Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 26, 2022, 02:03:44 PM
As much as it saddens me to say it we have a real discipline issue in the county with players mouthing off to officials, my own club man has gotten away with it for years but on Saturday he got the lesson intercounty refs will not stand for it and picked up a silly yellow for it and then a justified second yellow

I am in no way justifying the poor performance of the ref on Saturday, however it appears the basics are missing
You aren't from the same club, who do you think you are kidding??

Would ye whist

Course I am not.........................

Quote from: EOC1923 on April 26, 2022, 02:24:51 PM
As much as it saddens me to say it we have a real discipline issue in the county with players mouthing off to officials, my own club man has gotten away with it for years but on Saturday he got the lesson intercounty refs will not stand for it and picked up a silly yellow for it and then a justified second yellow

I am in no way justifying the poor performance of the ref on Saturday, however it appears the basics are missing
You aren't from the same club, who do you think you are kidding??

Milltown Row2

Its not uncommon for older players to lose their discipline, Mick has high standards that he sets himself and when he feels its going against him he'll let you know, I don't mind constructive 'chat' but when it gets personal or over the top you are walking a a fine line. Its very difficult to take a player like him off to be fair, you place a lot of responsibilities on his shoulders to and he'll have taken them on board also.

The second tackle was borderline yellow, but maybe just maybe because of the earlier yellow it gave the ref an opportunity to flash a second yellow, they are only human, keep the ref on board and you'll get the benefit of the 50/50 calls, start abusing them and the 50/50 calls could go more against you.

I don't know if the ref was that poor to be fair, he gave my clubman a yellow for the off the ball stuff, after Hurson and his umpires were chatting, I think it was the right call as he defo started it. Some softer fouls maybe and moving the ball in is for mouthing. He'd one mistake were he allowed a 'MARK' to be played on when it was called, the player hand passed the ball.. other than that I can't really see too many stand out wrongs, that's with my Antrim supporter head on.

When I got nearer the end of playing you are getting into more scrapes and mouthing, that's your body telling you to stop playing lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 02:33:45 PM

Its not uncommon for older players to lose their discipline, Mick has high standards that he sets himself and when he feels its going against him he'll let you know, I don't mind constructive 'chat' but when it gets personal or over the top you are walking a a fine line. Its very difficult to take a player like him off to be fair, you place a lot of responsibilities on his shoulders to and he'll have taken them on board also.

The second tackle was borderline yellow, but maybe just maybe because of the earlier yellow it gave the ref an opportunity to flash a second yellow, they are only human, keep the ref on board and you'll get the benefit of the 50/50 calls, start abusing them and the 50/50 calls could go more against you.

I don't know if the ref was that poor to be fair, he gave my clubman a yellow for the off the ball stuff, after Hurson and his umpires were chatting, I think it was the right call as he defo started it. Some softer fouls maybe and moving the ball in is for mouthing. He'd one mistake were he allowed a 'MARK' to be played on when it was called, the player hand passed the ball.. other than that I can't really see too many stand out wrongs, that's with my Antrim supporter head on.

When I got nearer the end of playing you are getting into more scrapes and mouthing, that's your body telling you to stop playing lol

You haven't changed much!!

antrimman667

I think the tactics cost us on Sunday

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on April 26, 2022, 02:44:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 02:33:45 PM

You haven't changed much!!

I'm 50 now so its grump old fart period, you must be using HRT patches now to keep your moods together  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Strange all the wisdom, tactical, awareness on this site...
Must be from Milltown......all those titles secured...

Bye, bye, Mc Ginley, O'Neill, and Kelly and take your All Ireland medals with you....experience and know how aplenty here...
Hands up volunteers.....

Flanker

Quote from: NatSoSaff on April 26, 2022, 01:36:07 PM
My God. I despair
NSS outside of RC I don't think anyone would have been backing an Antim win.

Expectation would have been good performance, Management getting a tune out of the team and fall a bit short.

Cavan a decent side 2 out of the last 3 Ulster finals winning 1.

The disappointment for most was not the defeat but the absence of just about anything.

Can you give 2-3 positive aspects of the performance where you could say there has been a Good bit of work put into that, there is something to build on etc

Not an individual piece of skill, A Ryan Murray play, A Paddy McAleer catch, The Goalkeeper etc

Something with the Management or coaching teams fingerprints on it where you could say that's working well or thats shaping up well.

Most people are struggling to see any of the very basics you would expect. Yes we are a work in progress but at this point you would expect to see the shoots of the management teams stamp/philosophy on the team.

Appreciate that the guys have with the players put in a lot of time & effort but surely that is all the more reason to have some expectations.

Look forward to your positives....At this point even 1 would do

bannside

Can't use the word experience in this context. Harte/Devlin equal experience. Unfortunately our trio have no managerial experience, of real consequence. Don't think anyone can even debate this!

The hope was they could collate their many many successful forays and experiences in the pitch, and bring the same mindset or psychological edge, know how, cuteness, tricks of the trade, respect from peer player to recently retired peer, all of that. That had to be worth a punt. I personally backed it at the time, got a great feeling this was a great appointment.

