decision making throughout, especially in second half where there were men making great runs through on goal but the ball carriers failed to pass and took much more difficult (and selfish) shots themselves.

And by the by, anyone from Armagh talking about Peter Harte taking extra steps should watch RoN take a free - steals at least 5-10 every time. Took a 20m free and only kicked it at the edge of the big square at one point.  And yes, I'm aware 99% of free takers do it to an extent...just that his extent is double anyone else's.
Many remain unconvinced about that first statement - second part in true.

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2023, 12:41:53 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 31, 2023, 12:31:39 PM
Based on what? Beating Antrim, Cavan and Westmeath?

No delusion like Armagh fans delusion.

I'd say its probably more based on the fact that Tyrone have won one championship match in the last 2 seasons against Fermanagh while Armagh are unbeaten in 8 championship games. That said I think it will be very tight and I wouldn't like to call it.

Unbeaten in ZERO games now. Armagh get a small dose of reality. They are not a top team. They are not Div 1. They are not good enough to win an Ulster title never mind an All Ireland. They have a negative boring system that allows them to not get stuffed. If they went 15 v 15 they be on the end of some bad beating. McGenney has perfected the  "lets only lose by a few points" system.
Rian O'Neill for all his talent gets involved in far to much off the ball stuff. His red card had been coming.
Tyrone let Armagh back into it. Again Morgan with more confidence than ability almost gifted them the game. But it's a win. Onwards.

Armagh back in there f**king box for another while, until they beat the next Division 3 team and the county loses the run of itself again lol!!

The Coddfather

It wasn't to long ago Armagh fans were comparing Conor Turbitt to David Clifford...

Delusion at its finest.

onefaircounty

Quote from: The Coddfather on June 05, 2023, 09:14:50 AM
It wasn't to long ago Armagh fans were comparing Conor Turbitt to David Clifford...

Delusion at its finest.

Quit talking shite.

onefaircounty

lurganblue

Disappointing evening up in Omagh and as an Armagh fan you could see how the game was going early on. You have to take your chances and we didnt.  I agree, that red has been coming for Rian.  Maybe a few reds would do him no harm.  A bit like Forker years ago.

Us Armagh fans like to say we've a great forward line and we just need to let them off the leash.  I'm not so sure about that and the last 3 games has done nothing to convince me. Great forward lines punish chances more often than not. Also, Tyrone seemed to be able to waltz in whenever they wanted in the 1st half and kick a point.  I wouldnt like to see us with larger gaps in the defence to fill as we've left forwards up the pitch.  Man markers we have not (not many counties do).

The Coddfather

Quote from: lurganblue on June 05, 2023, 09:54:26 AM
Disappointing evening up in Omagh and as an Armagh fan you could see how the game was going early on. You have to take your chances and we didnt.  I agree, that red has been coming for Rian.  Maybe a few reds would do him no harm.  A bit like Forker years ago.

Us Armagh fans like to say we've a great forward line and we just need to let them off the leash.  I'm not so sure about that and the last 3 games has done nothing to convince me. Great forward lines punish chances more often than not. Also, Tyrone seemed to be able to waltz in whenever they wanted in the 1st half and kick a point.  I wouldnt like to see us with larger gaps in the defence to fill as we've left forwards up the pitch.  Man markers we have not (not many counties do).

Excluding Rian O'Neill and Rory Grugan, who else makes this forward line great?

statto

Quote from: The Coddfather on June 05, 2023, 10:18:41 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on June 05, 2023, 09:54:26 AM

Excluding Rian O'Neill and Rory Grugan, who else makes this forward line great?

Murnin is a great target man would start in any team in ulster. 

Armamike

Quote from: onefaircounty on June 05, 2023, 09:27:02 AM
Quote from: The Coddfather on June 05, 2023, 09:14:50 AM

Delusion at its finest.

Quit talking shite.

That's a difficult ask for some on here.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Applesisapples

It's painful to say but this Armagh team peaked last year, I'm not sure whether it's the style of football or tactics on which it is based but they are a hard frustrating watch. I don't think the majority of fans believe they are world beaters but like supporters of many counties we want in the words of the Sawdoctors "to win just once" and nothing wrong with that. I'm don't think changing managers will improve the team immediately but 9 years is a long time.

tbrick18

Without reading all the comments since the game, tyrone were the better side, but just can't seem to pull away.
I just don't see where the hype about this Armagh side comes from.
Rian O'Neill was a definate red in my book. He could/should have been off in the Ulster final if he'd got a yellow every time he deserved one. He seems to concentrate on being a hard man rather than football and for all the spectacular scores/frees he grabs, he concedes so many frees it could mostly cancel out any positives. He's a liability at the minute that could do with a few games on the bench to put manners on.
For me, Grugan and Murnin are more reliable and better all round than RON.
Starting Campbell didnt have the same impact as he has had coming off the bench.
McGeeney saying execution is the issue, that's another way of saying the players are not good enough at finishing.

As for Tyrone, glimpses of what they were but not necessarily of where they are going.
They are still relying on the older players to pull them out and I'm not sure the new(er) personnel are of the same quality. Lots of mistakes.
Could have had a black in the lead up to the RON red.
Morgan can be brilliant or awful.
I feel if McCurry is kept out of a game and to a lesser extent Canavan, Tyrone won't get scores to trouble any of the main contenders.
But....they still play with the confidence of a top side which is why I think it can click some days against anyone. So it wouldn't surprise me too much if they knocked out some of the big hitters in the championship, but I don't think they have enough for an AI or indeed to be classed as in the top 5.

For me, top 5 still are Galway, Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Derry....in that order. However, no one time is miles ahead at the minute, but I just have that feeling that Galway are better than last year and so far Kerry/Dublin seem to have slipped back a little bit.

The Coddfather

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2023, 11:06:02 AM
Without reading all the comments since the game, tyrone were the better side, but just can't seem to pull away.
Rian O'Neill was a definate red in my book. He could/should have been off in the Ulster final if he'd got a yellow every time he deserved one. He seems to concentrate on being a hard man rather than football and for all the spectacular scores/frees he grabs, he concedes so many frees it could mostly cancel out any positives. He's a liability at the minute that could do with a few games on the bench to put manners on.
Starting Campbell didnt have the same impact as he has had coming off the bench.
McGeeney saying execution is the issue, that's another way of saying the players are not good enough at finishing.

As for Tyrone, glimpses of what they were but not necessarily of where they are going.
They are still relying on the older players to pull them out and I'm not sure the new(er) personnel are of the same quality. Lots of mistakes.
I feel if McCurry is kept out of a game and to a lesser extent Canavan, Tyrone won't get scores to trouble any of the main contenders.
But....they still play with the confidence of a top side which is why I think it can click some days against anyone. So it wouldn't surprise me too much if they knocked out some of the big hitters in the championship, but I don't think they have enough for an AI or indeed to be classed as in the top 5.

For me, top 5 still are Galway, Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Derry....in that order. However, no one time is miles ahead at the minute, but I just have that feeling that Galway are better than last year and so far Kerry/Dublin seem to have slipped back a little bit.

That top 5 is just silly. How can you justify putting Galway and Mayo above Kerry?

tbrick18

Quote from: The Coddfather on June 05, 2023, 11:10:12 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2023, 11:06:02 AM

That top 5 is just silly. How can you justify putting Galway and Mayo above Kerry?

Kerry have been stuttering and their result against Cork is underwhelming.

screenexile

You can justify Mayo being above Kerry by the fact they have beaten Kerry!

I would have Roscommon on that top 6 as well tbrick.