Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: deiseach on April 16, 2015, 02:31:49 PM
Speaking of striking a blow to the British establishment, would any of ye have memories of being told how to deal with agents of said establishment, such as peelers? Flick the bird at them at every opportunity? Don't ever give them a reason to claim that they thought you were going for a gun?

As an authority on the history of the 'troubles' I thought you would be able to regale us with your experiences?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 16, 2015, 12:46:35 PM
The infrastructural problems of nationalist areas like West Belfast, Newry, Strabane etc are a hangover from the old one party state. Thanks in the main to John Hume Derry was thrown a few sops. Nationalist's have found it hard to shift the old mores within an NI civil service that keeps pushing funding in the same direction. It will take time. unfortunately many nationalist areas have a benefits culture where scamming the state is fair game, this needs to be tackled as well. With benefits up to £26K available it will take time and welfare reform. Generations in nationalist areas have lost the tradition of work as a means to earn a crust. Nationalist political parties seem afraid to tackle this old elephant as it sits in the corner of the room.
Have you not been paying attention? Welfare reform would have capped benefits at £26k, but SF and the SDLP opposed this reform. So it's not "up to £26k", for some it's a good bit more.

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 16, 2015, 07:22:05 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 16, 2015, 12:46:35 PM
The infrastructural problems of nationalist areas like West Belfast, Newry, Strabane etc are a hangover from the old one party state. Thanks in the main to John Hume Derry was thrown a few sops. Nationalist's have found it hard to shift the old mores within an NI civil service that keeps pushing funding in the same direction. It will take time. unfortunately many nationalist areas have a benefits culture where scamming the state is fair game, this needs to be tackled as well. With benefits up to £26K available it will take time and welfare reform. Generations in nationalist areas have lost the tradition of work as a means to earn a crust. Nationalist political parties seem afraid to tackle this old elephant as it sits in the corner of the room.
Have you not been paying attention? Welfare reform would have capped benefits at £26k, but SF and the SDLP opposed this reform. So it's not "up to £26k", for some it's a good bit more.

& the cap at £26k does not include DLA
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

naka

Chatting to a few shinners in newry
They are somewhat surprised at the positive response that Justin mc nutty has been getting
They can't see him winning but they feel that it's the first time in a while that the public have started asking real questions.
Tbf it can only be a good thing for all concerned.

DuffleKing

The new shinner candidate isn't getting a great airing outside newry / s armagh - not known at all and not making a great impression

naka

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 16, 2015, 09:03:01 PM

The new shinner candidate isn't getting a great airing outside newry / s armagh - not known at all and not making a great impression
Mickey has a good reputation in newry for working with the people, I will say though that sdlp saying they will help labour getting into power is a plus .

Minder

Quote from: naka on April 16, 2015, 09:25:43 PM

Mickey has a good reputation in newry for working with the people, I will say though that sdlp saying they will help labour getting into power is a plus .

I heard that he got hunted from the picket line at a dole office in Newry during the public service strike on 13 March.

naka

Think the shinners in government at stormont causes them issues on their anti cuts stance
They can't be poacher and game keeper

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on April 16, 2015, 09:46:36 PM

I heard that he got hunted from the picket line at a dole office in Newry during the public service strike on 13 March.
They have some brass neck to go anywhere near a picket line!

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 16, 2015, 10:15:16 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 16, 2015, 09:46:36 PM

They have some brass neck to go anywhere near a picket line!

I actually didn't think they would.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: naka on April 16, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Chatting to a few shinners in newry
They are somewhat surprised at the positive response that Justin mc nutty has been getting
They can't see him winning but they feel that it's the first time in a while that the public have started asking real questions.
Tbf it can only be a good thing for all concerned.
McNulty has a profile befores he starts which gives him a head-start. I think he'll do well.

FranciePat

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
I live in the West Belfast constituency and traditionally I vote SF but by fcuk they have no chance of getting my vote this time around.

I call bullsh1t on that one buddy. Do you expect anybody to believe you traditionally voted SF until "this time around"? Going from being a traditional sinn fein voter to saying things like the below, is quite a transformation in the space of one election:

Dont see much Shinners falling victim to austerity between Stormont or community jobs

Plus, Gerry Adams was a sh.ite MP but I cringe every time I hear Paul Maskey speaking on the radio and on TV.

They are FF minus 50 years.

I have already heard the shinners starting to bash him and his character. Typical bullying fascists.

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 15, 2015, 05:52:50 PM
in true shinner style, would you rather play the man?

Quote from: ojonathanrossa on April 16, 2015, 09:35:50 AM
Facts are Facts and SF are s.hit!

ojonathanrossa

Wrongo. Traditionally is something that happened in the past due to tradition.  My father when he was alive voted SF as did I when I was younger until two elections ago.

There you go, you learn something new every day, Francie Pat.

Another attempt at playing the man and not the ball. 

LeoMc

In the UK General Election the winning post is traditionally 326 seats (1 more than half the 650) however with 5 SF abstentionism the winning post is effectively 323 seats.

If the Tories were to achieve 323/324 seats would SF take their seats to prevent them claiming an overall majority?

deiseach

Quote from: LeoMc on April 17, 2015, 08:33:23 AM
In the UK General Election the winning post is traditionally 326 seats (1 more than half the 650) however with 5 SF abstentionism the winning post is effectively 323 seats.

If the Tories were to achieve 323/324 seats would SF take their seats to prevent them claiming an overall majority?

The Tories would have no problem governing with 323/324 seats because they could rely on the support of the DUP. Now if they had 314/315 seats and the DUP could only bring them up the point where the Shinners could block the Queen's Speech . . . I think we all know the answer to what the Shinners would do which is what makes it all the more amusing to contemplate the scenario.