Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Look-Up!

Bit of a punt is putting it mildly but from the very start of the process the word on the street was that chairman was very keen on him and pushed it from the off. I'd have zero faith in this chairman BTW.

Backroom team looks ok if they stay as is and work together. Like any management team in any walk of life the person at the top sets the tone and it can't be overstated how crucial a role of manager is. Very strong people skills required, that's where I'd worry. If it goes pear shaped I'd also worry this chairman won't act. But he's in now and best of luck to him. If he can get us playing well, integrate new players and achieve decent results people with jump onboard very quickly.

marty34

Manager is important but need a real good committed panel of players to develop.

Need a 3 year plan.

1st Year - consolidate league position/get promotion (dependent on county)

Year 2 - progress from Year 1, whatever that is.

Limerick have great management team - Kiely, Kinnerk, Currid etc. but it should be remembered that they have a special, once-in-a-lifetime set of players, who, incidentially, came through a great academy.

Cavan need to be patient and progress slowly.

Look-Up!

Every situation is different. Sometimes patience is required, sometimes proactivity.

This is a complete and utter leap of faith. If it blows up spectacularly, patience will be a forgone conclusion and I don't believe this chairman will admit mistake. That's my big worry and could have disastrous consequences for player drop off and commitment.

Look-Up!

The die is cast at this stage anyway.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Look-Up! on August 25, 2023, 10:02:21 AM
Every situation is different. Sometimes patience is required, sometimes proactivity.

This is a complete and utter leap of faith. If it blows up spectacularly, patience will be a forgone conclusion and I don't believe this chairman will admit mistake. That's my big worry and could have disastrous consequences for player drop off and commitment.

No harm in trying something though. We've done all the other options with varying levels of failure. For the modicum of success Hyland brought to stabilise, and then the early success of Graham with 2 Ulster finals and 1 win, we've had our share of McGleenans, McElkennon, Andrews etc too. It's the first time in a while we've backed a home manager after a home manager. Simply don't see anything about an outside manager that works for what we need. It might blow up, but I'd rather this than the usual journey men who want the job to tick a box for themselves. Think this setup has enough going for it to work, and at least they're trying something

Look-Up!

Sure you could say that about anything. Trying something different works sometimes, other times it's just a buzz word for covering up some foolhardy cockamamie endeavour. Or they could just grab the bull by the horns, put a decent plan/vision in place and go out and put all their efforts in finding someone to tie it all together.

Look-Up!

Gowna v Kingscourt final. Gowna very impressive Sunday evening as much as Crosserlough were desperately disappointing. There's a core of 7 or 8 players there for Gowna that have the size, grit, mobility and ball skills fit for IC. Whether they commit to Cavan is another thing. Couldn't say the same about their opponents. Apart from Rehill and the two kids in Boylan and Lovett, there's a few there need to ask themselves some serious questions. Fair enough some things went against them. Referee was a big help to Gowna early on and their kickouts completely malfunctioned but that's part and parcel of any game. Instead of digging in they mentally checked out. Felt very sorry for their young goalkeeper, got absolutely no help from his more experienced team mates. Can't see what else Higgins can do with them. Despite all the hype there's a huge question mark over their future credentials and whether there's actually another title in them.

Kingscourt should put up a good battle in the final. Coming in under the radar and ticking along nicely. I actually missed most of the game but they got a good core of players there with plenty of size and experience. Ramor are not what they used to be but still a tough nut to crack. But they've lost too much up front in Brady, McEvoy, Cadden with Cole on the wane, to be serious contenders. Caffrey a huge huge loss round the middle too. 

Lacken back to intermediate. Tough battle in Mullahoran Sunday. Close for long periods but Mullahoran showed more on the day. Some of the young lads off the bench were excellent and Cormac O'Reilly was brilliant. Was the difference in the end. Lacken probably deserve to be there. They've run the gauntlet long enough where relegation is concerned and the well finally ran dry this year. Still will be a serious outfit for intermediate and probably not a bad place to blood some fresh legs.

Could be two crackers in store for next weekend. Arva too good for Junior but Knockbride are a coming team and hopefully put it up to them. Denn a very good young team with plenty of experience and power too. Ballyhaise need to win you feel so serious pressure on them. Should make for great entertainment. 

Look-Up!

Good wins for Arva and Ballyhaise at weekend.

Arva too strong for Knockbride, working some nice scores with some very impressive performers on the day. Knockbride made a battle of it to stay in touch but you always felt Arva were in control.

Very disappointing intermediate final played in perfect conditions for football. Don't want to be too critical but it was truly awful error ridden stuff at times. Denn showed nothing but were still well in the game before midway through the second half when Ballyhaise had a purple patch, reeling off a run of scores to put the game to bed. Ballyhaise the much bigger side and it told in the end with Denn struggling badly to make any sort of inroads past the opposition 50. You always felt the men in green and gold had a few more gears in them, though they never got out of first and made it very uncomfortable viewing for their followers for 50 mins or so. 

Itchy

Well that's a shocking draw for Cavan in Ulster. I don't recall ever seeing a worse one.

Denn Forever

Is the new manager Raymond Galligan?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Itchy on October 21, 2023, 06:05:11 PMWell that's a shocking draw for Cavan in Ulster. I don't recall ever seeing a worse one.
Absolute nightmare.

We've had our fair share of soft ones too, tbf. The only good thing is that, if it wasn't the case already, it will really focus minds on the league and the need to hit the ground running in Division 2 to secure a run in the Sam Maguire. After that, anything we do in the Ulster SFC is a nice bonus.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on October 21, 2023, 06:05:11 PMWell that's a shocking draw for Cavan in Ulster. I don't recall ever seeing a worse one.
I don't think it could be worse if they tried. Need to potentially beat 4 Division 1 teams to win Ulster (that's if Armagh go up a few months before). Sure look, just give it a rattle. We always get it up for Monaghan and if that focusses the mind, we might get somewhere or at least be ready for hopefully a Sam Maguire campaign after an expected Ulster exit. See how lopsided Munster is though and how they seed their draw isn't right though. If the prize for all provinces is 2 spots for their finalists, then there needs to be some sort of alignment in structure as much as possible.

Look-Up!

Serious performance from Gowna in final, Kingscourt had no answer once they let in that stupid 2-1. Thought the loss of Conor Brady might give the stars some sort of foothold back again but Gowna became even more dominant. They looked overloaded every time they went forward. 5 goals is an unusual haul but they could have got double that if they were pushed. Young team full of running, football and divilment, if they stick together will be a force for years. Ulster another matter though, slow starts won't do there. Interesting to gauge exactly where Cavan club football's at when they meet Donegal champions.   

Really tough draw next year for Cavan although form and position mean nothing when Cavan and Monaghan meet. But if we do get over them that's as far as it goes. I'd be worried about next year TBH, really not expecting much. We'll see what the buy in to squad is like. Might not be so easy enticing lads into it but we do need fresh legs and faces. Beating Louth and Fermanagh would go a long way to securing Div 2 status and on the face of it doesn't sound so daunting but we'll see. Wouldn't be overly disappointed to be in TC especially if it's a largely new team and we give it a serious go.   

cavanmaniac

Well lads, any news leaking out about the new county setup yet? Any additions, subtraction, losses, gains or new developments?

Itchy

So I've heard Cavan played Dublin in a challenge and were hammered 6-13 to 0-7. I think they also played Sligo and drew with them.

Derry in McKenna Cup tomorrow will tell us more.

I think we really need to go for it in the league, The championship route in Ulster looks really difficult. We need to make sure we are mid table Div 2 minimum.