Laois Senior Football Championship 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 25, 2022, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegreeenandgold

It's that time of the year where Josephs get all excited before exiting in a heroic two point defeat.  Graigue think they are back but that's every year since 1965.  Ballyroanabbey talk about 92.  O Dempsey's are just O Dempsey's.  Courtwood and St Man's realize they are just making up the numbers.  Portlaoise dream of the good old days and Port win a 3rd County in a row. 

Laois Championship and we love it

From the Terrace

I think the championship has been decent enough competitive wise. The obvious two tiers, 4/5 teams going to battle it out for champo and the rest the same standard. Laois senior I'd rank around 5th in Leinster. On quarters my predictions port by 3, portlaoise by 7, Josephs by 5, graigue by 6.

georgedoylesrightleg

some good games over weekend. wonder when the last time donie was kept scoreless in a game was. port the team to beat. ballyroan look to be missing something still. joes have it to prove, but sneaky suspicion for them. fair play to clonaslee, a club moving on from its past hopefully. park be happy with their lot. courtwood still improving. o dempseys look a dark horse.

High Fielder

Unfortunately, competitive doesn't mean it's any good. Let's be honest with ourselves here. It's a very poor standard of football being played, and Portarlington have obviously decided that they can phase their preparation in line with the latter stages of the Championship. Based on what they did last year, that should work for them, because the other teams are very, very ordinary imo.

The relegation decider should be a warning to club executives about prematurely ending good underage relations. Killeshin have disimproved since ending their relationship with Crettyard; and it was a mutually beneficial relationship. Similarly Ballylinan, who probably benefitted being the top dog in Ballylinan/Glenmor. Shocking to see how bad they've both become.

After watching the dross of the last number of weeks, I'm undecided about the future structure of the Championship. My current thinking is that it doesn't really matter. Football in this county is in a pathetic state right now, and in many ways we just need to rip up the blueprint (whatever the f**k that is) and start afresh. There's very little we can do that will help our situation short term

portlaoisekid

Quote from: High Fielder on August 24, 2022, 08:34:42 AM
Unfortunately, competitive doesn't mean it's any good. Let's be honest with ourselves here. It's a very poor standard of football being played, and Portarlington have obviously decided that they can phase their preparation in line with the latter stages of the Championship. Based on what they did last year, that should work for them, because the other teams are very, very ordinary imo.

The relegation decider should be a warning to club executives about prematurely ending good underage relations. Killeshin have disimproved since ending their relationship with Crettyard; and it was a mutually beneficial relationship. Similarly Ballylinan, who probably benefitted being the top dog in Ballylinan/Glenmor. Shocking to see how bad they've both become.

After watching the dross of the last number of weeks, I'm undecided about the future structure of the Championship. My current thinking is that it doesn't really matter. Football in this county is in a pathetic state right now, and in many ways we just need to rip up the blueprint (whatever the f**k that is) and start afresh. There's very little we can do that will help our situation short term
Got to agree with you here, the standard is poor and very few stand out players coming through, also you have it nailed on with regards Port, they have this championship sussed. They wont be caught, not a chance.

georgedoylesrightleg

Ah your alright. your not a troll, just high strung. really lookin forward to the quarters now. some good young players showing up well. hope they commit to the county now too.

clonadmad

The Killeshin and Crettyard juvenile amalgamation only broke up in 2019

Are you seriously suggesting that it has had an impact on the fortunes of their adult teams already?

High Fielder

Quote from: portlaoisekid on August 24, 2022, 09:25:12 AM

Got to agree with you here, the standard is poor and very few stand out players coming through, also you have it nailed on with regards Port, they have this championship sussed. They wont be caught, not a chance.

You sure you're not saying that and simultaneously thinking your boys can't turn them over? 😀 I can't see it, but I do wonder about lads coming back into a setup and the potential for disharmony that can cause. Port weren't far off winning a Leinster last year. I think it would have benefitted them if the lads had gone in with the county. I'm not sure about this going away and reintegrating later in the Championship.

High Fielder

Quote from: clonadmad on August 24, 2022, 09:33:13 AM

Are you seriously suggesting that it has had an impact on the fortunes of their adult teams already?

Indeed I am. It's not just about the players on the pitch. It's about the struggles it created in the club itself. It genuinely caused a rift and they're struggling

I was always impressed with the teams and preparation of Crettyard/Killeshin. It seemed to me to be a very good arrangement. They should knock their heads together and try to reignite it. Just my opinion but the production line was definitely working for both clubs

From the Terrace

On championship big guns, I think Joe's have a decent chance. Port have Byrne lad home to win championship for them brings its own pressure. Also Portlaoise + graigue improving with each outing, looking forward to two interesting semi finals. On county board I'd like to see 5/6 lads ala Michael duignan in Offaly coup to sort out our medium/long term in the county.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on August 24, 2022, 09:39:04 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on August 24, 2022, 09:33:13 AM

Indeed I am. It's not just about the players on the pitch. It's about the struggles it created in the club itself. It genuinely caused a rift and they're struggling

I was always impressed with the teams and preparation of Crettyard/Killeshin. It seemed to me to be a very good arrangement. They should knock their heads together and try to reignite it. Just my opinion but the production line was definitely working for both clubs

I find it remarkable that an amalgamation which broke up 3 years ago would have such a sudden impact on senior players?

You do realise that Crettyard are now in yet another amalgamation,they were part of Na Fianna and left it to go into another amalgamation

Are you suggesting they walk out of this one,their third in 4 years also?

High Fielder

You conveniently ignored my point about the harm done to the club and not just the players. But that's what you do. Crettyard should do whatever they feel is best for their club. As should Killeshin. I thought they had a good thing going. Both of them. In my opinion it's a pity.

As to your point about Crettyard walking in and out of amalgamations, and I'm not aiming this at you Clonadmad, but that is absolutely shocking, and yes I'm aware of it. Our CB should be ashamed for sanctioning such a lax approach. I wonder did they try and intervene when the initial split took place? Or are they happy to sanction short term amalgamations? Makes you wonder what their criteria is for sanctioning any amalgamation. They have after all turned down some

Laoiseabu

How many of the teams do you think are up to senior standard ? I'm saying 6 and at a big push I'd say 8