Sam Maguire Group 4 - Derry, Clare, Monaghan, Donegal

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Didn't expect us to get a result, but at least good to see a bit of pride and belief back in the team and you have to give O'Rourke credit there. Good to see Gallen finally get another chance to show what he can do after missing multiple campaigns since his debut through injury. We really need him to step up and be the focal point alongside McBrearty, especially with Brennan finding it so tough to make an impact. Defensive problems are still there, but that's not O'Rourke's fault. We've been vulnerable to runs through the centre for several seasons now and it will be up to whoever gets the job long term to sort it out and get us back on a par fitness and conditioning-wise. Hope they put in another decent showing against Monaghan and avoid the likes of Kerry in the PQF - don't need to end the season on a hiding!

Estimator

Good win for Derry.  Nice to see the other forwards stepping up again. The ref was fairly frustrating. Few v soft ones, majority went in favour of Donegal, with the exception of the one on Paul Cassidy. Its the consistancy that would annoy you.

Aside from McKinless and Doherty every player from 5-15 got on the score sheet. 10 different scorers. Also good to see more subs being brought on for a bit more game time. Downey and Cassidy were limited in the time they got. But at least they got on the pitch. Something that may not have happened previously.

With nothing to play for I'm hoping that Clare are on the beach in a couple of weeks, and Derry can put up a decent score. 
I'd expect Monaghan to target the centre of the Donegal defence the way that we did, but with Gallen's superb perfromance and McBrearty starting the next day, they could give Monaghan their fill of it too.

All 3 teams could top the group and all three teams could end up in 3rd place.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Quote from: J70 on June 05, 2023, 12:47:33 AM
Didn't expect us to get a result, but at least good to see a bit of pride and belief back in the team and you have to give O'Rourke credit there. Good to see Gallen finally get another chance to show what he can do after missing multiple campaigns since his debut through injury. We really need him to step up and be the focal point alongside McBrearty, especially with Brennan finding it so tough to make an impact. Defensive problems are still there, but that's not O'Rourke's fault. We've been vulnerable to runs through the centre for several seasons now and it will be up to whoever gets the job long term to sort it out and get us back on a par fitness and conditioning-wise. Hope they put in another decent showing against Monaghan and avoid the likes of Kerry in the PQF - don't need to end the season on a hiding!

Do you think O'Rourke and Bradley will def not be re-appointed? Things seem to have improved under them so far and Donegal were much better than I expected yesterday.
Get McBrearty fit and with Gallen up top and a full panel to pick from next season, they'll trouble most teams.

J70

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 05, 2023, 11:12:43 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 05, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Do you think O'Rourke and Bradley will def not be re-appointed? Things seem to have improved under them so far and Donegal were much better than I expected yesterday.
Get McBrearty fit and with Gallen up top and a full panel to pick from next season, they'll trouble most teams.

I think if they can get a good tune out of the group in these (presumably :p) upcoming two games, they could be in with a good shout. I'm not there in the county though, so can't speak to what the general feeling is. Supposedly this independent review should be done at this point, so who knows what the fallout, if any, will be from that.

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on June 05, 2023, 09:47:28 AM
Good win for Derry.  Nice to see the other forwards stepping up again. The ref was fairly frustrating. Few v soft ones, majority went in favour of Donegal, with the exception of the one on Paul Cassidy. Its the consistancy that would annoy you.

Aside from McKinless and Doherty every player from 5-15 got on the score sheet. 10 different scorers. Also good to see more subs being brought on for a bit more game time. Downey and Cassidy were limited in the time they got. But at least they got on the pitch. Something that may not have happened previously.

With nothing to play for I'm hoping that Clare are on the beach in a couple of weeks, and Derry can put up a decent score. 
I'd expect Monaghan to target the centre of the Donegal defence the way that we did, but with Gallen's superb perfromance and McBrearty starting the next day, they could give Monaghan their fill of it too.

All 3 teams could top the group and all three teams could end up in 3rd place.

Yeah if we can rack up a big score against Clare and Donegal bring the fight to Monaghan, that should see us finish top.
Still probably leaves us with a very difficult QF, but at least it would be one game less.

Real Talk

Monaghan will devour Donegal  with a lot goals which means they will top the group on scoring difference .... hope i'm wrong

restorepride

Quote from: Real Talk on June 06, 2023, 11:10:24 PM
Monaghan will devour Donegal  with a lot goals which means they will top the group on scoring difference .... hope i'm wrong
Doubt it that Monaghan will devour Donegal. Claire scored 19 times against them. Donegal will fancy their chances.

Wildweasel74

Derry I think will put Clare to the sword in no uncertain manner even though our record in Longford fairly poor. Monaghan / Donegal are always tight games, Donegal be pushing hard to finish 2nd. Can't see the scoring difference been greater than the Clare game. They were poles apart when they met in the league.

Main Street

I think Monaghan can beat this Donegal team but there won't be much in it, Derry probably will win the points race. However when listening to the nr 1 GAA podcast, The GAA Social, this monday,  Thomas let it slip during an review of the state of Derry, when he exclaimed that Monaghan beat Derry.  Of course he was mistaken but still the perception was that considering the game, and the result gained away from home,  - Monaghan were the victors even though it was a draw.
So, in an event that both teams top the group on points, Monaghan should be the nr.1.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Main Street on June 07, 2023, 10:59:39 PM
I think Monaghan can beat this Donegal team but there won't be much in it, Derry probably will win the points race. However when listening to the nr 1 GAA podcast, The GAA Social, this monday,  Thomas let it slip during an review of the state of Derry, when he exclaimed that Monaghan beat Derry.  Of course he was mistaken but still the perception was that considering the game, and the result gained away from home,  - Monaghan were the victors even though it was a draw.
So, in an event that oth teams top the group on points, Monaghan should be the nr.1.

What?

93-DY-SAM

So, in an event that both teams top the group on points, Monaghan should be the nr.1.

Jesus lad you are clutching at straws there.

tbrick18

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 08, 2023, 07:36:06 AM

Jesus lad you are clutching at straws there.

Starting to sound like some Armagh posters who claim they didn't lose the Ulster Final.

tbrick18

Derry v Clare
Monaghan v Donegal

I'd expect Derry and Monaghan to both win, so score difference will dictate who tops the group.
On the face of it, Derry have the easier game but would need to win by a massive margin to guarantee anything. Remains to be seen if we can do that and as a long suffering Derry fan I always wait for us to implode. Some bad memories of games in Longford previously where we should have won.

Donegal could well put it up to Monaghan based on how they played against Derry. Could Donegal win? I think if they play out of their skins and Monaghan are not 100% they could.

Wildweasel74

Sooner we know the better still waiting to buy a Iron Maiden Ticket for Sat week if we don't have the extra game. Can organise nothing these days.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 14, 2023, 10:30:22 AM
Derry v Clare
Monaghan v Donegal

I'd expect Derry and Monaghan to both win, so score difference will dictate who tops the group.
On the face of it, Derry have the easier game but would need to win by a massive margin to guarantee anything. Remains to be seen if we can do that and as a long suffering Derry fan I always wait for us to implode. Some bad memories of games in Longford previously where we should have won.

Donegal could well put it up to Monaghan based on how they played against Derry. Could Donegal win? I think if they play out of their skins and Monaghan are not 100% they could.
Will McBrearty be playing for Donegal? If so that changes the calculations
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU