Redux Connacht final 2018 thread

Started by GalwayBayBoy, June 18, 2018, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Game was less than 24 hours ago so there is probably stuff people want to chat about for the next couple days yet. Do so here. Or don't. Whatever makes you happy.

Jinxy

I think we need official permission from Rossfan first.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

What are the positives from a Ros point of view? I think it's easy to say they weren't good enough and ignore what can be built on. Ros have a recent history of not following up on Connacht titles. Winning one next year- what is required? Or a 5 year plan- what would it look like ?  Momentum is often down to psychology. So is winning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

Closing the thread petty to say the least.

I think GBB was talking about Daly potentially coming in at 11? As great as that'd be to see, I dont think there's quite enough time for Daly to force his way back in, although I do think McHugh will drop out. Flynn and Conroy got cleaned at midfield in the defeat to Kerry last year so I'd imagine Duggan will come in with Conroy moving to 11, same as the Mayo game. Conroy's not going well but I think he has enough goodwill built up to keep his place, and is one of the few elder leaders in the side.

Dinny Breen

Re: Connacht Senior Championship 2018
« Reply #524 on: Today at 01:20:36 PM »
Quote from: Dinny Breen on Today at 01:17:18 PM

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on Today at 01:04:48 PM

Quote from: Dinny Breen on Today at 12:53:04 PM

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on Today at 12:48:55 PM

How was Comer not booked for the cheap shot on the Roscommon goalie?

It was a straight red card in any other sport, pretty late and no mitigating circumstances. The goalie should have undergone an independent HIA as well.

To be fair I think he was 100% going for the ball and the keeper just got there ahead of him. Certainly a booking but I think a straight red would have been pretty harsh.

Na, his fist arrived well after the ball, he knew exactly what he was doing. He was leaving a marker but caught him sweet, was there much difference between that one and Cluxton last week?

Well the Longford player never attempted a play on the ball at all. Comer did so I'd say there is a fair old difference alright. It was a bit late and arguably reckless but there wasn't enough there for a straight red for me. Even the Roscommon players around didn't seem overly bothered by it.

Comer didn't intend to play the ball either, he made a better mask of hiding his intent though. He actually made superb contact. It was a red all day, I can see why it wasn't given though.

#newbridgeornowhere

Stan Laurel

Rossfan took the ball and ran home because it didn't go his way.

Jinxy

That Longford player had literally no business going for that ball.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

What was the story with the sideline concrete bench seating, down the side the penalty was given? Was completely empty in that area, could easily have fit about 1000 people sitting there. There were plenty of kids in the terrace who wouldve been far better served sitting there rather than their parents putting them sitting up on the railings blocking the view of everyone behind. The sideline bench seating sold out afaik?

Maroon Manc

Roscommon had 2 poor wides and they were from Kilroy and Fintan Cregg and neither of them were just after half time, the rest were from difficult angles and outside the D.

Roscommon didn't score from play in the final 50 minutes and only mustered a one free in that time, they really struggled to create good scoring opportunities.

All Shane Walsh's free's were close to the 21 as were all the points from play in that 2nd half apart from Walsh's 1st point of the 2nd half.

It really doesn't fit the narrative that Roscommon threw the game away, they put themselves in a great position at half time but thats about it. There was a huge gulf in the teams in that 2nd half.

Galway with plenty of work to do going forward but at the beginning of the season if you'd told me we'd go unbeaten in the league and get to the league final and then beat Mayo and win the Connacht title beating the Rossies I'd be absolutely delighted.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Manning18 on June 18, 2018, 02:46:23 PM
What was the story with the sideline concrete bench seating, down the side the penalty was given? Was completely empty in that area, could easily have fit about 1000 people sitting there. There were plenty of kids in the terrace who wouldve been far better served sitting there rather than their parents putting them sitting up on the railings blocking the view of everyone behind. The sideline bench seating sold out afaik?

Its a stadium that holds about 28,000 was always going to have near empty parts in the ground. The terrace was near full because tickets were cheaper i'd agree the kids should have been allowed over to the sideline seating especially for the 2nd half to prove health and safety matters...

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2018, 03:00:31 PM
Roscommon had 2 poor wides and they were from Kilroy and Fintan Cregg and neither of them were just after half time, the rest were from difficult angles and outside the D.

Roscommon didn't score from play in the final 50 minutes and only mustered a one free in that time, they really struggled to create good scoring opportunities.

All Shane Walsh's free's were close to the 21 as were all the points from play in that 2nd half apart from Walsh's 1st point of the 2nd half.

It really doesn't fit the narrative that Roscommon threw the game away, they put themselves in a great position at half time but thats about it. There was a huge gulf in the teams in that 2nd half.

Galway with plenty of work to do going forward but at the beginning of the season if you'd told me we'd go unbeaten in the league and get to the league final and then beat Mayo and win the Connacht title beating the Rossies I'd be absolutely delighted.

Putting themselves in a great position and not kicking on is where Roscommon will be kicking themselves they have forwards well capable of kicking long range points as proved in last years final for whatever reason it didn't work out for them yesterday. For the huge gulf as suggested Galway still only won that game in injury time i think a better side than Galway would put the rossies away much sooner.

You are right plenty of work to be done for Galway before the last eight, their strength is their defensive system now and they gave away near 30 scoring changes yesterday and two goals do that against Kerry next and Galway will be beaten by a bit to spare.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2018, 03:00:31 PM

I would have been happy with surviving in D1. Winning Connacht is great as long as we don't get a gutting later on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rudi

Galway were the better team. We were in a winning position at half time , but the early string of poor misses drained the confidence from us. A lot of pure cynical thug type stuff from Galway all over the field, its a cancer in the game and needs to be stopped. Niall kilroy in particular took awful abuse, with a poor referee looking on and doing nothing. That said when the game was in the melting pot Galway stood up and got some decent scores against a tricky wind. Our defence did pretty well considering they are our weak link, we could still have done with Mullolly and Collins.
It all depends now on who we get in round 4, avoid Mayo and Tyrone and we should have a good chance, as hopefully the lads will feel they have something to prove after a horrible second half. Compton was a huge loss.

Baggio90

Roscommon are very limited. Unless they get a very favourable draw I don't see them getting into the Super 8s and I think it would be for the best of everyone if they don't.

I couldn't understand the tactics of Galway in the first half, just stood off Roscommon and let them do what they wanted for the whole first half with a strong breeze in their back. They could afford to get aggressive and give fouls out the pitch with that wind, it was very much unlikely much points would be scored from the 45.

In the second half they got a bit more agressive and outscored Roscommon 11 scores to 2 with a strong gust in their back and that was with Galway's main man having a stinker.

Still can't get any real read on Galway, I don't think they are good enough to make the last 4 but a lot of that will depend on who else is in their group. Good chance Mayo, Monaghan or Tyrone could fall along the way.

Hound

Interesting analysis by Parkinson, who was at the game.

Said TV viewers were completely misled by Brolly (who said Galway played defensive tactics in the first half, and abandoned those tactics in the second).

Parkinson said Galway's tactics hardly changed at all! The difference was they just played much better in the second half. In the 1st they turned over more ball, and in particular their final ball and shooting was poor. Roscommon attacked relatively slowly with the ball (understandable against the wind), which allowed Galway get players back.

Second half, Galway dominated midfield and were far more clinical. But the set up was the same.

According to Wooly anyway!