Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 07:26:20 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 07:19:56 PM
Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 07:12:28 PM
Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 07:02:49 PM
Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 06:22:45 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 05:41:45 PM
Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 02:40:05 PM
Quote from: dec on May 02, 2013, 02:34:15 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2013, 12:45:45 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 02, 2013, 11:36:56 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 01, 2013, 07:13:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 01, 2013, 07:06:20 PM
So no comment on the murders themselves but blustering outrage at the commentary on the murders.
Standard response there hardy. Don't look at the conflict as a whole, and the context of it. Just pick one victim that suits the agenda and start the whatabouteries, eh.

Ah well, I didn't really expect you t be able to justify such a skewed set of sympathies.
"Ah well". Another standard response.

"Another standard response". Another standard response.

Speaking of responses, I haven't heard back from you on:

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 01, 2013, 06:47:59 PM
Quote from: dec on May 01, 2013, 05:39:57 PM
According to Nally Stand "The dogs in the street know these loyalists were acting with security force collusion."
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=19293.msg962172#msg962172

And the dogs in the street also know that Adams and McGuinness were senior figures in the IRA.
Me saying that the dogs in the street knew about collusion is a bit different than a journalist at the state broadcaster on live tv making a direct accusation of involvement in the death of a named individual, wouldn't you say???

You said "The dogs in the street know these loyalists were acting with security force collusion" because it is well known that the security forces colluded with loyalist paramilitaries. Gerry Adams was asked about a murder committed by the IRA because it is well known that he was a senior figure in the IRA.

Not realy answering my question there are you. Me saying that the dogs in the street knew about collusion is a bit different than a journalist at the state broadcaster on live tv making a direct accusation of involvement in the death of a named individual, wouldn't you say???

Gerry Adams was a senior member of the IRA. It is entirely reasonable for a journalist to ask him about the activities of the IRA.

What part of "allegation involving a named individual" do you find so hard to grasp here?

I don't find it hard to grasp at all. She asked a senior IRA figure about specific IRA activities.
No, she made a very specific accusation about a named individual's death. This is not acceptable, particularly from the state broadcaster. Amazing you need that spelt out to you.

State broadcasters have the same rights to freedom of speech as the rest of us. If Gerry hadn't been in the IRA he wouldn't be getting these questions.
Right. Why do certain individuals from the Labour Party not face such allegations?

Which "certain individuals" should face such allegations?
Dec, seriously, you're cluthcing at straws here. Believe what you want about Gerry Adams' IRA membership but making a specific accusation to him on live TV about being responsible for the death of a NAMED INDIVIDUAL without a source is a whole other matter. It is gutter journalism.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2013, 10:38:41 AM
Quote from: deiseach on May 03, 2013, 09:56:55 AM
It always cracks me up when it comes to Northern Ireland how everyone defends the necessity of violence yet everyone denies having ever pulled a trigger. Who performed these killings? Martin Corry's beast?
Do you expect everyone who ever pulled a trigger to suddenly volunteer themselves to go to jail?

If the person did it in what they believed was a virtuous cause, yes. As per the Good Friday Agreement, anyone who fessed up now would not spend a day in jail, so that person would have nothing to lose.

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on May 03, 2013, 10:52:59 AM
It always cracks me up when it comes to Northern Ireland how everyone defends the necessity of violence yet everyone denies having ever pulled a trigger. Who performed these killings? Martin Corry's beast?
Do you expect everyone who ever pulled a trigger to suddenly volunteer themselves to go to jail?

If the person did it in what they believed was a virtuous cause, yes. As per the Good Friday Agreement, anyone who fessed up now would not spend a day in jail, so that person would have nothing to lose.

People can still be convicted of activities pre-GFA. Gerry McGeough for example was charged in 2009 over a shooting in 1981, and served two years of a 20 year sentence.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 03, 2013, 11:07:59 AM
People can still be convicted of activities pre-GFA. Gerry McGeough for example was charged in 2009 over a shooting in 1981, and served two years of a 20 year sentence.

