Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Thankfully I have no Crossmolina blood in me smellyfairy and am proud to come from the Parish of Backs! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

smelly fairy

Well call yourself Saffron Sophia or something because I can't take you seriously otherwise. It's like McDanger- A Kmore man also- what's up with ye at all? Maybe ye're coming round to the maroon and white ideology..

Mayo4Sam

Turncodin bastards the pair of them smelly.
Sure farrandeelin is nearly ardagh, naother hop and its out to the deel.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Ahem... How am I a turncoat? ;) I still live in Knockmore and have never supported Crossmolina/Ballina while playing in Mayo and certainly do not come from little Ardagh!

Barney

Mayo4Sam

Sure farrandeelin is irish for I love cross isn't it?

Tubberman

QuoteFormer Olympic coach Jim Kilty is likely to be involved with the Mayo footballers in the coming season.

New Mayo boss John O'Mahony is keen to recruit Kilty, who would not be involved on a full-time basis but would attend training once a week. O'Mahony has already named Kieran Gallagher and Tommy Lyons as his selectors, while RTE analyst Martin Carney will act as a statistician and video analyst.

Kilty served as athletics' director of coaching for a 10-year period and was also the Irish squad's track and field coach at the Olympic Games in Seoul (1988) and Atlanta (1996). These days, he is better known as coach to top Irish hurdler Derval O'Rourke, who won a silver medal at this year's European outdoor championships in Gothenburg.

Kilty has also worked with the Leinster rugby team as well as the Tipperary and Wexford hurlers. When Tipp won the All-Ireland title in 2001, Kilty's SAQ methods were credited with playing a big part in their success. He was also aboard when Wexford won the Leinster title in 2004.

Wow, JOM bringing things to a new level of preperation already it would seem.

Just a small thing, should we start a new thread/rename this one, now that we have our man and preperations are underway for new season?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Msgr. Horan

Good point, we should be at least discussing the first round of the NL in a new thread by now.
So the lads will be well able to vault over the sideline hordings in Croker during their goal celebrations

Mayo4Sam

Love the handle msgr horan

Farrandeelin

I suppose we could rename this one to the handles thread! :D

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 01, 2006, 01:07:33 PM
I suppose we could rename this one to the handles thread! :D

Typical cross reply  :D

Anyway, great to see JOM bringing a level of professionalism to the mayo set-up already

AbbeySider

QuoteJim Kilty ...has also worked with the Leinster rugby team as well as the Tipperary and Wexford hurlers. When Tipp won the All-Ireland title in 2001, Kilty's SAQ methods were credited with playing a big part in their success...

I was curious and intrigued as to who exactly is this Kilty guy and what exactly are these mysterious SAQ methods; this is what I dug up...

SAQ
SAQ stands for Speed, Agility, Quickness. SAQ is a system of progressive exercise and instruction aimed at developing fundamental motor abilities to enhance the capability of players / athletes to be more skilful at faster speeds and with greater precision. SAQ Training plays an important role in motor co-ordination, acceleration, balance, agility and reaction development at all ages and at all levels. It can be incorporated into fitness programmes all year round - indoor and outdoor - in designated circuits, isolated drills, and integrated exercises, and most importantly, during ball work. The S.A.Q. spectrum covers everything from dynamic warm up and flexibility, to running and movement patterns, to explosive weight systems, to diet maintenance. Each piece of the S.A.Q. programme may be used individually or collectively and will generate tremendous results. Presently there are three levels of certification - SAQ Foundation AwardTM, SAQ Level 1 AwardTM , SAQ Level 2, SAQ Conditioning Award & SAQ Diploma

SAQ  Course Faciliator
Mr. Jim Kilty
is the former Director of Coaching with Athletics 1990-1999; Olympic Track and Field Coach 1988, 1996; Trainer to Tipperary Hurling Team 2001, 2002; He has also worked with inter-county football teams, the Leinster Rugby team as well as the UCD Rugby team. He is Director of S.A.Q. Ireland, a Company which offers coach education packages to N.G.B.'s, County Boards, Clubs and individual coaches who are engaged in all aspects of sport from juvenile to performance.

taken from http://www.waterfordsportspartnership.ie/saqcourse.shtml

It all sounds very exciting. They guy seems to know what he is talking about anyway! I hope they will concentrate on size and power too.
Looking forward to seeing some of this in action next year...

Its all getting very professional indeed

criostlinn

Good to see O'Mahoney getting a good crew on board. Only thing is I dont think we ever had a problem with fitness in the last 10 years. These players need to be toughened up pysically and mentally and I wonder what Johno has in store to do this.

highorlow

Mayo hurlers have launched a broadside at the county board for dispensing of the services of team manager Frank Browne.

Despite making great progress with the Westerners last year, Browne was sensationally sacked after county board officials felt he had spent too much money on basic equipment which most top club sides would take for granted.

The board was also unhappy about the fact that Browne held training sessions three times a week, despite being instructed to train them only twice to keep costs down.

"We're all shocked by the decision because Frank had already put a lot of plans ready to start next year," said Mayo hurler Derek Walsh.

"It's hard to understand why he didn't get the job again, especially after the year we had last year. 2007 will be the most important year for Mayo hurling for a long time because with the way the league is being restructured for 2008, what grade you play in is determined by how well you do in the league this year.

"If we're left idling any longer, then we're going to be in really serious trouble."

This is probably on the Mayo Hurling Thread but i thought i'd post it here since Money is the issue.

Obviously the cut backs have started on the Hurling since Johnno has started shopping.

As long as the CB stay clear of Johnno and the footballers i don't mind. We can worry about Liam after we get SAM and defend him again in 2008!

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on December 04, 2006, 08:40:15 PM
As long as the CB stay clear of Johnno and the footballers i don't mind. We can worry about Liam after we get SAM and defend him again in 2008!
this sounds like its from a more  benign county board member,
well look after ye but not yet. do you really each need a hurl each and didnt you buy a hurly ball last year if you've lost it just use a tennis ball
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere