Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 29, 2020, 07:59:56 AM
Looking forward to Sunday. Would read nothing into the league game as Tyrone didn't seem to invest too much in the game. It will be a massive task on Sunday though and Donegal will rightfully fancy their chances. The unavailability of so many players is effecting the strength and depth of the team and would have liked another forward option or two on the bench.

I see in papers Richie Donnelly has been back training. If he's fit he will start and this time of year probably suits him, as well as giving a bit more physicality around the middle sector which we lacked massively in the league game. Meyler seemed to play a more attacking role last week and was poor, if he's on it'll have to be in a more defensive role. Our options at the back are a limited given the likely unavailability of Brennan, Hampsey, Cassidy etc.

You could actually make a case for playing McRory (as popular as that would be) who again should suit the time of year and is more of an out and out marker than some of the players in defence. It's a toss up between him and Hugh Pat for me. It's hard to know what to do with Sludden. There is potential in him but hasn't delivered in the last few years. I don't think he's an 11 - so either an option as a half forward or half back. Liam Rafferty seems better on the front foot than back foot so I'd have him in half back line. I'd go with something like this (assuming boys above unavailable):

Morgan
Hugh Pat
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Rafferty
Kennedy
Mattie
Sludden
R Donnelly
McGeary
Harte
McKenna
Canavan

McCurry to hopefully provide some kind of impact of the bench. Tyrone being given very little chance in the media which probably suits us alright. I certainly wouldn't right the team off.

It really depends on who we have available. Apparently O'Neill was having problems breathing on Sunday but it was not anything related to a clash or an impact injury, he went to hospital but got the OK so not sure if he's available. I've liked what I've seen from him so far, looks to have far more defensively than what else we have.

McCurry simply has to start.

Presuming R Donnelly is available.....I'd go with.

Morgan
Rafferty
McNamee
Hugh Pat
McCann
McGeary
O'Neill/McKernan
Kennedy
R Donnelly/Kilpatrick
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Canavan/Bradley
Harte
Meyler

Meyler would solely be in that team to dog McHugh as he's been very poor otherwise. I'd prefer to spring Canavan from the bench later on when he might get a little more room to operate but that ability would depend on having someone like Bradley available. Is Daniel Kerr still on the squad and available? He's a better option than Ronan O'Neill for me.

Sludden looks like he's struggling so I wouldn't start. Frank Burns and McKernan make too many defensive mistakes to start. McKernan does offer a bit going forward but I think if O'Neill is fit an available I'd start him.

I'd resist throwing McKenna inside, we do have Harte back for this as he missed the league match with Donegal, Harte has a bit of pace about him and can win his ball out in front so it will free McKenna to play at 11 and get on the ball. We need someone in there beside him so it's probably Canavan but if Bradley is available I'd start him, as I mentioned earlier I think Kerr is a better option off the bench than R O'Neill but wasn't involved in either league match.

Then there's the task of Donegal's danger men:

If McBrearty plays then McNamee should pick him up, he's done well on him in the past.
Murphy is a tricky one, Hampsey and Brennan would be the two main men here but both look set to be out, Cassidy would be the most suited next but he looks gone too so I'd probably go with Hugh Pat.
Meyler should pick McHugh up
Rafferty on Brennan

If Murphy and McHugh are negated and Tyrone sort their kickouts out then that's the basis for a win. I just want to see a tactical improvement from Tyrone and to give Donegal a real battle, I'd be happy with that given the amount of absentees.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Taylor

Quote from: Angelo on October 29, 2020, 09:39:37 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 29, 2020, 07:59:56 AM
Looking forward to Sunday. Would read nothing into the league game as Tyrone didn't seem to invest too much in the game. It will be a massive task on Sunday though and Donegal will rightfully fancy their chances. The unavailability of so many players is effecting the strength and depth of the team and would have liked another forward option or two on the bench.

I see in papers Richie Donnelly has been back training. If he's fit he will start and this time of year probably suits him, as well as giving a bit more physicality around the middle sector which we lacked massively in the league game. Meyler seemed to play a more attacking role last week and was poor, if he's on it'll have to be in a more defensive role. Our options at the back are a limited given the likely unavailability of Brennan, Hampsey, Cassidy etc.