I stand corrected, it seems you have to have served two years in a British or Irish prison to be eligible for release under licence. Not thinking of anyone, but I wonder does internment count?

Anyway, I guess we can conclude from this that it's only the thought of those two years that is preventing scores of Provos stepping forward to take the credit for their role in the fight for Irish freedom. Must be hard on them, having to be so modest about it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 23, 2013, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: ranch on April 23, 2013, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 23, 2013, 03:35:06 PM
Northern Ireland is an entity, a jurisdiction and no amount of political contortion will change that. A majority of natioanlists in the north accept that, whether they like it or not is a moot point. SF have accepted that until a majority say otherwise that it exists. None of this makes it a country...it clearly isn't.
On another point all the political posturing that SF did over Sean Brady and President Gerry is quite happily covering up for the brother.

By testifying against him in court? Strange logic.
He doesn't have much choice at this stage surely? I assume apples is referring to what happened before this case became public.
Sorry let me clarify...he sat on information just as Sean Brady did.

lawnseed

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 03, 2013, 12:49:07 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 23, 2013, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: ranch on April 23, 2013, 04:34:26 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 23, 2013, 03:35:06 PM
Northern Ireland is an entity, a jurisdiction and no amount of political contortion will change that. A majority of natioanlists in the north accept that, whether they like it or not is a moot point. SF have accepted that until a majority say otherwise that it exists. None of this makes it a country...it clearly isn't.
On another point all the political posturing that SF did over Sean Brady and President Gerry is quite happily covering up for the brother.

By testifying against him in court? Strange logic.
He doesn't have much choice at this stage surely? I assume apples is referring to what happened before this case became public.
Sorry let me clarify...he sat on information just as Sean Brady did.
sinn fein certainly didnt posture about brady. they took a stand.
your luckly apples that a problem like that of the adams family isnt at your door. i wonder what you would do..? sean brady did all he could to cover up the crimes of people (to which he was not related) against little kids in their care.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lawnseed

true! and gerry adams is the guy who called 'again' not 2wks ago in mayo for a truth and reconcilation board to be set up as happened in south africa.

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on May 03, 2013, 06:07:59 PM
[ gerry adams is the guy who called ...... for a truth and reconcilation board to be set up as happened in south africa.

Will Gerry appear before it and tell all? ;)
Or will he be in charge of it  ;) ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tony Baloney

true! and gerry adams is the guy who called 'again' not 2wks ago in mayo for a truth and reconcilation board to be set up as happened in south africa.
The Shinners aren't content unless they are spunking tax payers money.

Minder

He keeps calling for it because he knows it will never happen.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lawnseed

Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2013, 08:37:10 PM
[ gerry adams is the guy who called ...... for a truth and reconcilation board to be set up as happened in south africa.

well there wouldnt be much point in any of 'ye lot' showing up for a TRUTH session would there?

Maguire01

I'm unconvinced by this idea of a truth and reconciliation commission. Does anyone really believe that this will uncover the full truth? Will senior members of SF admit to individual atrocities? Will they provide all the gruesome details? Does anyone believe the British state would come clean on the extent of its involvement? I don't think so. It's a smokescreen for people to avoid telling the truth now.

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on May 04, 2013, 08:07:54 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2013, 08:37:10 PM

well there wouldnt be much point in any of 'ye lot' showing up for a TRUTH session would there?

Who are "ye lot" - the non SF Gaaboarders??
You're great entertainment Lawnseed - keep it up  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2013, 09:00:24 AM
I'm unconvinced by this idea of a truth and reconciliation commission. Does anyone really believe that this will uncover the full truth? Will senior members of SF admit to individual atrocities? Will they provide all the gruesome details? Does anyone believe the British state would come clean on the extent of its involvement? I don't think so. It's a smokescreen for people to avoid telling the truth now.
may big al will come clean about his horticultural activities

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 04, 2013, 09:00:24 AM

Alistair Campbell is organising it and will make a comprehensive and truthful report after he has heard all the evidence.

So we can all be assured that the full truth will finally emerge on all sides.