Tailteann Cup 2023

Started by Laoiseabu, May 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Very lucky to scrape a draw, I think that makes us officially the worse senior football team in Ireland
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Helix.

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 03, 2023, 04:43:20 PM
Very lucky to scrape a draw, I think that makes us officially the worse senior football team in Ireland

Should be absolutely embarrassed with themselves. Blame management all you like players have to step up. They're the ones playing. Not good enough.

Tier2

Strangely worse than a loss as we get at least 1 more game under this manager.

Officially the lowest point

Serious questions to asked of the county board why this has been let go on for 2 chronic year's.

BallyroanAbu

When I said this was a dreadful appointment at the County Board Meeting two years ago I was told Billy was a proud Laois Man and to shut up.  I also told Peter O Neill he was ruining my enjoyment of football.  Nobody batted an eyelid at this appointment, it's a disgrace.  Easy say the players but at U20 they are performing reasonably well without being world beaters.  Today's performance was bottom of the barrell so I think management is solely to blame. 

Joeythelips

Quote from: Helix. on June 03, 2023, 05:07:22 PM

Should be absolutely embarrassed with themselves. Blame management all you like players have to step up. They're the ones playing. Not good enough.

Look at any sport where a decent manager comes in and gets the best out a group of players, I get its the players who cross he line and compete but good management teams get the best out of the players at their disposal. No offence to the current management set up but they are clearly not good enough. Im sorry if people take offence to that but the results clearly bare it out.

Giovanni

I'd say we're still better than Waterford but give him a little more time.....

Blow-in

It's a shambles on and off the field and don't let anyone tell you any different. A good mirror needed.

Laoiseabu

I know Sheehan is useless but the bigger picture here is that even when he leaves we are STILL going absolutely nowhere anytime soon . The problems in Laois football run MUCH deeper than just Billy Sheehan. That SHITESHOW up in Parnell park today is only the tip of the iceberg and let me tell you we will get even worse again . Lillis , Finn and Timmons might possibly hang it up after this year , apparently Greene and Pigott won't be committing next year and from what I've seen OCarroll is after getting very heavy and sluggish. I try to be less harsh but not beating London is the absolute bottom of the barrel . I just can't see ANY positives that make me think that there is light at the end of the tunnel in the near future .

BallyroanAbu

I would say it here Laois would get to a tailteann cup semi under a half decent manager.  There are problems in Laois Football but this is a joke.  A bad one

Countyminor

It's quite remarkable that we've had four games in this competition and we've yet to win a single one.

Best to just cut the bandage off now and give Billy the boot. He's grossly out of his depth and completely and utterly clueless. I was actually optimistic for his appointment last year and after watching our good O'Byrne Cup run in early 2022 but giving him a second year on the back of a dismal relegation and a shitshow of a championship was an incredibly lazy decision to say the least. Watching this continue into this year is just painful and sad to watch. The apathy this football has generated among supporters is a rotten contagion.

If the CB had any sense they'd be looking for someone to step in immediately and prepare the lads for the next game.  The hopeless optimist in me would want to see Sugrue return or even someone like Eddie Kinsella from Courtwood who'd have worked with a lot of the lads at U20 to come in, although I highly doubt they'd be interested and I imagine regardless what happens Sheehan will lead us into the next game.

Maybe it's for the better. I highly doubt we'd win next time out anyways.

SpeculativeEffort

Everything in Laois GAA is run by people who only line up everything for their own clubs to prosper. Small minded, passive, reactive rubbish. The county board do their business behind closed doors. The media are not allowed in and the county doesn't even publish an agreed report. Unprofessional and no transparency. WHAT ARE THEY AFRAID OF? The media are mere cheerleaders. They refuse to call out the bullshit or are afraid to.

CLEAN OUT THE WHOLE LOT

It should have happened when Eddie Brennan shone a light on the county board.

Have we any pride?

The Boy Wonder

Yes, we're at a very low ebb at the moment but let's hold fire until this campaign is over just out of respect for the players. Lads like Mark Timmons and Kiernan Lillis deserve at least that.
After this Tailteann Cup we do need a new manager to come in and try to lift us off the floor. If we get the next appointment right (and the best possible resources provided) we just might see some light at the end of this tunnel.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Just saw this on the hurling forum and it makes a lot of sense. This is really worrying for the future of GAA in Laois.

Quote from: Batman!!! on June 03, 2023, 07:32:41 PM
Now let's imagine your a business person and Laois GAA approach you for the 20k. Think about it and look at the people who would be asking you.

Chairperson - PJ Kelly, I can't think of one positive thing he has done in his role as Chairperson. No leadership or personality. Look across the border and see the influence Michael Duignan has had.

Hurling GDA - Declan Buggy, I don't know anything about him so I can't comment. I've heard some positive things from his previous job.

Football GDA - Donie Brennan, less said the better (represents alot of what's wrong with Laois GAA)

Head of S&C - Tom Hargroves, ran out of Tipp for running a very poor, laughable program with their senior hurlers. Their conditioning this year is chalk and cheese with last years. Just look at our senior footballers and how far they look off the pace from the middle of the road teams this year.

If 3 out of 4 of these people approached me I'd run a mile. No inspiration or initiative between them. Until we remove the deadwood and get passionate, progressive people involved we are wasting our time. We need to make Laois GAA a fashionable product and look at it as a business people want to investinandbe part of. If as it is in its current state is the best we can do, I certainly wouldn't be investing.

I'm just fed up of the whole thing and being bottom of the barrel. We will realistically never win an all ireland but we can be competitive and give people something to support and that kids want to be part of but right now, no chance. We are facilitating GAA not promoting it. Disillusioned with the whole thing.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Blow-in

Any Games Manager appointed yet or anyone know the candidates?

High Fielder

This is about as bad as it gets, and yes, they will get rid of Billy. I'm of the opinion that we could put a cardboard box on the line and we should still be beating London; but we didn't, so draw your own conclusions on that one.

I have sympathy for Billy. This County means a lot to him. He was eager and he genuinely wanted the job. There are plenty in Laois and elsewhere who swerved it because they know how bad things are, and were eager to keep their own, overly inflated reputations intact. Truth be told, Sugrue aside, there is nobody in the County remotely good enough to be even asked in my opinion. Some will disagree and good luck to them, but without going into specifics about individuals, I felt one who is lauded on here got badly found out in the last few years when he arguably had one of our better teams at his disposal.