The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 21, 2019, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 11:42:09 AM
Just reading Cheddar has taken over the reins at James Stephen s along with another good Laois man  Seamus Dwyer . These are the people the county board  need involved in the continued development of Laois hurling. But alas we know better .
Best of luck to the lads in Kilkenny I'm sure they'll do a right job there .

Spot on. Cheddar should be well paid and facilitated by Laois GAA to run underage hurling development. I would happily put my hand in my own pocket to help as would most other hurling people in Laois. So, who exactly is in charge of hurling development in Laois?
I wonder will he go for the recently advertised position of games manager

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on February 21, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
...A hurling supporters club with finance behind it might be a way to get the CB to listen...

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 21, 2019, 01:07:52 PM

...Cheddar should be well paid and facilitated by Laois GAA to run underage hurling development. I would happily put my hand in my own pocket to help as would most other hurling people in Laois....

Hear! Hear!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Cheddar wont have much time for that this year

Laois duo take the reigns at Kilkenny hurling club
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/02/21/the-laois-duo-take-the-reigns-at-kilkenny-hurling-club/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 21, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
I think Clonadmad hits the nail right on the head in his second paragraph of his last statement .

There was 4 maybe 5 lads sitting in the stand Saturday night that potentially would be given starters on this current  Laois team but for individual reasons have decided inter county hurling isn't for them presently . This has to be respected .

It makes you think though . It definitely effects a county our size more . I don't recall this level of apathy in the 80s following laois hurling.  Club level was fierce but they all togged out for the county . But then again I realise times and society have changed but still think something has gone astray here in Laois.

I think maybe you are not of an age to remember then!

You think . 😊😊😊😊 I'm taking that as a compliment

Ogie

Portlaoise unable to field an U14 Fèile Hurling team this weekend, withdrew from competition

burdizzo

I'd say it was a lack of interest, rather than an 'inability'. They've also dropped down to the 'B' at u13 level, along with Ballacolla and Camross. Makes you wonder. I believe Castletown wanted to drop back, too, but weren't allowed - despite the split w/ Slieve Bloom. So, that leaves only a 5 teams in the 'A' at u13, and 11 in the 'B'.

Mossy Bruce

Sorry, I'm going to show more of my ignorance of the hurling competitions, back there. What is the "Feile" hurling competition?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Every year there's a feile hurling festival somewhere in Ireland, and teams from all around the country participate at their own level. This year it's in Cork (I think). Every county would have a qualifying competition, and the winners of the 'A' and the 'B' of this in Laois would go forward to represent the county in different divisions.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 06:24:38 PM
Every year there's a feile hurling festival somewhere in Ireland, and teams from all around the country participate at their own level. This year it's in Cork (I think). Every county would have a qualifying competition, and the winners of the 'A' and the 'B' of this in Laois would go forward to represent the county in different divisions.
So, is this a somewhat short-term event? As in that the clubs within the counties play against each other (this weekend) to see which clubs go to the final competitions in Cork to represent their respective counties? Is this event focused towards underage players?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 10:06:10 AM
I'd say it was a lack of interest, rather than an 'inability'. They've also dropped down to the 'B' at u13 level, along with Ballacolla and Camross. Makes you wonder. I believe Castletown wanted to drop back, too, but weren't allowed - despite the split w/ Slieve Bloom. So, that leaves only a 5 teams in the 'A' at u13, and 11 in the 'B'.

U13 B Hurling result from this past week

Portarlington 4-10 Portloaise 1-01

Portlaoise minors are also propping up the Minor B league after losing to Ratheniska by 13 points and Mountrath by 9

No one is deriving any pleasure from this,Laois hurling needs a vibrant Portlaoise

Don Draper

I'm sorry but lack of interest is unacceptable.

burdizzo

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on April 07, 2019, 06:42:19 PM
So, is this a somewhat short-term event? As in that the clubs within the counties play against each other (this weekend) to see which clubs go to the final competitions in Cork to represent their respective counties? Is this event focused towards underage players?

Yes, exactly - it's for under-14s.

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on April 07, 2019, 06:48:28 PM

Portlaoise minors are also propping up the Minor B league after losing to Ratheniska by 13 points and Mountrath by 9

No one is deriving any pleasure from this,Laois hurling needs a vibrant Portlaoise

Yes, you're absolutely right - Laois hurling does need a strong Portlaoise. However, I would be flabbergasted if the above result wasn't Portlaoise 4-10 to Portarlington 1-1, and that is was entered on the website the wrong way 'round by mistake. Portarlington and St. Paul's combined had a strong team last year at u13 (won the 'B' championship, in fact), but St. Paul's split away this year at u13, and Port. barely have enough for a team. They are working very hard over there to keep it going, but still, I think a result like that is a bit beyond them. Could be wrong, BUT... I doubt it.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 08:17:44 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 07, 2019, 06:48:28 PM

Yes, you're absolutely right - Laois hurling does need a strong Portlaoise. However, I would be flabbergasted if the above result wasn't Portlaoise 4-10 to Portarlington 1-1, and that is was entered on the website the wrong way 'round by mistake. Portarlington and St. Paul's combined had a strong team last year at u13 (won the 'B' championship, in fact), but St. Paul's split away this year at u13, and Port. barely have enough for a team. They are working very hard over there to keep it going, but still, I think a result like that is a bit beyond them. Could be wrong, BUT... I doubt it.

Even if that was the case and I've spoken to a guy who said that was the scoreline

It doesn't excuse their non participation in the Feile and their performances in the minor B league

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 08:11:03 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on April 07, 2019, 06:42:19 PM

Yes, exactly - it's for under-14s.

What great type of event! I'll have to follow these more closely.
Thanks for educating me (again), Burdizzo!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!