The mayo complex

Started by rrhf, December 31, 2014, 11:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Are they still going on about the Munster venue for this game?

Aaron Boone

Good teams like Mayo do win it eventually. It's just a matter of time.

With all the celebrations, I wouldn't bet on them to retain it the next year.

moysider

What stands between this Mayo team and an AI (including not having won it by now), is a tactically astute manager. Huge pressure now on the new management.

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on January 01, 2015, 02:36:56 PM
What stands between this Mayo team and an AI (including not having won it by now), is a tactically astute manager. Huge pressure now on the new management.

Few players wouldn't go amiss too

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 01, 2015, 12:58:30 PM

AIs are won on inches. Especially the break through year.

Captain Obvious

In fairness the Mayo team James Horan took over compared to the team he left is chalk and cheese. Who knows the new manager(s) might have taken over a side that has already peaked?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 01, 2015, 03:00:33 PM
In fairness the Mayo team James Horan took over compared to the team he left is chalk and cheese. Who knows the new manager(s) might have taken over a side that has already peaked?

They peaked in 2013!

Champion The Wonder Horse

It's just a pity from the Mayo point of view that they don't get more big championship games against Tyrone. The Mayo complex doesn't seem to be a massive issue against the men from the bushes.

ONeill

There's no doubt about that - Tyrone would never have won the 3 AIs if they'd met Mayo along the way....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on January 01, 2015, 02:42:45 PM

Few players wouldn't go amiss too

Agree. And if there was a transfer window in place I can think of a few positions could be strengthened. However the players that were there could (probably should) have won one already. There were glaring sideline malfunctions in 3 major games in 3 successive years; Donegal 2012, Dublin 2013 and Kerry I 2014.

As regards the 'peaking' others have mentioned, I dunno. The team is still young enough to further evolve and get better. New blood is a must and that is something that should have been addressed more last year and was arguably our undoing down the stretch in Limerick. Too many forwards in the panel were unusable and had been for months.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: ONeill on January 01, 2015, 10:08:11 PM
There's no doubt about that - Tyrone would never have won the 3 AIs if they'd met Mayo along the way....

Tyrone would have won in 2004 had they not met Mayo and quite possibly 1989 and 2013 as well.

They did beat Mayo in 2008, by the way, but with a 25% success rate in the championship, there are probably more appropriate thread starters.

Syferus

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 02, 2015, 02:13:13 PM

Tyrone would have won in 2004 had they not met Mayo and quite possibly 1989 and 2013 as well.

They did beat Mayo in 2008, by the way, but with a 25% success rate in the championship, there are probably more appropriate thread starters.

Tyrone hadn't a snowball's chance in 2013. Dublin and Mayo were so far ahead of everyone else it wasn't even funny, it was a joke.

Tyrone gave Mayo a match for a half, that was all that semi was. That said, it was about 10 minutes more of a game than anyone else had given them.

ONeill

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on January 02, 2015, 02:13:13 PM

Again, there's no doubt about that. Tyrone would have won all those All Irelands if they'd managed to avoid Mayo. And yes, they wouldn't have won those All Irelands had they met Mayo.

Thread maybe whooshed over yer head perhaps?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 01, 2015, 02:48:44 PM

In that case, your crowd would run out of measuring tape!

moysider

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on January 02, 2015, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 01, 2015, 02:48:44 PM

In that case, your crowd would run out of measuring tape!

Why the need to be such a **** after seeing your county winning all those AIs?