Jim Gavin joins up with Mickey Harte

Started by seafoid, February 14, 2018, 02:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 16, 2018, 10:41:46 AM
Is this just not a symptom of a wider issue, Martin O'Neill, Jim Gavin, Mickey Harte, Joe Schmidt are all intelligent articulate men yet of all have taking umbrage with the Irish media at certain stages.

RTE's coverage is always negative, ffs they tweeted a 2/3 minute analysis from Tomas O'Se on the Tyrone/Kildare game calling Tyrone too defensive and negative and Kildare clueless, poor click bait shit.
And Newspapers are a dying media and are trying to be more and more sensationalist and see sport as an opportunity to drive that sensationalism. You have the Examiners Brendan O'Brien whinging about the IRFU and censorship on Off The Ball, yet Newstalk ban Irish Times journalists, the hypocrisy of these guys is unbelievable.

This is sport after all, not politics. Sport is the bridge between reality and dreams and a lot of the Irish media need to remember that for vast majority of the population sport is escapism, yes highlight issues but stopping doing it in such a way as if it is the most important thing in the world, it's not....

That stopped following Bertie's intervention. Didn't he allocate special funding to Dublin GAA while Taoiseach.

easytiger95

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 16, 2018, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on February 16, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
very curious story - the Dublin v Tyrone game is broadcast live on Eir, so if they wanted a DVD of the high behind camera it would be Eir they would be asking (and it is a very standard request - most IC teams look for it when they are playing a live TV fixture).

I'd say this is garbled up a bit - maybe it relates to DVD provision during last year's championship, because it makes no sense as Eir and TG4 are the rights holders.

What I have heard its not matches involving Dublin that are being requested, EIR don't have camera's at every Div 1 and 2 match like RTE have and I also believe its the high up behind the goal angle camera that EIR don't use.

Greatest, RTE do not have cameras at every Div 1 and Div 2 game - see the Sunday Game thread to see that explained exhaustively.

I could see Eir not using the high behind position if they wanted to save money on cameras - they are not obligated to use it - but then Gavin's beef should be with them, not RTE?

I think this is either a story getting confused or blown up beyond proportion.

TheGreatest

Quote from: easytiger95 on February 16, 2018, 03:31:09 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 16, 2018, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on February 16, 2018, 10:38:16 AM
very curious story - the Dublin v Tyrone game is broadcast live on Eir, so if they wanted a DVD of the high behind camera it would be Eir they would be asking (and it is a very standard request - most IC teams look for it when they are playing a live TV fixture).

I'd say this is garbled up a bit - maybe it relates to DVD provision during last year's championship, because it makes no sense as Eir and TG4 are the rights holders.

What I have heard its not matches involving Dublin that are being requested, EIR don't have camera's at every Div 1 and 2 match like RTE have and I also believe its the high up behind the goal angle camera that EIR don't use.

Greatest, RTE do not have cameras at every Div 1 and Div 2 game - see the Sunday Game thread to see that explained exhaustively.

I could see Eir not using the high behind position if they wanted to save money on cameras - they are not obligated to use it - but then Gavin's beef should be with them, not RTE?

I think this is either a story getting confused or blown up beyond proportion.

Possibly. Maybe there's more to it than just DVDs, but I do not its in particular to games not involving Dublin.

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 16, 2018, 10:41:46 AM
Is this just not a symptom of a wider issue, Martin O'Neill, Jim Gavin, Mickey Harte, Joe Schmidt are all intelligent articulate men yet of all have taking umbrage with the Irish media at certain stages.

RTE's coverage is always negative, ffs they tweeted a 2/3 minute analysis from Tomas O'Se on the Tyrone/Kildare game calling Tyrone too defensive and negative and Kildare clueless, poor click bait shit.
And Newspapers are a dying media and are trying to be more and more sensationalist and see sport as an opportunity to drive that sensationalism. You have the Examiners Brendan O'Brien whinging about the IRFU and censorship on Off The Ball, yet Newstalk ban Irish Times journalists, the hypocrisy of these guys is unbelievable.