But there's a need to be honest. Sadly, I don't see any progress. As someone who has missed one match only in two full years, including Mc Kenna Cup, home and away, I am far from convinced. Too many basics missing for me. The three last second hail Mary's that got us out if jail last year unfortunately has served only to paper over the cracks.

All we ask is for whoever is managing the team to get the basics right and have players playing out of their skins - and they will find the vast majority of us on here quite forgiving. We know we are div 3 standard, and div 2 would be unforgiving. But that kind of performance was nothing short of a national embarrassment on Saturday past. It was in all probability the worst Antrim championship performance I have ever seen.

And I don't give one flying fiddler's who that offends. That's how cross I still feel about it!

antrimman667

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 26, 2022, 03:02:00 PM
Strange all the wisdom, tactical, awareness on this site...
Must be from Milltown......all those titles secured...

Bye, bye, Mc Ginley, O'Neill, and Kelly and take your All Ireland medals with you....experience and know how aplenty here...
Hands up volunteers.....
They've only got out of a crap d4 not much done

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2022, 04:04:42 PM
Can't use the word experience in this context. Harte/Devlin equal experience. Unfortunately our trio have no managerial experience, of real consequence. Don't think anyone can even debate this!

The hope was they could collate their many many successful forays and experiences in the pitch, and bring the same mindset or psychological edge, know how, cuteness, tricks of the trade, respect from peer player to recently retired peer, all of that. That had to be worth a punt. I personally backed it at the time, got a great feeling this was a great appointment.

But there's a need to be honest. Sadly, I don't see any progress. As someone who has missed one match only in two full years, including Mc Kenna Cup, home and away, I am far from convinced. Too many basics missing for me. The three last second hail Mary's that got us out if jail last year unfortunately has served only to paper over the cracks.

All we ask is for whoever is managing the team to get the basics right and have players playing out of their skins - and they will find the vast majority of us on here quite forgiving. We know we are div 3 standard, and div 2 would be unforgiving. But that kind of performance was nothing short of a national embarrassment on Saturday past. It was in all probability the worst Antrim championship performance I have ever seen.

And I don't give one flying fiddler's who that offends. That's how cross I still feel about it!

The match aside and all that Bannside, we have done better than what the long suffering Antrim supporter has endured for many a year and that is potential, the potential to learn at a higher level than we have done, the potential to blood new players or bring other players back into the fold, the potential of a better performance in the Championship..

Feeling sore is ok, we defo didn't get it right on the day, my only gripe is we managed to get within touching distance by playing 15 on 15 for final 10 minutes pressed higher and had more turnovers which gave us more scores and a gilt edge chance to take the lead at half time when we spurned a goal opportunity... Had we went at them again who knows we still could have lost by 13 but at least they would have had a go at them

bannside

I get that MR, this gives me no pleasure at all, we all hoped for better. Every team can have a bad day too, I get that as well. However I just don't see progress on the field of play. I don't see a good defensive system - holes everywhere, people chasing shadows,  I see nothing to like in our forward play, players out of position, poor fitness....the list goes on.

Look, let's be very honest here. Lennys Antrim two years ago would have put up a better performance. And lets remember, that was against a team that WON Ulster.

Take all the emotion of of this, the family connections, the experience or lack of it, the fact management were all undisputed class acts on the pitch, and ask yourself a question.

If this was Jody or Frank Dawson or anyone of about half a dozen other managers there would be an almighty kick up. Yes or No?

Question is - can the combined management and squad kick on again, find their mojo? Hey maybe they can, but big changes are needed.

country bumpkin

Seems a few within are bitterly disappointed on Saturday shit show.
But look inside and consider why we have reason to have been positive..

Have we a thriving club scene....NO
We're there individuals who did not agree to join the panel..Yes
Can we name any I individual who would have made a difference.....No

My old friend Oliver Kelly RIP told me once "lose the fundamental, lose the argument".

If I have answered the above correctly we do not have the right to expect championship success....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2022, 05:24:32 PM
I get that MR, this gives me no pleasure at all, we all hoped for better. Every team can have a bad day too, I get that as well. However I just don't see progress on the field of play. I don't see a good defensive system - holes everywhere, people chasing shadows,  I see nothing to like in our forward play, players out of position, poor fitness....the list goes on.

Look, let's be very honest here. Lennys Antrim two years ago would have put up a better performance. And lets remember, that was against a team that WON Ulster.

Take all the emotion of of this, the family connections, the experience or lack of it, the fact management were all undisputed class acts on the pitch, and ask yourself a question.

If this was Jody or Frank Dawson or anyone of about half a dozen other managers there would be an almighty kick up. Yes or No?

Question is - can the combined management and squad kick on again, find their mojo? Hey maybe they can, but big changes are needed.

Look we all know if it was someone else managing them the thread would be bouncing with posts of "get them out" but obviously that's not going to happen and refreshing to see

bannside

You know what, I'm not calling for their heads either!

Management is a journey, but it can be a steep one. Lessons do need to be learned though. With some hard thinking and surgery further progress could indeed be made. I have made my opinion clear, happy to dial down the rhetoric and let things take their course.

As long everyone is on the level here that's ok, let's call a spade a spade and not a digging implement.