Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Managers are mixing it up more nowadays. First it was all out attack, then all defensive...good managers are finding the balance between the two.

On every team I would have at least two defenders who are earmarked  to go toe to toe with a designated dangerman, and always have at least three all moving forwards who can provide quality long ball options.

You rarely see the three four five phase run anymore. All you see now is one or two straight line runs and give up if ball dosent come in. Not nearly enough.

Relying on one forward (Odhran) was never ever going to work. I'd have played Conor Murray on top of the keeper (as Cavan did with Paddy Clarke, starting runs from there) with Ryan playing off the brother, coming in from the right on his good foot. Surely these are the most basic things we are talking about.

Around the middle third we need 8 or 9 absolute workhorses, ability to do the required km, and fit to play the running game that suits us. Unfortunately we had two or three in this category who looked very uncomfortable in providing this function. Conor Stewarts first meaningful match all season, come on, that's just downright wrong.

With tweaking and some common sense management and players could regroup and have a lash, but if it hasn't been done to date, I fear it's not going to happen. If you can't see it in the first place how can you be expected to fix it.

Lár na páirce 1

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2022, 10:11:11 AM
Managers are mixing it up more nowadays. First it was all out attack, then all defensive...good managers are finding the balance between the two.

On every team I would have at least two defenders who are earmarked  to go toe to toe with a designated dangerman, and always have at least three all moving forwards who can provide quality long ball options.

You rarely see the three four five phase run anymore. All you see now is one or two straight line runs and give up if ball dosent come in. Not nearly enough.

Relying on one forward (Odhran) was never ever going to work. I'd have played Conor Murray on top of the keeper (as Cavan did with Paddy Clarke, starting runs from there) with Ryan playing off the brother, coming in from the right on his good foot. Surely these are the most basic things we are talking about.

Around the middle third we need 8 or 9 absolute workhorses, ability to do the required km, and fit to play the running game that suits us. Unfortunately we had two or three in this category who looked very uncomfortable in providing this function. Conor Stewarts first meaningful match all season, come on, that's just downright wrong.

With tweaking and some common sense management and players could regroup and have a lash, but if it hasn't been done to date, I fear it's not going to happen. If you can't see it in the first place how can you be expected to fix it.

Who could have matched and better their no.11? Christ I wouldn't have liked to have my picture taken beside him never mind marking him!! He showed for every ball and collected most of them. The ball also stuck when it went in, very rarely did they fumble or make those minor mistakes. direct running too.

The level was way above what we have encountered in the league. The physical side of things needs improving, hopefully its heads down over the winter and build on the strength and conditioning they have started. To be honest I wouldn't put much effort into this new competition
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Oisín McConville berating the lack of crowd and atmosphere on Sunday on Hihgland Radio compared with Ballybofey. Remind me again why we need Casement where is is proposed?

Antrim Coaster

The Casement project is out of Antrim's hands.

Its the Ulster Council who are managing the project and are mainly responsible for the mess which presently exists.

If the upcoming ruling goes against the Casement upgrade then Antrim will be left with no decent county ground thanks to the horseshite attitude of the Ulster Council

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on April 26, 2022, 11:13:00 AM
The Casement project is out of Antrim's hands.

Its the Ulster Council who are managing the project and are mainly responsible for the mess which presently exists.

If the upcoming ruling goes against the Casement upgrade then Antrim will be left with no decent county ground thanks to the horseshite attitude of the Ulster Council

Can we 'buy' it back if the case goes against it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Is the match being streamed tonight ;)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 11:19:29 AM

Sure why don't you go down to it  would pass the evening
I'm sure you'll be welcome
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 26, 2022, 11:38:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 11:19:29 AM

Sure why don't you go down to it  would pass the evening
I'm sure you'll be welcome

I've walked into worse grounds on my own, sure its just banter  ;D

Flanker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2022, 10:37:00 AM
Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2022, 10:11:11 AM

Who could have matched and better their no.11? Christ I wouldn't have liked to have my picture taken beside him never mind marking him!! He showed for every ball and collected most of them. The ball also stuck when it went in, very rarely did they fumble or make those minor mistakes. direct running too.

The level was way above what we have encountered in the league. The physical side of things needs improving, hopefully its heads down over the winter and build on the strength and conditioning they have started. To be honest I wouldn't put much effort into this new competition
At this level and given he has been one of their talismen for 10-12 years now most setups would adapt their defensive structure to limit his influence and that of other key forwards. That is assuming you have a defensive structure. Its about numbers in the right areas, discipline, Trust, contesting and swarming when the opportunity arises, not contesting the uncontestable..........How you setup, communicate and what your triggers are come down to the strategy of the coaching setup assuming they have a stategy. Thank God he can't kick with his right foot

Sportacus

If there was an All Ireland Senior, Intermediate and Junior, we'd be in Junior and it would be the best place for us. Tailteann is unrealistic for us as well unfortunately. Some decent early league performances don't mask the overall state we are still in. 

antrimman667

I hope McGinley gets the boot after that on Saturday wasn't worth the entrance fee

NatSoSaff

Tyrdub

Quote from: antrimman667 on April 26, 2022, 01:23:39 PM
I hope McGinley gets the boot after that on Saturday wasn't worth the entrance fee

right, which one of you put 50p in the idiot?

Would ye whist

As much as it saddens me to say it we have a real discipline issue in the county with players mouthing off to officials, my own club man has gotten away with it for years but on Saturday he got the lesson intercounty refs will not stand for it and picked up a silly yellow for it and then a justified second yellow

I am in no way justifying the poor performance of the ref on Saturday, however it appears the basics are missing