This is sport after all, not politics. Sport is the bridge between reality and dreams and a lot of the Irish media need to remember that for vast majority of the population sport is escapism, yes highlight issues but stopping doing it in such a way as if it is the most important thing in the world, it's not....
Tomas said about Kildare  "They seem to play cluelessly at times".
And that was a mild comment considering just how clueless and naive Kildare were in the last 15 minutes, compared to Tyrone.

BennyCake

Managers are control freaks. That's why this is happening, and why players are told to say nothing in interviews. The game is suffering too because of it. Fans hear feck all. Kids need these fellas to look up to. They need to be in the spotlight. County football has become so mindnumbingly bland and serious it's turning people off.

Why doesn't each county have a spin doctor/media entertainer/bullshitter, saying stuff in pre-match interviews like... We have one injury, I'm not saying who, but he has an A in his name. We called off the S&C training Wednesday night and helped Farmer Brown unload his trailer of square bales instead. Sure it's just as good. The squad gatecrashed a stag do Last night and most of them are still poleaxed so I wouldn't expect a big performance today.

There may be a grain of truth in the odd statement but it wouldn't be any more bluffing than what goes on already from managers re: injuries, loss of form, players dropped etc.

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on February 16, 2018, 10:32:51 AM
Quote from: redzone on February 16, 2018, 10:24:44 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 16, 2018, 10:11:43 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 16, 2018, 12:26:09 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 15, 2018, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: trileacman on February 15, 2018, 02:04:15 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 14, 2018, 08:45:22 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 14, 2018, 08:41:56 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 14, 2018, 08:34:46 PM
It was really just rte saying f**k off Harte and keep your nose out of our business. Couldn't blame them for it although they could have done it with a bit  more tact.

Their response taking the piss out of him trying to influence Carty's position was right.

Playing the song and the reference/connection to Michaela was beyond awful and if they were truly sorry, the RTE Director General and Head of Sport would've been on Harte's doorstep the next day.

I really dont believe it was a reference to Michaela... Jesus! no way.

It may not have been deliberate but still doesn't excuse the fact it was in very poor taste. Look at Barry Mc elduff and kingsmilgate, it may not have been deliberate but all the same a simple apology couldn't take it back. Same in this case of hartes and RTÉ.

Yeah I think McElduff should not have been cast into the wilderness. I dont see why players are also made to not speak to RTE if Mickey doesnt want to fair enough. If was so deeply held conviction by players they would still hold the line after their Tyrone careers were over. Harte was furious with Cavanagh and others for going on RTE after and I know thats true from one of them.

It's all part of being part of the team, supporting each other, togetherness etc. Fairly common in team sports. Tyrone lads still don't have beards you know. Once they made the commitment to beards they weren't committed for the rest of their lives. Once they left the team they were free to shave. Though Ricey does seem to want to keep his.

There's a difference between a player giving a bland comment after a game on behalf of the team and a player being a paid analyst on the Sunday Game and not part of the team anymore.

Cavanagh within 24 hours on RTE some team bond that   ::)  Harte was furious. In 2008 most of them didn't grow beards as it was not compulsory

Christ. You just don't want to accept why they are doing it. How long do u think cavanagh should have kept up his ban, bare in mind he had a media career ahead of him

there you go: principled stand v £s

It's not necessarily about a principled stand. It's about being part of a team, who stick together etc etc. Hard to fathom from the outside but a vital part of what happens within the team circle. RTÉ's analysts subsequent behaviour and comments about Tyrone made it a fairly easy common enemy.
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 17, 2018, 12:27:16 AM
It was really just rte saying f**k off Harte and keep your nose out of our business. Couldn't blame them for it although they could have done it with a bit  more tact.

Their response taking the piss out of him trying to influence Carty's position was right.

Playing the song and the reference/connection to Michaela was beyond awful and if they were truly sorry, the RTE Director General and Head of Sport would've been on Harte's doorstep the next day.

It may not have been deliberate but still doesn't excuse the fact it was in very poor taste. Look at Barry Mc elduff and kingsmilgate, it may not have been deliberate but all the same a simple apology couldn't take it back. Same in this case of hartes and RTÉ.

Yeah I think McElduff should not have been cast into the wilderness. I dont see why players are also made to not speak to RTE if Mickey doesnt want to fair enough. If was so deeply held conviction by players they would still hold the line after their Tyrone careers were over. Harte was furious with Cavanagh and others for going on RTE after and I know thats true from one of them.

