Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: dublin7 on February 04, 2021, 09:36:01 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on pretty much everything you said there. If the IRA didn't carry out the Omagh bombing who did? I thought it was the RIRA. Does that not count as the IRA?

Serious question you didn't answer. Do you believe Gerry Adams was never in the IRA? That's his story and he has to stick to it at this stage, but is there anyone who actually believes him?
Omagh was the work of dissidents carried out after the GFA. The facts remain that the IRA in all its guises including the old IRA were involved in activities aimed at the over throw of the British state. If one was wrong then both were wrong to say otherwise is being hypercritical. Both effected change. However the rights and wrongs in both situations is much more complicated than the simple choice of right or wrong. You could argue that the actions of the old IRA directly led to the situation we are in today, their actions manifested in partition. But as I say that is a simplistic view, the reality much more complex.

trailer

trailer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56033300

All SF's good work of registering all those postal voters could be undone. No wonder they're critical.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on February 12, 2021, 11:30:48 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56033300

All SF's good work of registering all those postal voters could be undone. No wonder they're critical.

It's not just postal votes, its all votes and probably a good thing TBH.

APM

I'd say the timing of this is frustrating for SF.  If you think about it, the protocol will mean the unionist population will be motivated to register.  Moreover, unionist movements, will be very motivated to run registration drives.  They will see the target of a unionist majority at the next assembly election to be able to vote down the protocol in 2024.  I'm not sure nationalists / others will be just as motivated as there will be some level of complacency and possible apathy also. 

marty34

Quote from: APM on February 12, 2021, 03:02:24 PM
I'd say the timing of this is frustrating for SF.  If you think about it, the protocol will mean the unionist population will be motivated to register.  Moreover, unionist movements, will be very motivated to run registration drives.  They will see the target of a unionist majority at the next assembly election to be able to vote down the protocol in 2024.  I'm not sure nationalists / others will be just as motivated as there will be some level of complacency and possible apathy also.

Don't tell trailer that #hiddenagenda

Rossfan

Does overturning the Protocol not require Nationalist and Unionist consent?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on February 12, 2021, 03:13:04 PM

No hidden agenda. We all know what SF have been up to in this regard.

restorepride

Unionist movements?  Are you talking about the UDA or UVF or LVF or exUDR, exRUC or what? 

Angelo

Quote from: trailer on February 12, 2021, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: marty34 on February 12, 2021, 03:13:04 PM

No hidden agenda. We all know what SF have been up to in this regard.

Yeah, your agenda is not hidden at all. It's very transparent.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

general_lee

Following on from your assertion, you'd have to imagine some sort of a (minor) split within Unionism, or am I just being ambitious? TUV will be hoping to make hay - a lot of discontent from loyalists. The protocol isn't going anywhere and the more Jim Allister reminds the DUP and the electorate, the more votes they haemorrhage to TUV and even UUP & Alliance.

marty34

Quote from: general_lee on February 13, 2021, 09:21:10 AM
Following on from your assertion, you'd have to imagine some sort of a (minor) split within Unionism, or am I just being ambitious? TUV will be hoping to make hay - a lot of discontent from loyalists. The protocol isn't going anywhere and the more Jim Allister reminds the DUP and the electorate, the more votes they haemorrhage to TUV and even UUP & Alliance.

Seems to be that once the DUP saw the recent poll that the TUV were on 10 %, then they came up with their 5 point plan to try and get people back on side and get everyone to row in behind them.

The problem Allister has is that he's a one man band - probably the best/effective MLA at Stormont but the party seems limited in terms of anybody else coming forward.  Alisster would need to get a few more candiates in front of the camera before next year.  Alternative is will any DUP lads jump ship to the TUV if they think their seat is in trouble.

I think the DUP will use their 'don't let SF be the first minister' in our great year of 2021, so vote DUP.  How ironic would that be?

general_lee

Quote from: marty34 on February 13, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: general_lee on February 13, 2021, 09:21:10 AM

Seems to be that once the DUP saw the recent poll that the TUV were on 10 %, then they came up with their 5 point plan to try and get people back on side and get everyone to row in behind them.

The problem Allister has is that he's a one man band - probably the best/effective MLA at Stormont but the party seems limited in terms of anybody else coming forward.  Alisster would need to get a few more candiates in front of the camera before next year.  Alternative is will any DUP lads jump ship to the TUV if they think their seat is in trouble.

I think the DUP will use their 'don't let SF be the first minister' in our great year of 2021, so vote DUP.  How ironic would that be?
I know, TUV haven't a lot going for them personnel-wise but then would that really be much of a hindrance? Considering loyalists happily vote for whatever mug the DUP put in front of them. Might have a few DUPers jump ship, maybe it's just me but TUV seem to have really jumped on the protocol bandwagon and seem to have a more active social media presence.

I imagine you're right re  playing the SF first minister card, inevitable call for unionist unity and entering pacts, UUP will predictably acquiesce.

Angelo

The TUV would draw their voting base more from a Presbyterian background I'd imagine so if they do take off it could really eat into the DUP vote. Would be very interesting to see a fractured unionist vote.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL