GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 02, 2014, 01:16:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 02, 2014, 12:18:16 PM
I love all this hard core fan talk. If you were a hard core fan then you'd have a season ticket and actually get up off your hole and go to games. If you just like to sit up and watch games of a Sunday on your armchair then surely you can wait for the Sunday Game.

If truth be told the GAA think there are too many games on free to air. They want people going to games, that's their MO.

Every game that's ever on? Including those not featuring your county?

Do you get time to watch every game thats on - even those not featuring your own county?

The first gaelic football match on Sky will be Sligo V Galway (or London) - this will have the neutrals all over britain drooling from the off!

Of course not, but I Sky Plus a good few of them, and watch a fair few. I'm just picking at the notion that if you a regular attendee at games, you are not also allowed watch the games on TV. I'm involved in coaching Kids in the club twice a week, and various other squads which take another couple of evenings. And yes, sometimes I prefer to sit on my arse and watch the game on Sunday rather than piling into the car again and heading for Tullamore or Thurles.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:20:02 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 02, 2014, 01:16:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:01:03 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 02, 2014, 12:18:16 PM
I love all this hard core fan talk. If you were a hard core fan then you'd have a season ticket and actually get up off your hole and go to games. If you just like to sit up and watch games of a Sunday on your armchair then surely you can wait for the Sunday Game.

If truth be told the GAA think there are too many games on free to air. They want people going to games, that's their MO.

Every game that's ever on? Including those not featuring your county?

Do you get time to watch every game thats on - even those not featuring your own county?

The first gaelic football match on Sky will be Sligo V Galway (or London) - this will have the neutrals all over britain drooling from the off!

Of course not, but I Sky Plus a good few of them, and watch a fair few. I'm just picking at the notion that if you a regular attendee at games, you are not also allowed watch the games on TV. I'm involved in coaching Kids in the club twice a week, and various other squads which take another couple of evenings. And yes, sometimes I prefer to sit on my arse and watch the game on Sunday rather than piling into the car again and heading for Tullamore or Thurles.

Would you Sky plus Sligo v Galway and watch every minute of the game? Or would you just fast forward through (like I often do) or watch the highlights on The Sunday Game. I dont imagine there will be too many games invovling other counties that most people will be up in arms about missing. I'd say most would settle for the highlights. Then again, I could be wrong - some of the "hard core" GAA men on here seem to want to watch every minute of every county game to show how hard core they are.
That was never a square ball!!

G@@

Quote from: johnneycool on April 02, 2014, 12:01:10 PM
Sky's exclusive matches

Provincial Championship Games

June 7 – Kilkenny v Offaly LSHC

June 14 – Dublin v Wexford or Laois/Carlow/Westmeath/Antrim/London LSHC

June 21 – Sligo v Galway/London CSFC

June 28 – Armagh/Cavan v Down/Tyrone/Monaghan (USFC)

Qualifiers

July 5 – Game D qualifiers

July 12 – Game F Qualifiers

July 19 – Games I and J

July 26 – Games G and H

August 2 – Games K and L

All-Ireland Series

August 9 – 2 x Football Quarter-Finals

TBH there's no real biggies in there for Sky barring maybe the Ulster semi-final at a push, but I suppose who knew Kilkenny would have been going through the qualifier route last year.

Fixed your post... this is going around the net and it is assuming Wexford win their quarter final first - quite offensive for anyone from the 5 counties listed in red.

Also, Sky will be showing all semi-finals and finals of the All Ireland alongside RTE.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

trileacman

It'll hurt hurling more than most, I know that I would often watch big game qualifiers and especially the Munster Championship matches if they're on a Sunday and I'm just sitting round the house. It provides me an interest into hurling which I wouldn't have otherwise. Couldn't see myself shell out money to watch them on Sky though so the interest or following I'd have for hurling will be affected as it would be in other households.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Zulu

I just can't see how anyone can complain about this and I don't buy this 'thin edge of the wedge' line at all. Looking back at some of the posts here it seems some people want free access to any GAA facility, cheaper access to games which are already very well priced IMO, and free to air TV for all televised games. Well, lets just say it's good you boys aren't in charge as it wouldn't be long before we wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

Zulu

Quote from: trileacman on April 02, 2014, 01:29:45 PM
It'll hurt hurling more than most, I know that I would often watch big game qualifiers and especially the Munster Championship matches if they're on a Sunday and I'm just sitting round the house. It provides me an interest into hurling which I wouldn't have otherwise. Couldn't see myself shell out money to watch them on Sky though so the interest or following I'd have for hurling will be affected as it would be in other households.

There's no Munster championship matches included for Sky and games like Kilkenny/Offaly would only turn a man off hurling (no offence AZ!).

johnneycool

Quote from: G@@ on April 02, 2014, 01:29:05 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 02, 2014, 12:01:10 PM
Sky's exclusive matches

Provincial Championship Games

June 7 – Kilkenny v Offaly LSHC

June 14 – Dublin v Wexford or Laois/Carlow/Westmeath/Antrim/London LSHC

June 21 – Sligo v Galway/London CSFC

June 28 – Armagh/Cavan v Down/Tyrone/Monaghan (USFC)

Qualifiers

July 5 – Game D qualifiers

July 12 – Game F Qualifiers

July 19 – Games I and J

July 26 – Games G and H

August 2 – Games K and L

All-Ireland Series

August 9 – 2 x Football Quarter-Finals

TBH there's no real biggies in there for Sky barring maybe the Ulster semi-final at a push, but I suppose who knew Kilkenny would have been going through the qualifier route last year.

Fixed your post... this is going around the net and it is assuming Wexford win their quarter final first - quite offensive for anyone from the 5 counties listed in red.

Also, Sky will be showing all semi-finals and finals of the All Ireland alongside RTE.

Just a bit presumptuous alright there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 01:33:29 PM

There's no Munster championship matches included for Sky and games like Kilkenny/Offaly would only turn a man off hurling (no offence AZ!).

None taken. I'm sure people will be switching off when Offaly score their 8th or 9th goal.

Zulu

That's the spirit AZ, when all else fails pig headed blind optimism will see us through!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 01:42:21 PM
That's the spirit AZ, when all else fails pig headed blind optimism will see us through!

Hey, it worked for us for years. That's our problem. Not enough pig headedness these days!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:38:39 PM

None taken. I'm sure people will be switching off when Offaly score their 8th or 9th goal.

Yeah, but will ye manage any points this year?  :P

I am broadly in favour of the arrangement. The ideal solution would be to have the 14 games on TV3 here and on BBC/ITV/CH4 in Britain but you'd be loosing out on the Sky razzmatazz then and it will be interesting to see what they bring to the game and how much RTE can pull up their socks. If we don't have to look/listen to Marty Morrissey and Championship Matters this summer it will definitely be worth it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Yeah, I'm interested in the midweek show they have planned. Will it be Rachel Wyse and a few others doing a revista la liga type show? That would be worth watching. I actually just laughed out loud at the thoughts of Daithi Regan doing that show :D

seafoid

god be with the early 90s.

Sidney

Liveline is superb listening today.  ;D

The Plain People of Ireland are rising up.

AZOffaly

Actually had to stop listening after 10 minutes because it was making me angry. Unchallenged hyperbolic statements being allowed to sit out there. One woman said this would kill her mother. For fucks sake.