It's all part of being part of the team, supporting each other, togetherness etc. Fairly common in team sports. Tyrone lads still don't have beards you know. Once they made the commitment to beards they weren't committed for the rest of their lives. Once they left the team they were free to shave. Though Ricey does seem to want to keep his.

There's a difference between a player giving a bland comment after a game on behalf of the team and a player being a paid analyst on the Sunday Game and not part of the team anymore.

Cavanagh within 24 hours on RTE some team bond that   ::)  Harte was furious. In 2008 most of them didn't grow beards as it was not compulsory

Christ. You just don't want to accept why they are doing it. How long do u think cavanagh should have kept up his ban, bare in mind he had a media career ahead of him

It's not necessarily about a principled stand. It's about being part of a team, who stick together etc etc. Hard to fathom from the outside but a vital part of what happens within the team circle. RTÉ's analysts subsequent behaviour and comments about Tyrone made it a fairly easy common enemy.

Sean was very forgiving and he got worst abuse off RTE panelist  :)

redzone

Quote from: longballin on February 17, 2018, 12:43:56 AM

Can't believe you would actually compare the two.

longballin

Quote from: redzone on February 17, 2018, 07:49:30 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 17, 2018, 12:43:56 AM

Can't believe you would actually compare the two.

I didnt compare the two. Am pointing out that the idea of RTE being big enemy of the players obviosly not how Sean felt... or other players who also went on RTE after they left Tyrone panel.

BennyHarp

Sean doesn't have to like them to take their money. A career in TV media is attractive to players and there's very few opportunities and a limited window for retired players while they are still high profile. So Sean is right to strike while the iron is hot. Pursuing a career in the media for yourself is a different thing than giving a 10 second interview on behalf of your team after a game. Sean is taking the opportunity afforded to him and fair play to him. But he is not speaking on behalf of the current Tyrone team who have chosen as a group not to co-operate with RTÉ. I really don't think it's that hard to make the distinction. Personally I'm glad Sean is doing the work for RTE, he is an articulate guy and maybe can offer a more balanced approach to how Tyrone are portrayed. Will be interesting to see if he gets a live Tyrone game with Mr Brolly.

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 17, 2018, 09:29:59 AM
Sean doesn't have to like them to take their money. A career in TV media is attractive to players and there's very few opportunities and a limited window for retired players while they are still high profile. So Sean is right to strike while the iron is hot. Pursuing a career in the media for yourself is a different thing than giving a 10 second interview on behalf of your team after a game. Sean is taking the opportunity afforded to him and fair play to him. But he is not speaking on behalf of the current Tyrone team who have chosen as a group not to co-operate with RTÉ. I really don't think it's that hard to make the distinction. Personally I'm glad Sean is doing the work for RTE, he is an articulate guy and maybe can offer a more balanced approach to how Tyrone are portrayed. Will be interesting to see if he gets a live Tyrone game with Mr Brolly.

Mickey was furious Sean went on RTE hours after Dublin defeat... he'd lost control of him. Anyway outside of Tyrone I
dont think anyone cares now and hope of snubbing the All Ireland banquet now forlorn. Damp squib protest as this stage.

trileacman

Quote from: longballin on February 17, 2018, 10:41:26 AM

Mickey was furious Sean went on RTE hours after Dublin defeat... he'd lost control of him. Anyway outside of Tyrone I
dont think anyone cares now and hope of snubbing the All Ireland banquet now forlorn. Damp squib protest as this stage.

It's f**king bizzare how much you care about Tyrone not talking to RTE.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

longballin

Quote from: trileacman on February 17, 2018, 10:31:53 PM

You're the one who is swearing. I dont lose sleep over it or go crazy with anger when RTE is mentioned  8)

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on February 18, 2018, 12:27:41 AM

You're the one who is swearing. I dont lose sleep over it or go crazy with anger when RTE is mentioned  8)

He says at half past midnight!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 18, 2018, 07:38:41 AM
Quote from: longballin on February 18, 2018, 12:27:41 AM

He says at half past midnight!

Are you not allowed to stay up late on a Saturday night?