LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

I said I'd start a new thread since the league is fast approaching and some of us have seen how they have faired in the O'Byrne cup.
there is players to come back.Who?I'm not sure

31.01.2016 (Sun) O'Moore Park, Portlaoise 14:00 Laois v Gaillimh
06.02.2016 (Sat) Athletic Grounds, Armagh 19:00 Ard Mhacha v Laois
27.02.2016 (Sat) O'Moore Park, Portlaoise 14:00 Laois v Tír Eoghain
06.03.2016 (Sun) Brewster Park, Enniskillen 14:00 Fear Manach v Laois
13.03.2016 (Sun)O'Moore Park, Portlaoise 14:00 Laois v Doire
27.03.2016 (Sun) [Easter Sunday] Kingspan Breffni Park, Cavan 14:00 An Cabhán v Laois
03.04.2016 (Sun) O'Moore Park, Portlaoise 14:00 Laois v An Mhí

LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

Quick sum up of the O'Byrne cup performances from what I seen over the three games and then a low down on the way the squad is shaping up for the coming year!
.I don't mean to be critical of any player in anyway I know the commitment these guys have given and I'm grateful as I love my county in both codes and go to every corner of Ireland to follow them!

Brody:Great young keeper with a big future no worries on this front but needs more competition to keep him on his toes.Kicks outs were superb in all three games.

Cotter:Not a corner back in a million years(in my opinion) fouls too much in that position learning at this level as he goes along and a welcome addition to the squad.Big strong lad who will learn quickly.

Collins:Same as Cotter altough more natural when it comes to defending good speed will only get better.

Timmons:Solid and reliable in what I seen of him so far has a great understanding with Brody as well which is important.

Seale:Impressed with him against Meath will push for a corner back spot and why not on his club form this year.

A.Farrell:One of the plus points of the three matches I was impressed very composed and good footballing brain(one to watch)

Strong:Not really suited to center back(could say the same about half back) too loose but in Saying that his distribution from the center was a joy to watch also adds a bit of power to the position maybe he can mold himself into a Brian Cullen???

Dillion:Lillis might be on to something here converting him to a half back as he isn't clinical enough in the forwards he has great pace and lets the ball go early which is pleasing he does however need to improve his tackling like so many on the Laois squad both forwards and backs!

Connolly:Looked a little bit at Sea against U.C.D and didn't get much more game time after that but can improve and has the pedigree going on his form for the Heath this year.

J.Farrell:Another option for midfield under performed against Meath but was decent in the other two games.

Meaney:We all know what you get from Kevin .A joy to have him back should start in the middle in my opinion.

O'Loughlin:Not match fit yet after coming back late and that was obivious showed moments of class and we know come the league he will be one of the big players.Must cut out this latest habit of back chatting to ref's

O'Reilly:Was poor against Carlow in the middle but overall did himself no harm athletic young man with bags of abilty and not afraid to mix it.

N.Murphy:Has not shone like I thought he would but give him time to adjust the 3 games will certainly bring him on.

Kingston:Quality pure quality would get on any county team in the land his passing from the center forward role is a thing of beauty.Also chipped in with a lot of scores.

Scully:Again like Murphy didn't set the world alight but is a hard working forward who can tackle which we don't have many of should improve going forward confident young man who can make an impact I feel.

Costello:I believe this guy has the quality to really make an impact on this team so mcuh intelligence and while things didn't always come off for him Especially against Carlow he doesn't stop trying them makes great runs off the ball.

Cahillane:Wow great to have him back in the blue and white him and Donie have struck up a great relationship already glad to see he has got over his disappointment for his club and is back showing us his skilll for the county.

S.Murphy didn't really see enough to comment on the chap but has loads to offer going on his club form in 2015.

Lillis:Same as above but great to have him back in the set up a physical presence who can cover a range of positions in the back line has experience and know how and won't lack commitment to the squad.

Walsh:Great also to see him back showed against Carlow why he should make our forward line in 2016 he was well marshaled by Keogan in Meath but who isn't .Real powerhouse and he can kick a point.

Damien O'Connor:Was particularly poor against Meath when he came on and has yet to shine but looks hungry I still think he is a better back than forward even though the new management think different.

Ruairi O'Connor:Closest thing to a Donie Brennan I've seen in a while and that's a compliment seems to have bags of skill and can kick a point certainly one to keep an eye on.

Mcdonald:Sub goalie only got few minutes against Carlow but looked assured.