You could actually make a case for playing McRory (as popular as that would be) who again should suit the time of year and is more of an out and out marker than some of the players in defence. It's a toss up between him and Hugh Pat for me. It's hard to know what to do with Sludden. There is potential in him but hasn't delivered in the last few years. I don't think he's an 11 - so either an option as a half forward or half back. Liam Rafferty seems better on the front foot than back foot so I'd have him in half back line. I'd go with something like this (assuming boys above unavailable):

Morgan
Hugh Pat
McNamee
McKernan
McCann
Burns
Rafferty
Kennedy
Mattie
Sludden
R Donnelly
McGeary
Harte
McKenna
Canavan

McCurry to hopefully provide some kind of impact of the bench. Tyrone being given very little chance in the media which probably suits us alright. I certainly wouldn't right the team off.

It really depends on who we have available. Apparently O'Neill was having problems breathing on Sunday but it was not anything related to a clash or an impact injury, he went to hospital but got the OK so not sure if he's available. I've liked what I've seen from him so far, looks to have far more defensively than what else we have.

McCurry simply has to start.

Presuming R Donnelly is available.....I'd go with.

Morgan
Rafferty
McNamee
Hugh Pat
McCann
McGeary
O'Neill/McKernan
Kennedy
R Donnelly/Kilpatrick
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Canavan/Bradley
Harte
Meyler

Meyler would solely be in that team to dog McHugh as he's been very poor otherwise. I'd prefer to spring Canavan from the bench later on when he might get a little more room to operate but that ability would depend on having someone like Bradley available. Is Daniel Kerr still on the squad and available? He's a better option than Ronan O'Neill for me.

Sludden looks like he's struggling so I wouldn't start. Frank Burns and McKernan make too many defensive mistakes to start. McKernan does offer a bit going forward but I think if O'Neill is fit an available I'd start him.

I'd resist throwing McKenna inside, we do have Harte back for this as he missed the league match with Donegal, Harte has a bit of pace about him and can win his ball out in front so it will free McKenna to play at 11 and get on the ball. We need someone in there beside him so it's probably Canavan but if Bradley is available I'd start him, as I mentioned earlier I think Kerr is a better option off the bench than R O'Neill but wasn't involved in either league match.

Then there's the task of Donegal's danger men:

If McBrearty plays then McNamee should pick him up, he's done well on him in the past.
Murphy is a tricky one, Hampsey and Brennan would be the two main men here but both look set to be out, Cassidy would be the most suited next but he looks gone too so I'd probably go with Hugh Pat.
Meyler should pick McHugh up
Rafferty on Brennan

If Murphy and McHugh are negated and Tyrone sort their kickouts out then that's the basis for a win. I just want to see a tactical improvement from Tyrone and to give Donegal a real battle, I'd be happy with that given the amount of absentees.

The highlighted parts are absolutely the key to winning Angelo.

Unfortunately I cant see us solving those three problems.

I feel we can negate McHugh.......and I even feel we can keep Murphy a bit quieter than he has been in recent outings (impossible to negate him).

I havent seen anything in the games so far that would say we can flick a switch and sort the kick outs unfortunately

Taylor

I see one of our former players making the news for all the wrong reasons yesterday.
Bel Tel loving it  ::)

skeog

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: referee on October 29, 2020, 06:08:44 PM
3 pomeroy men rs,rh 🎅,god spare us,one thing Tyrone don't need is giving away frees what FB and K MC G do constantly,HP is ok for an in-house game but that's it,ass like a limousine bull,conditions won't suit him either, I'll eat my whistle if any off the 3 off them have a good game

Galbally referee then.

Welcome to GAA Board Sean.

NotedObserver

Morgan
Rafferty
McNamee
Hugh Pat
McCann
McGeary
McKernan
Kennedy
F Burns
M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry
Canavan/sludden
Harte
Meyler

Think that will be the team but hope some improvements.

Angelo

What's the verdict on Mulgrew lads?

Just been very unlucky with injuries or only there due to Horse?

