Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Believe the Safety Technical Group has now unanimously backed spectator safety procedures for the redevelopment. One hurdle crossed, but with no minister at Stormont it's still in limbo. IMO Stormont is finished, so could a Brit minister give it the OK?

thejuice

Quote from: red hander on October 07, 2018, 06:31:16 PM
Believe the Safety Technical Group has now unanimously backed spectator safety procedures for the redevelopment. One hurdle crossed, but with no minister at Stormont it's still in limbo. IMO Stormont is finished, so could a Brit minister give it the OK?

Surely they could go to the Secretary of State in London considering the amount of planning decisions that go to them these days to get housing pushed through when the local planners aren't playing ball. They go over the heads of local authorities for things like HS2 so why not this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

When Brexit comes to a head, which is soon, the question of restoring Stormont will arise, as other projects are also help up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

MoChara

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/10/08/news/panel-of-experts-back-gaa-fan-safety-procedures-in-casement-park-redevelopment-plan-1452327/

A PANEL of experts has unanimously backed spectator safety procedures in the redevelopment plan for Casement Park.

The endorsement from the group comprising all of the main emergency services comes more than three years after the former chair of the same body triggered a Stormont inquiry when he revealed his concerns about the ill-fated first design for the west Belfast venue.

The Safety Technical Group (STG), which was set up to scrutinise plans to redevelop stadiums in Northern Ireland, has verified steps taken by the GAA to ensure the proposed 34,000-plus capacity stadium could be evacuated safely, with emergency vehicles able to get appropriate access.

The approval of the STG comes as planners continue to assess the second design proposal.

Read More
Sinn Féin says Casement Park project should go ahead Casement Park 'not being progressed' without ministers
Even if the planners ultimately give the green light for the £60 million-plus rebuild, work on the site is still likely to be a way off, as the power-sharing impasse means there is no minister in place to sign off on the revised budget plan.

When, or if, a new stadium gets built, a final safety certificate will still need to be granted by Belfast City Council, with the approval of the police and fire service, for it to be able to host events.

But the GAA has hailed the backing of the STG in the planning process as a significant milestone toward that objective.

A spokesman for the GAA Ulster Council said: "As Casement Park's planning assessment process moves into its final weeks, we welcome that the Safety Technical Group has unanimously verified our work regarding the stadium's design and spectator safety."

He said the STG had been involved in "every step of the project's design development".

"We will continue to work with our dedicated team as we look forward to the conclusion of the statutory process and a formal view on the application from the Planning Service," he added.

Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd confirmed the PSNI, which had concerns about the original proposal, was now content with the safety aspects of the design.

"At this stage of the development process, the PSNI is assured that the issues of concern have been addressed," he said.

"We will continue to engage with and provide input to the Safety Technical Group to ensure safety, access and egress requirements are met."

A spokeswoman for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said: "NIFRS is satisfied with the revised proposals for emergency exiting and is continuing to engage through the Safety Technical Group on all fire safety requirements for this project."

The GAA's efforts to develop the old stadium site have been mired in controversy, with initial planning approval for a 38,000-capacity venue quashed by the High Court in 2014 following a challenge by nearby residents.

Subsequent to that decision, safety expert Paul Scott told a Stormont oversight committee that he had serious concerns about the original design.

Mr Scott, who was then chair of the STG, said the stadium envisaged could not be emptied safely in an emergency and warned of a similar situation to the Hillsborough tragedy.

His claim prompted an investigation by the Culture, Arts and Leisure committee. The GAA insisted it acted appropriately throughout the first design process.

Nevertheless, given the High Court judgment, it was forced to scale back on its original design, with a second planning application submitted in March 2017 envisaging a target capacity of 34,186.

Despite the reduced size, the plan continues to face vocal opposition from some residents living around the venue. Other residents, however, are supportive of the plan to revive and regenerate the currently overgrown and crumbling stadium site.

The Department for Communities (DfC), responding to a request from planners, has now confirmed that a safety report compiled by the Ulster Council earlier this year has the unanimous backing of all members of the STG.

The STG comprises representatives from Sport NI, Belfast City Council, the PSNI, the NI Ambulance Service, the NI Fire and Rescue Service and the GAA's ground safety management.

A DfC spokeswoman said: "The Department for Communities received a request from the Department for Infrastructure (DfI) strategic planning unit for the Safety Technical Group to verify stadium design and spectator safety information submitted by UCGAA.

"The STG responded by unanimously verifying the accuracy of the spectator safety submitted information. DfC subsequently submitted this information to DfI."

A spokeswoman for the Ambulance Service said: "The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service cooperated with our partner agencies to review issues relating to public safety and the proposals for the redevelopment of Casement Park."

A Belfast City Council spokesman said: "Belfast City Council as a member of the Safety Technical Group provides advice on matters relating to safety in the context of the Safety of Sports Grounds (NI) Order 2006. Belfast City Council has, within the scope of its engagement in the STG, considered safety and evacuation in the process to date. The Council will continue to consider these matters when issuing a general safety certificate based on the final stadium design."

trailer

Stormont's five main parties were asked if Ulster GAA should receive more public money for Casement Park to plug its £33m budgetary shortfall, and if so how much.
Sinn Féin, the DUP and UUP did not respond.
Credit: Brendan Hughes Twitter

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/03/12/news/sdlp-fully-supports-more-public-money-for-casement-park-1570371/

trailer

SF need to come out an explicitly say that they support GAA and the redevelopment of this Stadium. They have held it up for long enough. Rugby and Soccer all have first class stadia. Why not GAA the largest sport in the North?

Orior

Quote from: trailer on March 12, 2019, 09:45:54 AM
SF need to come out an explicitly say that they support GAA and the redevelopment of this Stadium. They have held it up for long enough. Rugby and Soccer all have first class stadia. Why not GAA the largest sport in the North?

I will be challenging them on this next time they appear on my doorstep.

For entertainment purposes, I might ask the DUP too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on March 12, 2019, 01:26:05 PM
For entertainment purposes, I might ask the DUP too.

The DUP would be great craic. But I lived in Cross' for years and they never called around.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Maybe because this white elephant end up costing more than  King'span and the soccer stadium combined. Waste of money in its current location. We learn nothing from the mess down in Cork.

Baile Brigín 2

Because they falsified H&S documenation?

illdecide

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 13, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Ohh is that right, you pop in with a statement like that. Show me your evidence
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: illdecide on March 13, 2019, 09:16:24 AM

Thats the story. Read the article above.

The delay is 100% internal to the GAA

illdecide

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 13, 2019, 09:40:48 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 13, 2019, 09:16:24 AM

Thats the story. Read the article above.

The delay is 100% internal to the GAA

Yeah but that's just some Unionists opinion, doesn't mean it's correct.

You also say because the N I Government are not in place to move this forward then it's the GAA's fault
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM