Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

activegael

Any word on the managerial merry-go-round or has it yet to start?

downjim

Ireland's greatest club player is away to the Stone

crice123

I'm pretty sure Jackie lynch is stil at drumgath jim?

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Down Follower on November 15, 2017, 11:06:19 AM
Quote from: gaaman2016 on November 15, 2017, 09:15:19 AM
Ulster and All Ireland Intermediate is a funny one

In 2015 we won our first three match's at a canter and in the final we won on a scoreline of 4-01 to 0-10. We finished 2nd in Division 2 that year and most of the teams we played would have been Division 2 teams aswell. At that stage we had 16 team  divisions but some of the teams we played only had 8 in a division. In terms of league position we were the 18th best team in Down but in other counties, the team we were playing were 9/10th in their respective county

When we got through to the All Ireland Final, the team we played from Mayo had finished 2nd in Division 1 and from a physical point of view where a completely different animal to anything we faced in Ulster where apart from the Ulster final (which was played in horrible conditions in Owenbeg) we tore every team to shreds by at least 10 points.

We lost by 5 from what I recall and the Mayo team then got well beat by the Kerry team a couple of weeks later.

If the Mayo team that beat us was in Down, I would say they would have easily have been a top 4 side

Every county seems to have their own take on Senior v Intermediate.  This is shown by the Rostrevor v Milford game.  Rostrevor finished 2nd in Div 2, effectively ranked 14 in Down, but were intermediate by finishing 4th in Div 2 last year, while Milford finished 8th in Div 1 in Donegal this year after getting promoted last year.  They would have been in senior championship in Down this year.

The Moy came 7th in Division 2 making them the 23rd best team in Tyrone, you'd think based on that Rostrevor would be the favourites for Sunday.

downjim

How are our schools doing this year so far?? Coverage is not so good, do schools not have Pro's?

Targetman

Full attendances and A stars all round!!

downjim

Tullylish won south Down club of the year???? Hmmmmm

Smurfy123

Your not happy the United Nations didn't get it?
At least a few of your players can celebrate that clownjim
Many clubs have you got linking into Burren
CPN TULLYLISH ROSTREVOR CROSSMAGLEN GLENN SHAMROCKS

downjim

It's fully deserved after their emphatic div 3 league win playing an attacking brand of football.

elk

Rostrevor beaten by a point, good effort but just not good enough. Will be interesting to see how they fair in division one next year

Smurfy123

People need to put some perspective on Rostrevors defeat today
Moy are rated as the 24th best team in Tyrone as per league standings(yes missing 2 Cavanagh for 5 matches )
The 24th ranked team in Down is Drumeness
I don't buy into this massive underdogs tag that the perceived themselves to be today
Good run for Rostrevor but they are not an intermediate team
6 minor titles in 15 years and 1 Ulster minor something not right
Que the backlash

Targetman

Great win for Kilcoo u16's to beat Crossmaglen and win the Paul Mc Girr tournament

befair

Moy were just that bit cuter; the two red cards were typical Tyrone Tumbles, and delaying their return for the 2nd half while Rostrevor were out on the field for 5 minutes getting cold was a smart call. But we shot too many wides, which was really the difference between the teams. I think we'll compete well in the first division next year, tho we are a long way off Kilcoo and Burren, who are far ahead of the rest. In the long-term we will struggle, more due to population demographics than anything else; house prices high, many of our senior players now living in other villages etc. The most regrettable aspect is that we didn't make the most of our minor teams in the first decade of the 2000s, but young people have to travel now to make a living. Out of one minor championship winning team, 14 are now in the US or Australia, tho I guess most clubs will have to confront that reality
This year was a qualified success; getting promoted was a modest ambition, and really the only strong teams we encountered in the intermediate champion were in the Ulster semi-final and final

thewobbler

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 26, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
People need to put some perspective on Rostrevors defeat today
Moy are rated as the 24th best team in Tyrone as per league standings(yes missing 2 Cavanagh for 5 matches )
The 24th ranked team in Down is Drumeness
I don't buy into this massive underdogs tag that the perceived themselves to be today
Good run for Rostrevor but they are not an intermediate team
6 minor titles in 15 years and 1 Ulster minor something not right
Que the backlash

As long as you impeccably high standards in everything you personally do, then you're entitled to have an opinion like this.

I do think though that the majority of us would be delighted with reaching an Ulster final, at any level.

activegael

I heard Bryansford on the market for a new manager -  Burns and thorntan quit last week, players not happy as there's more to it than the reasons given. Must be a major problem in Bryansford.
Won't be long until them two are with someone else.
Any truth in Bernie ruane away to Glenn?