Clearly the lad had a lot of potential, think he started an All Ireland minor final as a 15 year old but seems to have been ravaged by injuries since entering the senior set up.

Bar that game against Armagh in 2017, he hasn't really done much in a Tyrone jersey and even at club level he's never really stood out as anything special.

Is it just a case of him needing to stay injury free or is he not good enough. It's hard to even say what type of player he is or where his best position is.

Naturally there will be the usual calls of nepotism but could he potentially be a big player for Tyrone if he can stay fit? He's been on the panel 4/5 years now.

Gaafan2

3 pomeroy men rs,rh 🎅,god spare us,one thing Tyrone don't need is giving away frees what FB and K MC G do constantly,HP is ok for an in-house game but that's it,ass like a limousine bull,conditions won't suit him either, I'll eat my whistle if any off the 3 off them have a good game

What the f**ks your problem. Granted I wouldnt have Hugh Pat starting but Kieran McGearys a quality footballer and had a great game last week. He plays on the edge a little but he brings alot to that Tyrone team. As for Frank he has the ability to be a big player for Tyrone but he's played out of position. He plays his best footballer for us closer to goal.

Gaafan2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 29, 2020, 06:42:42 PM

Galbally referee then.

Welcome to GAA Board Sean.

Galbally t**mp surely, not hard to work that out from his previous comments.

GaelTheGael

Give me Frank Burns and Kieran McGeary before Tiernan McCann, Michael McKernan or Conor Meyler anyday.

GlenMan

Quote from: Angelo on October 29, 2020, 09:03:55 PM

Clearly the lad had a lot of potential, think he started an All Ireland minor final as a 15 year old but seems to have been ravaged by injuries since entering the senior set up.

Bar that game against Armagh in 2017, he hasn't really done much in a Tyrone jersey and even at club level he's never really stood out as anything special.

Is it just a case of him needing to stay injury free or is he not good enough. It's hard to even say what type of player he is or where his best position is.

Naturally there will be the usual calls of nepotism but could he potentially be a big player for Tyrone if he can stay fit? He's been on the panel 4/5 years now.

Really not good over the last few years. Watching him in the Club Championship, he skied nearly every shot he took. Came on against Donegal two weeks ago and did the same thing.

At this stage it would be in his benefit to drop him/for him to withdraw from the squad. There are absolutely better 'on form' Players to call up.

Redhand Santa

One thing I don't like on here is singling out players who put so much into playing for the county  for over the top criticism. There's a number of 50 50 marginal calls in the team selection.

I think it's a tight call between mccurry and sludden. For some reason sludden has been off form for a while. The best he ever played was running at the dubs on a wet night in croke park 3/4 years ago. He seems to have lost that direct running style. Mccurry has never really nailed it in a big championship game, hopefully it comes this week.

Angelo

Quote from: GlenMan on October 29, 2020, 10:19:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 29, 2020, 09:03:55 PM

Really not good over the last few years. Watching him in the Club Championship, he skied nearly every shot he took. Came on against Donegal two weeks ago and did the same thing.

At this stage it would be in his benefit to drop him/for him to withdraw from the squad. There are absolutely better 'on form' Players to call up.

That would be my verdict of him too but he did come into the squad with a big reputation. He's probably only 22/23 so still has plenty of time but he's been on the senior panel 4/5 years now and doesn't really seem to have made any sort of progression.

I'm just not sure what type of player he is or is meant to be seeing him. Maybe it is injuries and I think as you said it might for the best for him to take a year out of the panel, get some regular football with the club and get some continuity and confidence back because it just doesn't seem to be happening with Tyrone now. He is certainly young enough to come back in and make an impact at some stage.

I think we should be looking at a big cull next year, there's about 11/12 players who have been there for a good 3 years plus at this stage who just don't really seem to offer anything that we don't already have and don't really seem to be threatening the team. We saw in the club championship we have plenty of good players about that deserve an opportunity.

southtyronegael

On current form MC curry starts ahead of sludden all day long. A big cull next year indeed Angelo, management team included. Maybe that's why mulgrew going backwards.