Don't think I'm missing anyone that got game time I know Sean Moore was in but never featured.

Mick Lillis says there is six to come back.

Munnelly and Begley back this week.

Lads playing with their colleges are Eoin Kehoe,Paul Kingston,Stephen Attride,Eoin Lowry,Tom shield,Will Young,Ciaran Booth,Evan O'Carroll

But I don't know how many of them are included in the set up

Donoher is injured and Quigley is on an extended break after getting married recently.

Two lads who have said they can't commit are

Connor Boyle as his job in Dublin means he can't make the commitment which is a pity as he was decent last year added know how to the forward line and was an out ball for the backs other than Donie.

James Finn also it seems can't get the time to commit as he is in Dublin another pity as I think it could have been a big year for him after being such a physical stand out in the senior championship when I seen him this year.

Ones i'm not sure of or if the door is closed are
Robbie Kehoe?
Conor Meridith
Mj Tierney Still only 28
Craig Rodgers??
Stephen O'Leary
David Conway
Eoin Culleton
Niall Mullins
Matthew Campion?abroad?

Lads not available but could still offer a lot

Healy-Hurling
Smith-working in England(pity as he was a stand out this year for Portlaoise)
Peter O'Leary-retired
Pauric McMahon-retired
Paul Begley(retired)
John Dunphy(retired)

Sorry to be bringing up players not available for selection but it just goes to show the wealth of talent that is still kicking football in Laois despite all the doom and gloom.

Mick Lillis still has a good bunch of players to work with and with a few more to come on board it should bolster the squad up nicely.

I hope like other counties do he keeps the door open all year cause there is some talent there that might prove useful yet.

I for one am looking forward to the league campaign!

LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

Didn't manage to get to any of these games so it's great to get the feedback Unlaoised.

Good to see some of the younger lads making a good impression. If Tierney's still only 28, it would certainly be good to see him back - always thought he just needed a little more time and patience. Class player on his day.

SCFC

What happened Gearoid Hanrahan? Thought he had a bit about him last year.

goal 10

Great feedback, UnLaoised             Really looking forward to the start of the league
Big game on the 31 Jan     To beat galway would be a great start 

Keyser Söze

Tierney AFAIK is 30 or 31 in 2016
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Unlaoised

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 12, 2016, 07:26:37 PM
Tierney AFAIK is 30 or 31 in 2016

Even at 30 he'd have loads to offer if he really wanted it
LAOIS ABÚ

Pablo Escobar

John Dunphy is sub goalie for Arles/Kileen..... Hardly retired he must be 25?

Ballygowen

MJ Teirney is 29. probably 30 sometime this year.

OTF

Great  report Unlaoised, panel look's stronger than the last few years.
Very tough division 2 this year if we can stay up it will be some result.

Tierney,Healy,Timmons,Begley and Quigley all 30 this year ( last heat u21 in 07 )

High Fielder

Numbers does not mean strength. There's a lack of quality and we will struggle to stay up.

Unlaoised

Never said good numbers does mean strength but there is enough quality to work with there to stay in this division in my opinion!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Thanks for that Unlaoised, great bit of reading and keeps lads updated on what's happening with the panel.
I don't really agree on the comment about lack of quality on the squad, most of those guys would be welcomed on any football panel in the country.
The league will tell us a lot more about the strength of the squad and even though its a tough division I think we are well equipped to stay up.

By the way, MJ was born in 1986 according to Wikipedia..
QuotePersonal information

Irish name
Micheál Seán Ó Tiarnaigh

Sport
Gaelic Football

Position
Corner Forward

Born
County Laois, Ireland

Height
1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)

Nickname
MJ
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

the only way mj would stand 5ft 10 would be in 4 inch high heel shoes....shows the unreliability of that wiki lark

Unlaoised

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 14, 2016, 02:01:28 AM
the only way mj would stand 5ft 10 would be in 4 inch high heel shoes....shows the unreliability of that wiki lark

I always think that when I read programme 's etc if they ain't tall they are 5-10(even though they could be anything from 5-5 to 5-10) If they are average IE(from 5-9 to 5-11)they put themselves in as 6-0.

You can nearly always take off 2-3 inches apart from the bigger lads like quigley and Clancy who are 6-4/6-5

Back to the thread as it stands...

I hear training is going better than it was at the start and the players seem to have a real bond with one another there is a lot of close friends on this panel if that will prove to be a good thing in the long run I don't know!
LAOIS ABÚ