Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would ye whist

On another aspect of this I find it frustrating at the bias reporting on the SG (don't get me wrong, they do a fantastic job covering the games and are an asset to the county), Kevin Herron 'reporting' on the LD v PG1 game last night, does not mention one aspect of aggression barring a black card for a PG1 player with a few mins to go, report the games warts and all Kevin or do not bother

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 05, 2022, 03:33:35 PM
On another aspect of this I find it frustrating at the bias reporting on the SG (don't get me wrong, they do a fantastic job covering the games and are an asset to the county), Kevin Herron 'reporting' on the LD v PG1 game last night, does not mention one aspect of aggression barring a black card for a PG1 player with a few mins to go, report the games warts and all Kevin or do not bother

I don't know what to say to that, would we want pictures as well? Kevin and the rest will try and be positive rather than having our negative part of the game.

I'm not being funny but what would we get out of it? The ref puts in a report on any issues I don't see how reading about fights in every game will promote people into allowing their kids to play the sport.

I've seen reports that will say in a ill tempered game, that's code for dirty lol..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Would ye whist

For once you not knowing what to say or saying nothing may make a change

Red cards, fights and aggression are part of the game and reporting of these incidents can help the reader who may not have had the opportunity to attend a game  to get the full picture of what has gone on and not the pre-watershed version, if it is the mission statement of GAA journalism to sanitise and promote the game in a reporting manner which does not reflect reality then so be it, however I do find it laughable MR2 that you will be the first to have a pop a Country Bumpkin for any bias towards our boys  [

quote author=Milltown Row2 link=topic=21.msg2120677#msg2120677 date=1651763151]

I don't know what to say to that, would we want pictures as well? Kevin and the rest will try and be positive rather than having our negative part of the game.

I'm not being funny but what would we get out of it? The ref puts in a report on any issues I don't see how reading about fights in every game will promote people into allowing their kids to play the sport.

I've seen reports that will say in a ill tempered game, that's code for dirty lol..
[/quote]

country bumpkin

To be fair to KH and his failure to make comment on negativity at games he covers I do know that the SG has a strict policy against such 'incidents' being reported within.

Even the inefficiency of match officials, not mentioning any names cannot be commented on.

imtommygunn

I don't think that's an unreasonable stance tbh.

Tyrdub

I'm quite happy these incidents don't get mentioned, then you have a situation where a guy can get lambasted but the reporter may not have seen the incident as per the ref's view, and he will certainly not have any access to the referee's report. KH will not have a clue about what the referee has put the guy in for, it might be rough play and a 2nd yellow, but the report might say something completely different.
I refereed LD last week, issued 2 straight reds, KH was there. I'm glad they weren't mentioned because it was a juvenile match, I wouldn't want a kid to read something bad about himself, especially as the reporter, any reporter, might say something different from what actually occurred.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 05, 2022, 04:15:42 PM
For once you not knowing what to say or saying nothing may make a change

Red cards, fights and aggression are part of the game and reporting of these incidents can help the reader who may not have had the opportunity to attend a game  to get the full picture of what has gone on and not the pre-watershed version, if it is the mission statement of GAA journalism to sanitise and promote the game in a reporting manner which does not reflect reality then so be it, however I do find it laughable MR2 that you will be the first to have a pop a Country Bumpkin for any bias towards our boys  [

quote author=Milltown Row2 link=topic=21.msg2120677#msg2120677 date=1651763151]

[/quote]

Don't take things too seriously, If i was seriously bothered I wouldn't bother, CB does a great job along with the rest in regards to reporting our games, its unprecedented with regards to media attention where we are now to when I certainly played and you were lucky enough to get one report a week in the IN..

CB has no real bias when reporting, nothing wrong with positive spin, and the fact that you are with a squad weekly you might get a bit of flack from players should you report that they were dirty shites and deserved their red card.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Tyrdub on May 05, 2022, 04:47:23 PM
I'm quite happy these incidents don't get mentioned, then you have a situation where a guy can get lambasted but the reporter may not have seen the incident as per the ref's view, and he will certainly not have any access to the referee's report. KH will not have a clue about what the referee has put the guy in for, it might be rough play and a 2nd yellow, but the report might say something completely different.
I refereed LD last week, issued 2 straight reds, KH was there. I'm glad they weren't mentioned because it was a juvenile match, I wouldn't want a kid to read something bad about himself, especially as the reporter, any reporter, might say something different from what actually occurred.

