Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hejustkeepsdroppingballs on November 23, 2018, 11:44:01 AM
Country Bumpkin

'Got to include Tir na Nog......beat Dunloy in last year's B final and Creggan on the way'

You sure do they were impressive against us in final last year and blitzed Cargan in group game this year. They play the same system with U21 and Senior and it works for them.

they were good against us but to be fair we didnt play as well as we should have. got unlucky with a shot that hit the bar, bounced down and out only for them to go up the pitch and score.

thems the breaks i suppose but never the less they are still a good outfit.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 23, 2018, 01:06:49 PM
Country Bumpkin

'Got to include Tir na Nog......beat Dunloy in last year's B final and Creggan on the way'

You sure do they were impressive against us in final last year and blitzed Cargan in group game this year. They play the same system with U21 and Senior and it works for them.

they were good against us but to be fair we didnt play as well as we should have. got unlucky with a shot that hit the bar, bounced down and out only for them to go up the pitch and score.

The Randalstown lads have lost nobody from last year....a big complement of 'seniors' included and they were very close to winning promotion.....cute management...

The gooch

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 23, 2018, 01:27:31 PM
Country Bumpkin

The Randalstown lads have lost nobody from last year....a big complement of 'seniors' included and they were very close to winning promotion.....cute management...

is that's the case then surely aghagallon should be considered as favourites, have a very young squad more than holding their own in div 1. plus their minors won the league. plus they have some amount of lads with Hogan cup medals in their back pocket

belfastsaff

looks like we have an Armagh man here, yes they are a serious outfit but beaten easily by a good dunloy team be interesting to see how they do on sunday would expect them to win  IMO

The gooch

Quote from: belfastsaff on November 23, 2018, 02:29:57 PM
looks like we have an Armagh man here, yes they are a serious outfit but beaten easily by a good dunloy team be interesting to see how they do on sunday would expect them to win  IMO

Not at all, well documented that they have a very youthful side along with the numbers they had representing st ronans (saffron gael)

Footblock

Well we at Naomh Eanna would have thought that we would be pretty competitive in the U-21 Championship until the head of the CCC told us last night that we were being ejected from the A competiton but we could play in the B. Told us we had to play a game by 1st December (same day as our Ulster Final) but wasnt prepared to give us an extra 2-3 days grace. So if Rossa beat LD at the weekend they will go through despite us finishing 2nd in the group and not having lost any matches on the pitch. Only in Antrim would this happen. We weren't looking any favours just a bit of common sense and flexibility by the CCC.
Would the head of CCC have taken this stance if he thought here was a chance of getting a vote from us at County Convention for Chairman. I dont think so.

country bumpkin

Quote from: The gooch on November 23, 2018, 02:13:22 PM
Country Bumpkin

is that's the case then surely aghagallon should be considered as favourites, have a very young squad more than holding their own in div 1. plus their minors won the league. plus they have some amount of lads with Hogan cup medals in their back pocket

Of course Agjagallon are contenders but they were brushed aside by Dunloy in round one and had to rely of a 1-03 total without reply in the last few minutes to gain a narrow win over Moneyglass.......

The gooch

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 23, 2018, 03:04:18 PM
Quote from: The gooch on November 23, 2018, 02:13:22 PM
Country Bumpkin

Of course Agjagallon are contenders but they were brushed aside by Dunloy in round one and had to rely of a 1-03 total without reply in the last few minutes to gain a narrow win over Moneyglass.......

wasn't at either game so cant comment. both dunloy and moneyglass seem to be 2 good sides so losing to a cheating dunloy (just joking) doesn't seem that bad as it was the 1st game. also think with the new format, teams can afford an off performance in the group stage and get away with it.

look not saying aghagallon will win it, just was making a comment regarding the randalstown debate.

my pick are creggan, having  forwards like the 2 smalls, quinn and mcateer at u21 level is absolute deadly. 

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Footblock on November 23, 2018, 02:45:41 PM
Well we at Naomh Eanna would have thought that we would be pretty competitive in the U-21 Championship until the head of the CCC told us last night that we were being ejected from the A competiton but we could play in the B. Told us we had to play a game by 1st December (same day as our Ulster Final) but wasnt prepared to give us an extra 2-3 days grace. So if Rossa beat LD at the weekend they will go through despite us finishing 2nd in the group and not having lost any matches on the pitch. Only in Antrim would this happen. We weren't looking any favours just a bit of common sense and flexibility by the CCC.
Would the head of CCC have taken this stance if he thought here was a chance of getting a vote from us at County Convention for Chairman. I dont think so.
I hear the LD boys are fairly raging about NE cancelling their U21 game with LD 3 times at short notice.... Did NE really want the whole competition put on hold for them until December?

breakingball

Aye it's every day anantrim team gets to ulster final. What's the view like on that high horse. Could have easily caught games up in December. Rest of the teams could plough on with their games.

The problem now will be, you have a team capable of winning A playing in B.

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 23, 2018, 05:22:28 PM
I hear the LD boys are fairly raging about NE cancelling their U21 game with LD 3 times at short notice.... Did NE really want the whole competition put on hold for them until December?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 23, 2018, 05:22:28 PM

I'm sure they didn't but St Endas have a chance at representing Antrim in the later stages of all Ireland club championships, and some counties see that as an opportunity to promote their GAA on a national stage, think it's hard on them but they should concentrate solely on the final they are in,and send out a weaker under 21 team and hope for the best.

Playing this competition always throws up fixture issues, hard to please everyone
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Footblock

MR2  we would have fielded an understrength team but when 8 starters on your senior team are u-21 and another 5 or 6 subs it doesnt leave you with many players.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Footblock on November 23, 2018, 09:45:32 PM
MR2  we would have fielded an understrength team but when 8 starters on your senior team are u-21 and another 5 or 6 subs it doesnt leave you with many players.

Yeah it tough on yous, and even tougher on the ones in the B championship once you have your full allocation! As a club you have to weigh up your targets this year and it's an Ulster championship
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Hard to know what to make of all that. We should be supporting our clubs efforts in Ulster but at the same time U21 needs to keep moving.

Could they not have let St Endas U21s finish up group midweek and do the draw anyway based on either/or pairings. Plenty of the games have been played on week days already and plenty of teams have not fulfilled fixtures already. Plus they allowed a bit of movement on Dunloy.

As MR2 alludes it could make a balls of the B championship to the point it renders the groups ( along with the time of year responsible for the fixture pile ups in the first place) pointless.

Hopefully some solution to fixtures can be found next year.

bannside

Personally I think this is hard on St Endas. It's possible that they could lose the intermediate club final (hope I'm wrong here) but go on to be county under 21 champions...and at the minute in my book they would be favourites to do so!

We won the county intermediate a few years ago but I think our club celebrated an under 21 title much more so around the same time.

If it's not too late, surely a way could be found to keep the best teams in the competition. Otherwise both A and B Grade competitions lose a bit of their meaning.

The only other solution I can think of is when St Endas win the B competition they play off with the winners of the A grade to see who represents Antrim in the Creggan tournament.