All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

A pity about Gary Walsh. I doubt he would have been substituted if it hadn't been for the sending off.

Is Evan O Carroll going to the Donegal club in New York by any chance?

Tony

Not sure why players show up all year for training only to go to the states after losing a non - embarrassing, decent performance match to the all-ireland champions. Why show up at all if you're going to do that? Anyway, must get on with it now.

Giovanni

They're going because clubs in New York are offering players in region of 10-20 grand to play football (depending on the profile in the game) plus a job for the summer plus flights plus accommodation in NY looked after.

I find it outrageous that the GAA are able to turn a blind eye to professionalism in one small part of their association, particularly when it is being practiced to the detriment of county boards in Ireland who are investing big money into their team preparations. When Seanie Johnson went to Kildare there was (rightly) uproar. But there's not a squeak about counties like ours losing players every summer.

I'm not a big fan of rule changes in the GAA but I do think that international transfers should only be allowed after the end of the All-Ireland series in Ireland if a member of a county panel is involved.

joemamas

Quote from: Giovanni on June 09, 2016, 03:34:30 PM
They're going because clubs in New York are offering players in region of 10-20 grand to play football (depending on the profile in the game) plus a job for the summer plus flights plus accommodation in NY looked after.

I find it outrageous that the GAA are able to turn a blind eye to professionalism in one small part of their association, particularly when it is being practiced to the detriment of county boards in Ireland who are investing big money into their team preparations. When Seanie Johnson went to Kildare there was (rightly) uproar. But there's not a squeak about counties like ours losing players every summer.

I'm not a big fan of rule changes in the GAA but I do think that international transfers should only be allowed after the end of the All-Ireland series in Ireland if a member of a county panel is involved.

The amount of players that are offered 10k could be counted on one hand. (it is still wrong). There are only five senior clubs in New York Championship.
So it is the money alone that is drawing these guys to the U.S.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Gary Walsh has always been a bit temperamental. I'm sure he was frustrated being substituted.
Pity he's left, he can be excellent on his day.
OCarroll is a huge loss .. again was taken off early but he could be a massive player.
Would really develop in the qualifier if we got a run going ..
Can see how lads heads are turned to spend a summer in the states but either
they shouldnt commit for the year if they know they are gonna go over there or
the gaa should bring in a rule you have to be finished in the qualifiers before you can transfer

High Fielder

GAA can bring in what rules they like but they have created this mess. They don't give a shite about counties like Laois, and we've seen that over the last couple of weeks. Give these lads something meaningful to play for and they might show more interest. Laois or the GAA don't own these lads, so good luck to them. At the end of the day, they probably play more practice games than competitive matches, so what's to stick around for?

Tony

Have to agree with you on that one Huey, we don't own them at all and maybe the prospect of playing in the states with money coming in is too much of an opportunity to reject. I just wish they could do both - play for Laois till season's end and then have something to look forward to after. Joe Brolly talks a lot of nonsense but he's onto something when he says that we don't treat our players properly - they are the most important part of the GAA.

Joeythelips

Hard to blame anyone for heading abroad for some travel and easy money, but like Tony says, why do they bother joining up with the panel at all? the GAA should make rules that players can only do a foreign transfer once every 3 years or so. At least that way they are committing to it one way or another and everyone knows where they stand. Although its an amateur organisation the money going through it needs to looking after players better, players are the worse treated considering how much they give. Why not give money to winners of competitions, league and championship, dont know what figures would be realistic but you would need a league structure so teams lower down can win their section and get a few bob. Something is wrong if the prospect of a few thousand quid in New York is more attractive than playing for your county. When you see the hundreds of thousands counties spend on teams each year its hard to think we cannot come up with a better system.

armaghniac

If you had a rake of money, it would be great craic to pay the New York players to come to Ireland at the time of their championship, see if they like it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Tweet from Gary Walsh:

Gary Walsh ‏@PsychoWalsh  ยท 2h2 hours ago 

I have not left the Laos panel I was dropped , Thanks for all the messages & best of luck to the players vs Armagh

Gary Walsh 'gutted' after Laois axing
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0609/794471-gary-walsh-slams-laois/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

For sure, you can't blame the players for taking advantage of these opportunities. I am aware of 5 players (all from the western half of the country) offered big money to play in New York this summer (all by the same team). Add to that wages, flights and  all the rest an it's easy to see how it is so attractive, particularly for players from counties like Laois or Armagh.

Instead of continually mucking around with the rules of the game, it might serve them better to stop that carry on.

Dave like the tv channel

GOOD: They go on the panel because of the honour.
BAD: They go on the panel because it raises their own profile and makes them more marketable.

GOOD: They head to the States because their county season is over and they're at a loose end.
BAD: They go because they're getting loads of cash, regardless of where the county is.

GOOD: When they go it raises the international profile of the game, as better players are being seen abroad.
BAD: The GAA don't give a flying f*** about Laois and the rules are changed, so their coffers are lined, while smaller counties suffer.

joemamas

Quote from: Giovanni on June 10, 2016, 12:08:48 PM
For sure, you can't blame the players for taking advantage of these opportunities. I am aware of 5 players (all from the western half of the country) offered big money to play in New York this summer (all by the same team). Add to that wages, flights and  all the rest an it's easy to see how it is so attractive, particularly for players from counties like Laois or Armagh.

Instead of continually mucking around with the rules of the game, it might serve them better to stop that carry on.

OK, I know you are new to the board, but when you make a point like that just name the county in Ireland and team in NY.

BTW, welcome

angermanagement

Where does all the big clubs in New York get the money from to pay the players? are all the clubs doing it? Have they all rich business men signing the cheques.

Giovanni

I don't think it's right to name names when I'm an anonymous user myself.

The high profile players and their counties will be easily identifiable from the team sheets of the NY clubs.

The source of the money is local businessmen (some of whom put huge amounts into it). However, not all clubs have the same access to that kind of money so I don't think everyone is all that happy in NY either.