This surprises me Tyrdud "I'm quite happy these incidents don't get mentioned" considering your past experiences?

Tyrdub

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on May 06, 2022, 06:17:13 AM

This surprises me Tyrdud "I'm quite happy these incidents don't get mentioned" considering your past experiences?

True, what I meant though was don't get into the particulars of an incident, and just mention "Player X was sent off". It's the "innocent until proven guilty" angle not the "guilty and wrong thing mentioned or wrong perspective put on it" I don't want. And ideally not mentioned at all in juvenile games. We don't know what's going on behind scenes on in kids heads these days.
And for the record, mine was an exceptional circumstance

City Dweller

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 05, 2022, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on May 05, 2022, 11:58:40 AM
Lamh Dhearg seem to be involved in loads of scraps,creggan v biddies reserves last week ended in a row too,brush brush nothing to see here it seems 😕
I have seen most of Cargins games, Lamh Dhearg, St Johns, Portglenone, Creggan, all sporting games. In a laughable way St Brigids the dirtiest team we have came across. Needless off the ball incidents all over the place by people pretending to be hard against a few weeks ago with a mouthy management team on their line. Hearing they fought Creggan reserves last week also (match abandoned).Obviously the Donegal lad is trying to breed some fight into the notoriously soft centred St Brigids men, playing snooker with a rope.

Nonsense... game was over.
Creggan player then started row... handbags for 20 secs..

Would ye whist

This was my point exactly do not go into detail as to why they were sent off but at least reference that they were, instead KH reported how a PG1 man was black carded but did not reference a red for his own club, why the disparity?

Quote from: Tyrdub on May 06, 2022, 08:24:30 AM

True, what I meant though was don't get into the particulars of an incident, and just mention "Player X was sent off". It's the "innocent until proven guilty" angle not the "guilty and wrong thing mentioned or wrong perspective put on it" I don't want. And ideally not mentioned at all in juvenile games. We don't know what's going on behind scenes on in kids heads these days.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Would ye whist on May 06, 2022, 09:36:25 AM
This was my point exactly do not go into detail as to why they were sent off but at least reference that they were, instead KH reported how a PG1 man was black carded but did not reference a red for his own club, why the disparity?

Only 1 man can answer this, and given that the guy gives his time FOC, I don't think this is something to get hung up on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on May 06, 2022, 09:41:19 AM

Only 1 man can answer this, and given that the guy gives his time FOC, I don't think this is something to get hung up on.

We could go through hundreds of reports and there will be plenty that don't reference certain things (for good reason in my book) and plenty bias shown...

As CB has said there is protocol when writing up reports, any beef that you (not you Tyrdub) have then SG should be the ones that you speak too next time they are at one of the games you are watching, I'm sure they will deal with any issues you have on this matter and give their reasons why.

SG is a free to read service, you don't have to read the reports if you are not happy with them, personally I think they do a brilliant job, and long may it continue.

asaffgael

Well said! Would ye whist your name couldn't be more apt

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2022, 09:56:06 AM
Quote from: Tyrdub on May 06, 2022, 09:41:19 AM

We could go through hundreds of reports and there will be plenty that don't reference certain things (for good reason in my book) and plenty bias shown...

As CB has said there is protocol when writing up reports, any beef that you (not you Tyrdub) have then SG should be the ones that you speak too next time they are at one of the games you are watching, I'm sure they will deal with any issues you have on this matter and give their reasons why.

SG is a free to read service, you don't have to read the reports if you are not happy with them, personally I think they do a brilliant job, and long may it continue.

I actually think that it will improve the standard of games within the county in general (over time). The publicity it gets now and the fact everyone can see it and kids can see the publicity the older ones are getting etc. It is just a fantastic service. Also for people who have moved away from home keeping in touch with their home club it's great.