Salthill stadium for rugby?

Started by manfromdelmonte, January 02, 2015, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

I see on the paper this morning Pat Lam the Connacht rugby coach is calling for a 20,000 capacity rugby stadium in the west, to be built as part of the rugby 2023 bid.
If he hasn't noticed already, there is a 30,000 capacity stadium sitting unused most of the year across the city.
Not only that, but Pearse Stadium has a big debt on it that the county board are struggling to clear (the Connolly's made good money out of it), due to the county board foolishly purchasing a big tract of land (at boom prices) out near Athenry to develop a hurling training centre.

Surely it would make sense to let rugby into Pearse Stadium? I mean, its played mainly during the winter when there isn't much GAA action on.
And Galway city is hardly a bastion of GAA activity anyway.
The GAA could use some of the rental money and hire some extrta full and part time coaching staff and promote the GAA in and around the city a bit better.

Rossfan

Sell that fcukin inaccessible wind tunnel to the rubby shower and develop Tuam for football and Athenry or wherever for hurling.
At least then an away game in Galway will take 6 hours less of our time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on January 02, 2015, 11:29:36 AM
Sell that fcukin inaccessible wind tunnel to the rubby shower and develop Tuam for football and Athenry or wherever for hurling.
At least then an away game in Galway will take 6 hours less of our time.

Now there's a great idea! It's a muck venue!

GalwayBayBoy

I have a season ticket for Connacht and to be honest they wouldn't have a need for a 20,000 capacity ground. I think they already have plans to put another tier on the Clan Terrace if they need to extend capacity at the Sportsground. Hard to beat it location wise anyway. A 5 minute walk from Eyre Square.